Talk:Dragoon (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Is this Balanced?
I was looking through this, and it seems awfully overpowered. A Dragoon gets a flight speed, and a bonus to strength and dexterity with only a minus to wisdom. A Dragoon also gets 2 favored classes, a breath weapon, and +2 AC. I think this deserves some LA. --Green Dragon 11:19, 4 June 2006 (MDT)
- This race needs definite Fixing. Any volunteers? --Pz.Az.04Maus 13:48, 4 June 2006 (MDT)
- Not volunteering (yet), but there's a couple of other things - the breath weapon damage is wonky. There's no precedent for this sort of scaling damage. I'm all for new mechanics, but only if there's a good reason for them, and they can't be covered easily by the existing rules. Also, does a Dragoon get all of the elemental types listed for the breath weapon, or do they have to choose one on creation? Lastly, the type Humanoid (Dragonish) ... let's not make up subtypes unless we have to. The Half-Dragon template, for example, changes the creature to Type: Dragon. I'd either go with that or a broader Humanoid (Reptilian). --Oneiros 10:56, 30 June 2006 (MDT)
- True. Hope you do decide to change this around, it needs to be changed. This is not balanced. --Green Dragon 06:37, 3 July 2006 (MDT)
How Could we Balance This?
What could we change to make this balanced? --Green Dragon 22:42, 13 November 2006 (MST)
- Starting Point;... There's just no way that this race doesn't warrant a level adjustment. I'm thinking AT LEAST +2, but all things considered, it might have to go even higher. The choice here is a level adjustment, or a rewrite.
- For starters the stats. Lose the Dex. or Str. bonus. 2 combat-based bonuses are not made up for by a -2 Wis. penalty.
- Lose the breath weapon. "While much of your visible heritage is draconic, you’re digestive tracts are decidedly not.”
- Do something about the favoured class. Unless you want it as a specific replacement for the dragon disciple prestige class, then there's no point in it favouring sorcerer. The fighter could work though; "Your draconic blood burns hottest as you revel in the slaughter of battle. With a weapon in your hand it's like a bestial instinct takes over your senses and your actions."
- Maybe replace the wings with a mild natural armour bonus?
- The problem with dragon-based races for PC’s is that dragons uniquely gain ability bonuses by advancing in age categories. Whereas races in general have a permanency in their racial bonuses. It's kind of hard to balance them without having some kind of advancement in something like a breath weapon.
- Hope that helps.
- Jon. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) 21:39, 20 December 2006 (MST). Please sign your posts!
- I did the changes you recommended... Would you say it is better now? --Green Dragon 21:44, 20 December 2006 (MST)
- It's looking a bit more balanced. The LA. I suggested was based on the original specs.
- I found this entery on the homebrew "LA 0" table. Which is basically what I was basing my critique on. You need to make a desicion here; do you want a player race with no LA, or do you want a monster race?
- for the latter, I would refer you to the Monster Manual IV, spawn of Tiamat entries. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 18:23, 25 December 2006 (MST). Please sign your posts!
- Well... it really depends on which people would use more, and, since people use LA 0 races more, I would say try to get this down to LA 0. What are your thoughts on how to do this or a good LA for this as it is now? --Green Dragon 17:56, 25 December 2006 (MST)
Post Notes from Viewers
Hmmm....There's already a Half-Dragon race (for your 50% draconic/50% base variety), plus a half dragon paragon for those that want to grow INTO their draconic blood (more of a 35%/65%) AND a Dragon Disciple Class for those looking for just a WEE bit of draconic blood (20%/80%). This has been done to death. All I see here is stat shuffling. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) 08:41, 12 April 2007 (MDT). Please sign your posts!
- How do you think this could be made original? --Green Dragon 10:20, 18 April 2007 (MDT)