Alteaevantae (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Alteaevante are born from Air Genasi and Xephs. They tend to be withdrawn due to their empathic abilities, however they flock to areas with crowds. Due to their high levels of empathy, they feel the emotions of all those around them. This causes their own weaker emotions to often be overrun.
They rarely allow others into their homes, for such places are sanctuaries to them and they don't like to risk having others imprint their homes with emotional resonances. Alteaevantae are attuned to emotional resonances left in any location and can discern powerful emotions and feelings.
Their height ranges from 6' to 8' tall, with females often being slightly shorter than their male counterparts. Alteaevantae are about half as light as they look, being partly composed of energy. Their skin color is the normal hue for a member of either parent race.
The corneas of their eyes are black. The eyes are integral in perceiving thought resonances, a skill they develop with age and experience. However, such a skill is not without its dangers, as an Alteaevantaes must take care not to get wrapped up in the senses of others long past. As they age, an Alteaevantae's cornea will slowly begin to gain cataracts until they go completely blind.
Their hair, often worn long, is white at birth and changes hue due to the emotions of the person that they're absorbing. Their fingernails and toenails are black. At puberty, these nails much tougher than most nails and can be protracted and retracted. Vaporous form makes Alteaevantae appears as a vague mist or ghost.
They are usually wary of everyone and will avoid those with extreme emotions. Once an Alteaevantae has been given a chance to see the intentions of others they will lend their trust. Once an Alteaevantae has decided that someone is a friend they will never abandon them no matter what happens or what those friends become. Alteaevantae are extremely loyal and would die for those they fully trust.
Alteaevantae can range in alignment depending on individual goals and means, but are typically lean towards chaotic.
Alteaevantae have no lands of their own. They are found in cities, where they are able to surround themselves with other creatures.
Alteaevantae have no set religion; they tend to worship the God(s) they find to be the most inspiring. Those that choose a single deity tend to follow Somata, the goddess of the wind and climate.
Usually Alteaevantae speak Common, Auran, and Xeph. They can, however, learn other languages.
Level Adjustment Explained
Due to the Alteaevantae's ability to fly, influence thoughts, and the ability to alter themselves, they have a level adjustment of +3.
- +2 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -4 Strength: Alteaevantae are highly intelligent. Due to their incorporeal nature, they have very low strength.
- Medium Outsider (Air, Extraplanar)
- Outsider (Native): Their body is from the Material Plane but their soul is from another plane.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Alteaevantae have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Alteaevantae base land speed is 40 feet and its fly speed is 40 feet (perfect).
- Darkvision up to 60 feet.
- Alteaevantae do not eat or sleep but they can.
- +3 racial bonus on Hide, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Move Silently, and Sense Motive checks.
- Alter self (Sp): Alteaevantae can use Alter Self at will to assume any humanoid form and can remain in that form indefinitely.
- Vaporous Form (Sp): Alteaevantae can dematerialize to become almost invisible at will. +10 on Hide and Move Silently checks.
- Calm Emotion (Su): When an Alteaevantae physically contacts another creature, they must make a Will save DC 10 + creature's HD + creature's Charisma modifier. Creatures affected cannot take violent actions (although they can defend themselves) or do anything destructive. Any aggressive action against or damage dealt to a calmed creature immediately breaks the spell on all calmed creatures.
- Detect Thoughts (Su): Alteaevantaes constantly detects the thoughts of all creatures within 60 feet. They gain a +4 insight bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Sense Motive checks against targets within 30 feet. A target’s Will save prevents you from reading its thoughts.
- Read Thoughts (Su): Alteaevantae know the surface thoughts of the mind of any creature in the area that fails a Will save.
- Probe Thoughts (Su): Alteaevantae can access all the subject’s memories and knowledge, ranging from memories deep below the surface to those still easily called to mind.
- Choose to Remain (Su): When an Alteaevantae is dropped to -10 HP or lower, he may choose to instead rise up to cloud level and heal in vaporous form. Its HP becomes restored to 1 HP per HD above 0 and this choice must be made as soon as his HP drop to -10. After one week, they are restored to their physical body.
- Automatic Language: Common, Auran, and Xeph. Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Bard, Psion, Sorcerer.
- Level Adjustment: +3.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|500 years||1000 years||2000 years||+infinite years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6'4||+2d10||75 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||6'2"||+2d10||55 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|