Bijou-Naître (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
the Bijou-Naître vary drastically in temperament and personality depending on caste and ability. Members of the higher castes have particular sensibilities not shared with their lower counterparts, while the lower castes often engage in "rougher" behaviors found unseemly or vulgar by those of the higher castes. Regardless of social status, all Bijou-Naître share an innate affinity with the mind and are more often than not friendlier with outsiders than they would be among their own kind.
A race of monogendered humanoids, the Bijou-Naître possess a very alien physiology. They are androgynous, tall, and slight in frame and build, often lending them a kind of delicate beauty in the eyes of other races. Beyond this, the Bijou-Naître have two striking features; the lack of a nose, and three eyes. Though younger members of the species have their third eye closed and use their two others for sight, as they mature and their psionic abilities grow, their primary eyes gradually lose sight as their third eye opens. Discoloration around the first two eyes commonly accompanies their maturation due to minor hemorrhaging under the skin from psionic stress.
As they grow older, the Bijou-Naître even come to depend on their innate psionic abilities for mobility, forgoing the use of their frail limbs in favor of levitation and telekinesis. The eldest and most powerful of their kind often shave their heads to emphasize their third eye and display their power and status.
Lower castes engage more often in manual labor and less often come to depend on their psionics for mobility. This often leads to a muscularity that is considered unsightly and unattractive. Unlike the higher castes, which prefer exaggerated or bold fashion, the lower castes often prefer simpler, more practical designs, and body marking or modification. Alterations of the body such as piercings, tattoos, or crystal eyes are looked down upon by the upper castes that value purity.
All this may be easily missed, however, as a Bijou-Naître will often use subtle telepathy to "glamour" others into the impression that it is of their same race.
The Bijou-Naître are known as powerful psionics, charismatic leaders, and cunning diplomats. They are a pragmatic and charismatic people that enjoy interacting with other species and, sometimes, subtly exploiting them. They are often either admired or feared, and either impression results in a general respect.
This public face, however, is not shared among others of their species. The cunning and pragmatism of the Bijou-Naître is often turned against themselves when interacting with their fellows. As such, their politics are often literally cut-throat. Deep social turmoil stemming from political rivalries, a deep-rooted caste system, and exploitation across castes threatens to topple their society into revolt and revolution.
Like many mundane races, the Bijou-Naître are not beholden to any particular alignment and may be any of their choosing.
The native world of the Bijou-Naître is Diamant, a vast world rich with deep crystal and littered with floating cities and space-age beauty. This belies a social system on the verge of revolt, and a ruthless underground culture.
Using their natural Charisma and cleverness, the Bijou-Naître have also inhabitted and colonized many other worlds, often ingratiating themselves with the local inhabitants and establishing colonies to mine for resources.
The Bijou-Naître are strictly secular and generally reject the idea of mysticism or magic in favor of the science and the explainable. They will often adamantly deny the existence of magic, insisting that a logical explanation exists even for miracles.
The Bijou-Naître communicate telepathically, making verbal language mostly unnecessary. Regardless, their throaty ancestral tongue shares the name of their homeworld: Diamant.
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, −2 Constitution, −2 Strength: Eons of emphasis on the mind over the body has left them physically frail, but possessing great mental accuity.
- Humanoid(Psionic): every member of the species has innate psionic abilities.
- Bijou-Naître base land speed is 25 feet
- Psionic Mobility (Ps): A Bijou-Naître may sacrifice a number of their daily power points equal to half their Intelligence modifier (round up) in order to levitate up to two feet off the ground for the duration of the day. They retain their base movement speed and are unimpeded by terrain effects that affect those in contact with the ground. Magical or psionic effects may still target them and they gain no bonus to dodge, jump, climb, or tumble rolls.
- Telepathy (Su)
- Blind-Fight (Ex): Due to their eventual dependence on psionics to sense their surroundings, Bijou-Naître receive Blind-Fight as a bonus feat.
- Naturally Psionic: Bijou-Naître gain 1 bonus power point at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- +2 racial bonus on Spot checks
- All Bijou-Naître may select Auto-hypnosis as a class skill regardless of class.
- Automatic Languages: Diamant, Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Psion. Rebel Variant: Soul Knife
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|62 years||93 years||120 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Androgyn||5' 8"||+2d20||20 lb.||× 2d6 lb.|