Battle Knight Bard of Sublime Chord (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Handsome Fight Bard, to show the bard can be useful, and he not only needs to give bonus to your party friends. A good fighter, with nice stats and maximized CHA, and 9th level spell slots, to be epic read. A non-break game build.
- Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG)
- Eldritch Knight
- Maybe Apprentice (p. 176)
- Players Handbook 3.5
- Complete Arcane
- Sublime Chord (p. 60)
- Player's Guide to Eberron
- Maybe Aereni Focus (p. 20)
- Complete Mage
- Abjurant Champion (p. 50)
- Complete Champion
- Knowledge Devotion (p. 60)
- Unearthed Arcana
- Complete Warrior
- Complete Divine
- Dungeon Master's Guide 2 (DMG2)
- Dragon Magic
- Races of the Dragon
- Magic item Compendium (MIC)
- Book of Exalted Deeds (BoED)
- Soulfire (p. 112)
Game Rule Components
Point Buy Alternatives
Starting Ability Scores (Before Racial Adjustments):
Standard 25 point buy
Challenging 22 point buy
Tougher 28 point buy
High-Powered 32 point buy
If your DM allow you to get Apprentice feat and create a mentor with listen, get it. If this is possible, get any race with CHAR bonus, or go with human in doubt.
In a straight build(no apprentice), any elf, the best is: Star Elf. Elf is required for Aereni Focus feat, and chose listen as skill.
If star elf not allowed, another standard elf is half-elf. No CONS-2, more HP.
In this build, the chosen is Star Elf.
|1st||SRD:Bard 1||+0||+0||+2||+2||Aereni Focus (Listen)||Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1||By race: Otherworldly|
|3rd||SRD:Bard 3||+2||+1||+3||+3||Knowledge Devotion (arcana)||Inspire Competence|
|4th||SRD:Bard 4||+3||+1||+4||+4||Ability Increase: Charisma +1|
|5th||SRD:Paladin (of Freedom Maybe) 1||+4||+3||+4||+4||Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 1/day|
|6th||SRD:Paladin (of Freedom Maybe) 2||+5||+4||+4||+4||Combat Casting||Divine Grace, Lay on Hands|
|7th||Abjurant Champion 1||+6/+1||+4||+4||+6||Abjurant Armor, Extended Abjuration||+1 level of Bard|
|8th||Abjurant Champion 2||+7/+2||+4||+4||+7||Swift Abjuration||+1 level of Bard, Ability Increase: Charisma +1|
|9th||Abjurant Champion 3||+8/+3||+5||+5||+7||Open Feat||+1 level of Bard|
|10th||Eldritch Knight 1||+9/+4||+7||+5||+7||fighter bonus feats (Open Feat)|
|11th||Sublime Chord 1||+9/+4||+7||+5||+9||Bardic lore, bardic music|
|12th||Abjurant Champion 4||+10/+5||+7||+5||+10||Open Feat||Arcane Boost||+1 level of Sublime Chord, Ability Increase: Charisma +1|
|13th||Eldritch Knight 2||+11/+6/+1||+8||+5||+10||+1 level of Sublime Chord|
|14th||Eldritch Knight 3||+12/+7/+2||+8||+6||+11||+1 level of Sublime Chord|
|15th||Eldritch Knight 4||+13/+8/+3||+9||+6||+11||Open Feat||+1 level of Sublime Chord|
|16th||Eldritch Knight 5||+14/+9/+4||+9||+6||+11||+1 level of Sublime Chord, Ability Increase: Charisma +1|
|17th||Eldritch Knight 6||+15/+10/+5||+10||+7||+12||+1 level of Sublime Chord|
|18th||Eldritch Knight 7||+16/+11/+6/+1||+10||+7||+12||Open Feat||+1 level of Sublime Chord|
|19th||Eldritch Knight 8||+17/+12/+7/+2||+11||+7||+12||+1 level of Sublime Chord|
|20th||Eldritch Knight 9||+18/+13/+8/+3||+11||+8||+13||+1 level of Sublime Chord, Ability Increase: Charisma +1|
Bard 4/ Paladin 2/ Eldritch Knight 9/ Sublime Chord 1/ Abjurant Champion 4
|1st||Improvisation, Undersong, SRD:Silent Image, open|
|2nd||SRD:Tongues, Whirling Blade, celerity, Lesser, Blade Brothers|
|4th||Friendly Fire(Exemplars of Evil) or Ray Deflection, Sirene's Grace, Dimension Door, Ruin Delver's Fortune or Celerity or SRD:Legend Lore|
|5th||Draconic Polymorph or Sakkratar's Triple Strike, Duelward or SRD:Wall of Force, Dancing Blade, Dragonsight|
|6th||SRD:Antimagic Field, Superior, Resistence or SRD:Disintegrate, Empyreal Ecstasy, anticipate teleportation, Greater|
|7th||Elemental Body, Energy Immunity, SRD:Greater Shadow Conjuration, SRD:Limited Wish|
|8th||SRD:Greater Shadow Evocation or Arcane Fusion Greater, SRD:Moment of Prescience, Celerity Greater|
|9th||SRD:Time Stop, SRD:Shapechange or SRD:Mage's Disjunction|
If allowed, take this:
- Drake's Helm
- or Cowl of Warding (MoF,200800 gp, head slot)
- Buy Knowstones (Dragon Mag #333 p.93.). Bard and Wiz/sorc list, and combo with Arcane Disciple
- Wand of extend Wraithstrike (11250 gp)
- Wand of Favor of Martyr or Favor of Ilmater (21000 gp)
- SRD:Metamagic_Rod of quicken spell (35000/75500/170000 gp)
- Wand of Alter Fortune (23500 gp)
- Ring Spell-battle (MIC, 12000gp, ring)
- SRD:Ring of Wizardry
- Slippers of Battledancing (DMG2, 33750 gp, foot)
- Belt of Magnificence (MH, 200000 gp, belt)
- or Bracer of cons +6 and Cloack of Char +6.
- Tomes. For power attack and max CHAR.
- SRD:Hand of Glory (DM, 8000 gp, neck)
- Casting gloves (MIC, 2000 gp, gloves)
- Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE. 75000 gp, face slot)
- or SRD:Third Eye of Conceal (MIC, 120000, face slot)
- SRD:Psychoactive Skin of protheus (MIC, 84000 gp, slotless)
- SRD:Psychoactive Skin of troll (MIC, 61200 gp, slotless)
Good spells to take to Drake's Helm:
- Mithral Chain shirt
- SoulFire (BoED) +4
- Called(MIC) +2000
- Healing(MIC) +8000
- Greater Healing(MIC) +24000
- Easy Travel(MIC) +1500
- Quickness(MIC) +5000
- Speed(MIC) +6000
- Daylight(MIC) +10000
- Aporter(MIC) +10000
- Greater Agility(MIC) +12500)
- Greater Stamina(MIC) 12500
- Mithral +1100
- Crystals for Armor(MIC):
- of Adaptation 3000
- Restfull 500
- Screening 3000
- Mind cloack 10000
It's a core build, many things is open to create a PC as you wish. More variants in this section.
More HP build
Eldritch Knight is a good class to start epic levels, but if your game not go in epic lands, or more HP is required, do:
- Change stats to increase the CONS
- Be something with Unholy Toughness
- Change Eldritch Knight 2 by Abjurant Champion 5
- Change Eldritch Knight 3 by Spellsword 1
- Buy more HP with feats
Persist is not good because you are always vulnerable to disjunctions or similar effects, and as a spontaneous cast you no have a long know spell list(bard and sublime chord don't help).
Basically, take SRD:Extend Spell and SRD:Persistent Spell as open feats.
But, a persistent bard have some nice options:
- Metamagic song, SRD:Extra Music and Joyous Star Song (5800 GP, Magic of Faerun p. 161)
- Dragon Easy metamagic
- Pratical metamagic (Hard to get)
- Using handbooks: Metamagic and You: A Thesis
Mage unfriendly sir build
A nice build, like 'The Black Mage destroy my village, vendetta!'. Antimagic field sucks a little less, and mages suffer in your side.
Against non mages, not very good, but usable. Reduce level of spell cast a lot, maybe Abjurant Champion 5 required.
- Take Selective Spell or Extraordinary Spell Aim. Swift disjunction or AMF without you is like Christmas.
- Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Protection
- Maybe Pierce Magical Concelment ?
- Feats to damage SRD:Power Attack or something like.
- Remember, a dragon mage in a AMF is a dragon.
Power Combat build
Five feats make a good charge fighter. Get wands for pounce(UMF is a class skill for you), ways to increase damage and things like that.
AMF and Disjunctions dont worry you too much because you don't have too much spells buffs. And time stop buff you in time.
- Charge is a good(valorous weapon, power attack, leap attack, mount, pounce wand)
- Arcane Strike
- Get less damage in front lines: Displacement, Elusive Target and Empyreal ecstasy spell (Abjuration swift and extended)
- I don't like, but if attack rolls is a problem: Snowflake Wardance
- If feats starvation is coming, get 2 levels in Spellsword and get a extra Feat.
- Slippers of Battledancing stack good with pounce...
- Wraithstrike via (wand|blackmagic|DM-subornation|Kittens)
More magic Combat build
If you is a single mage on party, maybe increase magic is a good choice for you. Nice options:
- Change Abjurant Champion 4 or Eldritch Knight 2 for Sublime Chord 2 (to get Song of Arcane Power)
- Get Practiced Spellcaster
- Get Arcane Disciple to access cleric spell domain (Luck domain = Miracle!)
- Maybe Versatile Spellcaster?
- Arcane Preparation (for swifts)
- Improved Bull Rush
- Shock Trooper
- SRD:Power Attack
- Arcane Strike
Maybe get 2 levels in spellsword in place of Abjurant Champion, for one more feat(Extraordinary Spell Aim, maybe).
- Good saves, and can be more better! (+24/+21/+26)
- Nice BAB and attacks
- Full 9th level spell progression
- Epic ready!
Well... Polymorph. Well... Draconic Polymorph... Well... Shapechange... Well... Skin of Proteus...
See Death Giant, pretty nice Huge giant with CHAR powers for shapechange. (saves with Ruin Delver's Fortune: +37/+34/+39 )
Starmantle spell or item.
- no play test
- Low levels go slow, maybe
- HP maybe low
- Limited spell list and slots. A little less than normal.
- Locked actions. Abjurant Champion burn swift actions.
- Antimagic field sucks, but not too much.
- Divine Grace and spells don't work
- SRD:Mage's Disjunction is a pain in the ass, but Can be circumvented
- Greater Shadow Evocation for Shadow Contingency!
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Optimized Character Builds