Dragona (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
For a people who cling to a tribal social structure, dragona are oddly at ease toward strangers... as long as said strangers aren't other dragona. They tend to be friendly toward other humanoids, welcoming them into their camps with open arms. On the other hand, dragona are unfriendly toward dragona from differing tribes, and thus all intertribal matters are discussed with tails raised.
 Physical Description
Dragona are slightly shorter than humans. There is little difference in height between male and female dragona, though females are slightly heavier. Dragona are always dark-skinned, ranging from what might be a deep tan on a human to a dusky near-black color, with hair in similar earthy shades... of these, green seems to be the most common, followed by shades of brown and black. Most dragona have amber eyes, though other shades of brown, green, and occasionally lavender aren't exactly rare. A dragona also has a scattering of silvery-blue scales, the pattern of which differs from clan to clan; one clan might have these scales on the feet and knuckles and along the spine and bridge of the nose, while another has them crusting the shoulders and thighs in a manner like armor, and so on.
Rather predictably, dragona tend to dress simply, most often in animal hides. Females often cover as much as possible, while males are more likely to don little other than a simple breechclout, the better to show off battle scars and tattooes. Male dragona usually shave their heads except for a single braid which is never cut, and more often than not they will also groom their facial hair into distinctive styles rather than shave it off. Females never cut their hair, instead wearing it in intricate braids. Any jewelry worn is usually bone, with smaller pieces (such as piercings) in metal. Males almost invariably tattoo themselves as they reach adulthood; these tattooes are effectively the history of that dragona's great accomplishments. Conversely, female dragona rarely sport such body art, except in the case of wizards or sorceresses.
Truth be told, dragona get along better with other races than they do with each other. Humans, elves, and pretty much everyone else are judged on an individual basis, based solely on how they treat the clan, and not by what race they happen to be. Despite this, most are a bit unnerved to find a group of dragona following them, if only to ensure they pass safely. Orcs, however, are brutes and raiders, to an extent that dragona find terrifying. While a dragona wouldn't be openly hostile toward an orc, the orc would still have to work hard for the same amiable treatment other humanoids receive.
Dragona are always unfriendly toward dragona who don't show their scales. They are also unfriendly to dragona whose scales reveal them to be of another clan. Much of this is due to competition for hunting grounds, though a good deal more can be ascribed to a certain sense of draconic pride in the clan. If other humanoids accompany a dragona from another clan, they are usually ignored in favor of harassing the foreign dragona.
Dragona have a strong tendency toward chaos, though encountering a lawfully-aligned dragona isn't entirely out of the question. For all their strife toward each other, dragona also have a stronger tendency toward good than evil, though the occasional chaotic evil dragona still exists.
Dragona do not have a large territory that they call home, though a clan might lay claim to a stretch of territory between human settlements, all the more likely if that territory includes a forested area. They live rather comfortably alongside other races in their chosen area, and roam freely in small groups to hunt and forage, while the occasional such party may become distracted by caravans or parties of other races moving through.
More dragona worship deities of nature than anything else. The vast majority of these follow Ehlonna or Obad-Hai, while the beast-god Karaan (BoVD) and the demon lords Yeenoghu and Zuggtmoy still find a cult-like following among the more detestable clans.
Amongst themselves, dragona usually speak a peculiar pidgin of Common and Draconic. They usually choose one language and stick with it when speaking with outsiders, though they nearly always incorporate slang of their own invention. Dragona typically learn the languages of those who live nearby.
Dragona favor names that sound similar to Draconic words of great import but have no particular meaning except to themselves. Their names usually have one or two syllables, often including soft consonant sounds. A male dragona's name invariably ends with one or two x's, while a female's ends in a "-th" sound. A dragona's clan name is always two syllables, starting with a hard consonant, including a sibilant one, and ending in a soft consonant.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, −2 Strength, −2 Intelligence: Dragona are tough, but sacrifice power for agility and aren't terribly bright.
- Humanoid (Dragonblood): Dragona are distantly related to dragons.
- Low-light vision.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, dragona have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Slight Build: The physical stature of dragona lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a dragona is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the dragona is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A dragona is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A dragona can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a dragona remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Dragona base land speed is 40 feet.
- The scaly growths on a dragona's skin provide it with a +2 natural armor bonus.
- A dragona's tail provides it with a +4 racial bonus on Balance checks.
- A dragona's tail ends in a vicious barb, providing a natural sting attack that deals 1d6 points of damage.
- A dragona gains a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc, Sylvan, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Ranger.
- Level Adjustment: +1
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|53 years||70 years||110 years||+d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 5"||+2d6||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d6||85 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|