Aquans (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Authors Note: This race is designed for my campaign setting Vermadad, however it can be used for other campaign settings with modifications as you see fit.
Aquans are a curious group, they never stay in one place, nor do they like focusing in one thing, preferring to learn and study many different skills, while they tend to curious in learning new skills, its difficult to keep their interest in something for more than a few days. Aquans also like being prepared, Aquan Fighter will almost always carry a Trident, a shortbow (with plenty of regular, and blunt arrows (see races of the wild)), a dagger (or a shortsword), a club (or a mace) just to fight any kind of enemy, in any situation, and almost always take bonus feats for multiple styles of fighting. Aquan Wizards (who are somewhat rare) almost never specialize and learn as many spells as they can (making sure they have damaging spells of every energy type), Aquan Rogues, always make sure they spread there skills broadly, Aquan Sorcerers and Bard (which are rare) always learn spells from as many spell schools as possible.
An apt description of an Aquan is a "Fish person", they are humanoid they have scaled body with blues (with light and farks being of equal tendency) being the most common, with grays, greens, and oranges being all being common as well and reds, pinks, yellows, brown, and purples all falling under the category of rare but not unheard of and while some Aquans, (or others who see them) might describe them selves as black or white, they almost (if not always) a particularly dark or light shade of gray.
They have Gils on there neck (which close up when on Land), Webbed hands and feet, small hard fins, about 2 to 4 inches long (use 1d3+1 if you want to randomly determine their height) sticking out of their hands.
Aquans don't have hair of any kind (Including eyelashes, eyebrows, body hair, facial hair), their eyes look like human eyes and of human colors (Blue, Green and Brown), though unlike humans Blue eyes are the most common, and with green eyes being the next most common, and brown eyes being the rarest (though they are about as common as blue eyes in human).
Aquans have exactly the same diversity as humans in terms of height and weight and there gender differences in body type is as apparent in humans while men being slightly taller, and having more muscle, and women possessing breast, Aquan lack ears though they still have 2 holes in the side of their head that hear and as such have no penalty to hearing.
Aquan fully mature at around 20 years but take while to become adventurers due to them being unfocused in their pursuits, they live for about 400 years without any notable aging then age rapidly for the next 10-20 years before dying of old age.
Aquans have an odd relations with goblins, while goblins love to teach and aquans love to learn, aquans hate spending too much time learning one skill, and goblins get annoyed when aquan lose interesting.
Aquans rarely meet dwaves in their travels and when they do they rarely get along, dwarves liking a constant social structure get frustrated with how fickle the aquan are, and aquan worshiping one of the evils gods doesn't help. Orphan aquans who are raised by dwarves are tend to be raised among the wood-hairs because of their interesting in learning new things, however often times aquan find the monotony of thing tire some and are likely to run away from home.
The Aquan due there curious nature tend to lean towards chaos, and sense they usually worship Verastol they are generally considered evil by the standards of Vermadad, (if you are not playing in Vermadad, and still using their basic flavor they lead towards neutrality)
Aquans in any legal sense do not own any lands, however they are the inhabits of the many outlining islands of Vermadad. They travel all round the
Aquan in generally worship Verastol, a few aquan might experiment with worshiping other gods for a few years but often quickly grow bored of doing so.
Aquans speak common and also speak Aquan, Aquan is a language spoken among the aquan a freeform language with a variable sentence structure. Aquans will dabble in learning languages and will learn any language.
Aquan tend to only have one name given at birth but change their names quite frequently much to the annoyances of others, parents like to be creative when naming their children, they are no consistent rules for aquan names, though names belonging to other races are somewhat common, as are names based off animals (especially fish), plants (espically underwater plants), personality traits (particularly ones they view themselves as having), skills and abilities (typically ones they have that they find variable). Aquans do not have last names of any kind, in the rare situation they are traveling with someone else with the same first name they generally voluntarily change their name to something else.
- Humanoid (Aquatic, Aquan)
- -2 Wisdom, Aquans are not very focused and somewhat compulsive
- Medium: As Medium creatures, aquans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size
- Aquan base land speed is 30 feet: Aquan base swim speed is 30 feet
- Amphibious (Ex): Aquans can breathe both air and water.
- Due to its Aquatic nature, an aquan can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
- Weapon Proficiency: Aquans receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency (Trident) as a bonus feat. If the aquan start in a class is already proficient with a trident they get Weapon Focus (Trident) as a bonus feat instead even if they don't meat the prerequisites. Most Aquans are taught to use the trident as it is ideal for underwater combat.
- A -2 racial penalty to Concentration checks, Aquan are unfocused.
- Diversity: Aquans are only required to spend 1 skill point per rank in a cross class skill (though the skill are limited to the normal maximum amount of ranks in a cross-class skills).
- An Knowledge: Aquans (and the other Ans) pick up a lot of stray knowledge through traveling the lands. They may make a special aquan knowledge check equal to their intelligence modifier plus half their character level to see whether they know some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items or noteworthy places (If the Aquan has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), they gain a +2 bonus on this check.) A successful Aquan knowledge check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. An aquan may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random. The DM can determine the Difficulty Class of this check by referring to the bard's Bardic Knowledge table. For the purposes of prestige class prerequisites this racial feature counts as Bardic Knowledge. If an Aquan takes a level into a class with the Bardic Knowledge class feature an Aquan technically does lose An Knowledge, however bardic knowledge checks now add half their character level to Bardic Knowledge checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan. Bonus Languages: Any (excluding secret languages).
- Favored Class: All. Aquans hate to specialize and find to difficult to keep pursuing something unless they learn take time off to learn something new, unlike other classes aquans do not get an experience penalty for multiclassing, in fact they get an experience penalty for not multiclassing, for every 4 consecutive levels an Aquan goes without taking a level in a new class or a new prestige class (sans the Factotum which due the classes dabbling nature, Aquans can as many consecutive levels without an experience penalty). the Aquan will get a -10% penalty to XP (this penalty increases to -20% after 8 consecutive levels, -30% after 12 consecutive levels, -40% after 16 consecutive levels, and -50% after 20 consecutive levels, this penalty does not increase after 20 levels). This penalty will go away the moment an Squan takes a level in a different class or prestige class.
|20 years||+ 8d6||+ 9d6||+ 10d6|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|400 years||405 years||410 years||+1d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× 2d4 lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||85 lb.||×2d4 lb.|
Note that this height does not include their fin