Bonarell (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The history of the Bonarell begins with desperation and a desire to survive at all costs. Deep in the frozen wastes tigers, leopards, and foxes struggle to survive in harsh terrain where food is sometimes scarce. These animals when faced with their own extinction merged spiritually to form the first of many Bonarell, who gained traits from their progenitors. The strength and ferocity of the tiger, the grace and agility of the leopard and the cunning mind of the fox. The Bonarell have risen to dominance in the frozen wilderness and icy caves that provide shelter from the near endless blizzards that shroud and protect their settlements. It is known to Bonarell, but kept a closely guarded secret that they are completely unable to breed amongst themselves and must seek mating opportunities with other races. It is said that it only takes a single Bonarell to start a new tribe and this has proven true time and again. The humanoid races who lay with the Bonarell will always conceive a litter of one to eight hybrids that will gestate for a single lunar cycle and be born the size of domestic cats. In the first three weeks of life a Half-Bonarell will triple in size and begin practicing hunting, foraging, and ambush techniques that will help it survive its harsh and unforgiving home. Physical growth will slow to a more normal rate once the cubs are about two months old and the size of small human children, completely bipedal and curious about everything they see. They will continue to grow and develop similarly to humans regardless of actual parentage until the first full moon of their twelfth winter in which they will undergo what is referred to as the Changing. During the Change Half-Bonarell cubs, over the course of an incredibly agonizing time until the full moon passes, become sexually mature and shed any lingering physical traits of the non-Bonarell parent, becoming fully fledged Bonarell. At this time if they are not already living in the frozen North they will be compelled to seek the frigid environs that birthed their race. Frozen wilderness will always be their true home and they will return to it to die, the Bonarell have no qualms about traveling to warmer regions, though they tend to get grouchy when overheated, they do their utmost to uphold the pride and honor of their species in the face of adversity, seeing heat as just another challenge to overcome.
Naturally curious and hardworking, the Bonarell is known for its ingenuity and quick thinking, as well as being the most notorious and effective ambush predator of the arctic wilderness. They are patient hunters that will pursue prey for hundreds of miles if need be. Fiercely loyal and protective of those who have earned such in their eyes. Bonarell settlements range from friendly to hostile; encounters with Bonarell depends greatly on the individual Bonarell's mood and circumstance rather than any particular racial mind-set. Quick and graceful in thought or action, the Bonarell can be stalwart companions or the most vicious of enemies. Their feral rage is as glacial as their homelands and woe be to those who make an enemy of even a single Bonarell, this incredibly long-lived predator will hunt and toy with an enemy making them suffer for years as they slowly strip away everything of value from their enemies' lives before finally killing them. Among friends the Bonarell is witty and charming in its way, smiling and laughing easily, almost never taking insult though they are quick to return the favor. A Bonarell's tongue is easily as sharp as its talon-like claws. Hunter-gatherers by nature, though they adapt easily and learn quickly new trades. The more complex or puzzling the endeavor the happier the Bonarell will be, though it will quickly grow bored after finishing its task with sometimes single-minded fervor and rapidly seek to begin another project, hopefully a more challenging prospect. Each individual Bonarell has a personal code of honor as defined by that Bonarell, which would suggest a bend toward lawful, but this would be inaccurate an assumption given that each Bonarell is very likely to have different views on such things. Lovers of shiny objects especially, precious gems, particularly those that match their own coloration, they sometimes take without thinking and this can quickly run them afoul of local law, though the Bonarell held no malicious intent and is quick to try to make amends if a peaceable solution can be reached, fighting or fleeing with the trinket, if not..
Standing bipedal with incredible muscle definition is the Bonarell ranging in height from the shortest female at 5 foot 2 inches to the tallest male at 6 foot 8 inches, with very few exceptions to this. Due to their lithe frames and lean, but dense musculature, as well as a heavy, durable skeleton their weight is usually falling somewhere between 200 and 300lbs, depending on height. Generally broad shouldered males and more dainty looking females with a tapered, shrewd-looking vulpine face ending in a cat-like muzzle with a speckling of downward-curved whiskers just behind the moist nose. In males, it has a square chin and chiseled jawline. Females having a jaw-droppingly feminine shape with full, pouting lips, an adorable nose, and long, beautiful eyelashes. Hair is usually kept medium to very long with either gender and matches fur patterning and coloration parted by a pair of large, tapered ears that always seem to be listening and turning rapidly toward new sounds. A coat of generally shortish, silky fur ranging from black to aubergine with thick ragged heliotrope striping (smoother and thinner striping in females) and dark and/or light silver leopard spotting between is the cave-dwelling Bonarell. The open arctic plains feature a Bonarell whose chest and abdominal regions being predominately white or black with black leopard spots and/or black tiger stripes throughout their fur overall while the rest of their bodies are typically a light or dark silver with the males tending toward darker shades and the females favoring lighter silver. Females tend to have silky, thick tufts of longish fur above the breasts of which can be up to three rows of two that decrease in size by a minimum of a full cup as they descend, nipple coloration will always be sable-blue or onyx regardless of gender or or subspecies. Eyes are solid spheres without pupils of typically silver, black, heliotrope, cyan, or emerald, though other coloration are not unheard of. Never "fiery" or "warm" colors. A slowly undulating tongue occasionally slips from their muzzle hanging nearly two feet long when fully extended, though it can be retracted to appear normal. A generally humanoid shape with the usual torso, arms, hands, and fingers that end in bulbous tips with retractable two-inch talons. Slightly-flared hips that match a trim, lithe body, and tight muscular backside molded closely against their form, in males, while the females have more rounded bottoms that stay shapely and tight from the rigorous demands of daily hunting life. They will grow up to nine fluffy tails as they age that can easily curl completely around their bodies to help insulate in frigid environs and will over time regrow lost tails. Legs are crooked into high knees with hocks and long feet, like those of a fox; cute bulbous toes decorate the ends.
Bonarell are an incredibly well-mannered, gracious and amicable race. They treat all, except those whom they consider barbaric and crude with at least a cordial respect, so long as they themselves are treated well in return, but especially toward scholars, dignified warriors, and masters of any sort of crafting. The creation and/or construction of new things is a fascinating subject to the Bonarell and they are quick to engage artisans of notable skill in conversation about process and technique.
The Bonarell are a relatively diverse race when it comes to the outlook of the individual on structured society. The settlements and villages of Bonarell have a Chieftain of some sort, usually an Alpha who has the final say on matters and their chosen advisers. However, even the Alpha is more likely to bend their own rules than abide by them. In addition, a great deal of Bonarell are extremely militant. Usually neutral or chaotic on the lawful-chaotic axis, leaning more toward towards chaos. Bonarell are generally neutral or evil, though their intentions are often rooted toward some noble goal and intended toward the "greater good" as that particular Bonarell defines such.
Any arctic or cold environment. Preferably one that is open, though there are cave-dwelling Bonarell that are even better ambush predators than their open wilderness counterparts. This translates to Tremorsense out to 60 feet instead of the usual Low-Light Vision as they are more adept at picking out unusual stirrings in the terra.
No preference, though it is a rarity for a Bonarell to be devout enough to be a cleric or paladin.
Common(Only if the Bonarell has had civilized contact with Common-speaking entities), Vulpine, and Feline(These two tend to blend seamlessly during typical conversation amongst Bonarell.
Hard consonants and flowing vowel structure is typical though some of the more feline inclined Bonarell have come to prefer rolling 's' and 'r' sounds to imitate hissing and growling respectively.
- Strength +2, Dexterity +2, Charisma +2: Bonarell are naturally strong, hardy individuals that adapt well to change and are always seeking to better themselves by learning all they can. Naturally personable, but rather easily misinterpreted as insultive as they tend to speak in literal terms based on their direct observations and seemingly nonsensical ramblings.
- Monstrous Humanoid: As anthropomorphic animals, they have the usual humanoid shape with strongly predominant animalistic features, they are naturally at home anywhere they were born, but given enough time (about 3 lunar months), they can adapt to a new terrain, except that their coloration will not change from its original hues. Similarly to elves, their colonies tend to blend well into the natural environs in which they are found.
- Versatile: Bonus Feat at Character Creation.
- Medium: As medium creatures, Bonarell gain no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Bonarell base land speed is 50 feet; Burrow is 10ft; Swim is 1/2 Land when not overencumbered.
- Natural Weapons: The retractable talons on a Bonarell’s hands and feet can deal 1d6 damage as an unarmed strike. Bites deal 1d4 damage on a melee touch attack. Talons can used to aid in climbing and running as well as aiding to catch oneself while falling. If within 5ft of any surface while falling the Bonarell can use their claws to slow and giving enough distance stop their descent completely. These talons can also be used to scale sheer surfaces as long as they can dig in, wood, rough stone, brick and mortar, etc.
- Improved Grab: A Bonarell that succeeds with two natural attacks in a single round to the same target gains an automatic grapple attempt against the target at +2, if the attempt succeeds the Bonarell may use its hind foot talons(if uncovered) to perform a single rake attack with both feet for 1d8 damage.
- Low-light Vision: A Bonarell can see up to 120ft in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, or similar forms of poor illumination. Bonarell retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions OR Tremorsense out to 60 feet in the cave-dwelling Bonarell.
- Darkvision: A Bonarell can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Scent: Bonarell are able to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Bonarell can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. When a Bonarell detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed - only its presence somewhere within range. Bonarell with the Track feat and Scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making an Intelligence (or Survival) check to find or follow a track using logical deduction rather than insight.
- Environmental Adaptation: Can travel without penalty in the environment that they are most familiar with. They also get a +4 bonus on Stealth and Survival checks made in their natural environment(Does not stack when multiple environmental factors are present such as day/nightime while in a forest).
- +2 racial bonus and proficiency with Acrobatics, Perception, Stealth, and Survival checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Bonar(A unique blending of Vulpine and Feline dialects). Bonus Languages: Any, at DM's discretion.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|250 years||500 years||1,500 years||None|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+2d8||200 lb.||+(10d10) lb.|
|Female||5' 2"||+1d8||180 lb.||+(10d10) lb.|