Talk:Whirling Blade (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Yes, I realize that Uncanny Dodge and Evasion are not feats as such, but I think they should be available options for their bonus feat. There is a reason that Run or Stand gives a flat bonus to speed or a level-based bonus to health you know. Health is a heavily inflation-adjusted statistic. Speed is not. 5 extra feet of speed helps you almost as much at level 20 as it does at level 1. 5 extra points of health would barely help a Wizard with a negative constitution modifier at level 20. --Foxwarrior 22:32, 4 October 2008 (MDT)
- Looks fine. But... what happened to the BAB and saves? O.o Perhaps you were trying to make good BAB, like a fighter, and a Good Fort and Reflex save like a ranger, with some special class feature to grant you extra attacks (and that is a LOT of attacks I have to say, check the balance of giving that many attacks). In any case, at the moment the Whirling Blade barely has the fighting ability of a wizard, no matter how many attacks he has. -- Eiji 07:10, 5 October 2008 (MDT)
- At level 20, the difference in BAB between the Fighter and Whirling Blade is 9, and the Whirling blade has 2.5 times as many attacks at that level. Since BAB is a magnitude statistic, while attacks are more of a flat statistic (Although BAB goes down for later attacks), The fighter is probably weaker at low levels and the whirling blade is probably weaker at high levels. What sort of changes would you suggest to balance that? Shift more of the abilities to later levels? --Foxwarrior 13:30, 5 October 2008 (MDT)
- Twice as many attacks in an interesting idea, but what happens when you see someone with high AC? With only a +11 attack bonus, chances are you would miss every time unless you got a natural 20 against something worthy of a level 20 character. It has promise, but the low BAB would be insurmountable at higher levels because those extra attacks don't mean squat if you can't hit on your highest bonus. I see a Weapon Finesse thing working with a rapier or something but you would need a really high Dexterity score to make up for the BAB deficiency. - Amalagh
First and foremost, i like the idea, i will use this class to a rapetastic result utilizing previous classes BAB and high crit ranges. But the most glaring problem is the low BAB. You cannot increase it without having to remove attacks to keep it balanced, and the high number of attacks is the theme of the class. The other way to fix this is to find ways to lower the enemies AC. I saw that you had one ability in there to sacrifice attacks for AC, but this is a far way from bridging the gap. I would recommend either finding ways for this class to find others flatfooted, ignore armor, or increase the crit range, that way if you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it will stick. But i digress, these are but the ramblings of a madman.
Power - 1/5 I give this class a 1 out of 5 because it's terribly underpowered. At first glance, I thought "wow, ten attacks! Cool!" Then I came to my senses and realized that, firstly, this class does not adhere to the three standard BAB choices (Bad = one half your level, Medium = 3/4 your level, and Good = your level). This is not a terrible problem, as homebrew is meant to be somewhat different (although some may take exception to this). Secondly, this class has the approximate BAB of a wizard, which basically means you can't hit anything with a good normal AC most of the time. Sure, you have lots of attacks, but if none of them it then you're wasting your time. The only way this class could be competitive is if you use all the other benefits you can think of to increase your attack rolls. Long story short: it's a lot of dice to roll without much end product.
Now, on to the other class features. The saves are not standard; there's either good (up to +12) or bad (up to +6), nothing in between. This is being nitpicky, but it's also easy to fix. Impatient is unnecessary; it just seems to add a deficiency where one isn't needed (you only get three free skill points per level anyway).
The bonus feats and Standing Dodge are nice (particularly the latter). You would need the bonus feats to make up for the crappy BAB. - TG Cid 12:44, 28 July 2009 (MDT)
Wording - 3/5 I give this class a 3 out of 5. There was nothing too long-winded or difficult to understand and it's clear that the author has a pretty good grasp of the English language, but the quality doesn't really jump out as superb either. - TG Cid 12:44, 28 July 2009 (MDT)
Formatting - 3.5/5 I give this class a 3.5 out of 5 because it follows the preload pretty well, but some sections are not completely filled in (namely Playing a Whirling Blade). The last section has also been cut entirely. The interwiki linking is non-existent. The class table should link to the abilities. - TG Cid 12:44, 28 July 2009 (MDT)
Flavor - 2/5 I give this class a 2 out of 5 because it seems like it could have a niche somewhere in the game, but at the same time seems trapped between the normal, heavily armored fighter and the glass cannon Dex-based fighter. - TG Cid 12:44, 28 July 2009 (MDT)
Sadly, there have been no edits since last year, so this rating is probably falling on deaf ears. - TG Cid 12:44, 28 July 2009 (MDT)
Ownership & Rework
If this class is abandoned, may I take it over and attempt to rework it to balance it out and help it adhere to the normal standards while still retaining its uniqueness.
Wait, why is this class about to be deleted? Don't delete it; it seems to be finished! Why delete a finished class? And why is it labeled as abandoned just because it's finished and doesn't need editing?
- This is a procedural proposal due to an expiring "abandoned" template. This template was placed due to the balance issues highlighted above. However, I note that ThunderGod's rating was in 2009, and there were significant edits in 2010. Since you are interested in the class, would you be so kind as to look at the notes above, then read through the class, if you think that the issues have been addressed then the templates can be removed. Marasmusine (talk) 15:27, 24 November 2015 (MST)
- Ya, I can do that.--Sage of Souls (talk) 07:46, 25 November 2015 (MST)
- Ok, I've organized and balanced out the abilities of the Whirling Blade class a bit and I'm going to officially take it over for any further needed changes until/unless the original created states otherwise, so I'm going to remove the abandoned and deletion templates.--Sage of Souls (talk) 08:51, 25 November 2015 (MST)
- Er, how do I remove them? XD--Sage of Souls (talk) 08:55, 25 November 2015 (MST)