Caladel (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Before humans, dwarves, gnomes, trolls and most races came to the world of Graatel the world was peopled by the del (translated people; a race equivelent to elves) who viewed themselves primarily as caretakers of the world after the years of Godling Wars. They existed as a single race for thousands of years without division until approximately 90,000 years E.M. (Exodus Magica; the time when magic was stripped from the world). At this time great portals opened over the world and a great deluge of creatures rushed forth trying to escape a raging battle that threatened to swallow Graatel and the world the refuges were fleeing from. Acting with haste the del summoned forth magic and sealed the portals leaving them with large groups of races that the del had not encountered before. The del launched into a lengthy discussion on what to do with the new comers as the various races created for themselves a new home on this strange world. The del decided to help them find a new place to live, which the new races insisted they already had one. Thus conflict began.
While warfare started to break out the elves tended to gravitate towards different groups of people: the hiradel (people of the sky) started to learn studied magic from the new races, insisting that the del could benefit much from the new arrivals; the corodel (people of the path) insisted on a 'natural' lifestyle and approach, advocating mass genocide or complete reclusion from the world; the sorodel (people of the way; later becomes the caladel) viewed the new individuals more as a commodity then a fellow set of races to be worked with.
The hiradel were effectively split between two separate factions. The first faction believed that working in harmony with the new comers would be the wisest course of survival and the best way forward. The other faction believed that the best way to treat with the new comers was to take what they wanted; they were ready and willing to use force, trickery and blackmail to achieve their ends. After a few years the difference in views led to an internal struggle which resulted in the caladel (people of the dark) being forced underground instead of facing extinction. The Departure occurred 75,000 years E.M. and the caladel have lived exclussively in the dark since.
The caladel are a tight knit but highly distrustful group. Living in the dark spaces of the world is incredibly difficult; without a large enough group the varied denizens of the dark would overwhelm even the sturdiest individual. This does not in any way make them nice, however, as the average caladel is constantly looking for an advantage. The caladel also tend to think of themselves as the rightful rulers of all they survey and often times they will enslave what they refer to as lesser races whenever a conflict arises.
Physically caladel are slight of build with white alabaster looking skin. Their eyes are generally pale to the point of appearing to lack an iris, leaving an individual studied in the light with a sense that only pupil remains. Their hair tends to the lightest spectrums usually being white, light blond or gray. Due to the limited nature of the deep caves the height is shorter than other elves.
Relations with the caladel are always strained at best. While they will treaty and trade with those of equal and greater power they do not reserve such measures with smaller or less powerful individuals. In any encounter it is almost certain that the caladel will size up the group, and if the belief exists that a number of people can be captured or slain for equipment they will almost certainly do so.
Caladel are also extremely xenophobic though they hide this tendency upon first meeting an person or creature. If there is little fear of reprisal they will let known their distaste for other races.
Caladel society exists primarily in the Lawful Evil spectrum. The inhabitants are often cruel and manipulative but they will obey the letter of the law in most cases. A prime example is that caladel are considered to be born free, however if you can through gile and trickery execute an agreement to servitude (i.e. slavery or indentured servitude) this is considered legally binding for as long as the bond holder wishes unless a time is specified on the contract.
- +2 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, –2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.
- Humanoid (Elf)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, caladel have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Caladel base land speed is 30 feet.
- Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
- Spell-like abilities: The caladel have a few spell like abilities they may use a limited number of times per day: Dancing Lights 3x day, Mage Armor 1x day. The caster level for innate abilities is equal to one half the characters level rounded up.
- Darkvision: The caladel have lost their low light vision and have gained dark vision. In complete darkness they are able to discern shapes and objects out to 120'.
- Weapon Proficiency: Caladel begin with proficiency in the following weapons: Hand crossbow, Shortbow, Rapier, Cor-ba (two-weapon knife joined at the hilt (1d3/1d3 19-20 x2)), and Blow guns.
- Spell Resistence: 14 + character level
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A caladel who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
- Light sensative: Whenever a caladel is exposed to bright light (anything that illuminates at least 30 feet of distance) they receive a -1 to attack, damage and armor class. If exposed to daylight, or the daylight spell, the caladel suffers the following: -2 to attack, damage, armor class, and saving throws as well as -4 to initiative.
- Automatic Languages: Curvaise and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Wizard.
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|1200 years||1700 years||2500 years||+4000 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 2”||+2d4||65 lb.||× (3d6) lb.|
|Female||4’ 0”||+2d3||55 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|