| This material is published under the OGL
Also see the gnome creature listing.
Rock gnomes are the most common variety of gnomes. Rock gnomes stand 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall and weigh 40 to 45 pounds. Their skin color ranges from dark tan to woody brown, their hair is fair, and their eyes can be any shade of blue. Rock gnome males prefer short, carefully trimmed beards. Rock gnomes generally wear leather or earth tones, though they decorate their clothes with intricate stitching or fine jewelry. Rock gnomes reach adulthood at about age 40, and they live about 350 years, though some can live almost 500 years.
- +2 Constitution, –2 Strength.
- Humanoid (Gnome).
- Small: As a Small creature, a rock gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Rock gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A rock gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Weapon Familiarity: Rock gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
- Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by rock gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. In addition, a rock gnome can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below). This ability is innate to rock gnomes. See the speak with animals spell description.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A rock gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + rock gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
- Favored Class: Bard. A multiclass rock gnome’s bard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
- Level Adjustment: +0.
Table: Rock Gnome Random Starting Ages
| 40 years
Table: Rock Gnome Aging Effects
| Middle Age1
|| Maximum Age
| 100 years
|| 150 years
|| 200 years
|| +3d% years
Table: Rock Gnome Random Height and Weight
|| Base Height
|| Height Modifier
|| Base Weight
|| Weight Modifier
|| 3’ 0”
|| 40 lb.
|| × (1) lb.
|| 2’ 10”
|| 35 lb.
|| × (1) lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Open Game Content → System Reference Document → Races