Taijutsu Master (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
He is graceful as the morning lark engaged in a show of aerial acrobatics that ultimately lands in a fanfare. An entity that is as ferocious as a tsunami, yet able to control this almost immeasurable power. This man is a Taijutsu Master. A Monk who has specialized in and around the physical aspect of the Martial Arts. He is able to deliver devastating and creative blows from almost any position and even while unarmed.
Monks are the most likely to take this prestige class. However, Fighters can take this class if they meet the requirements. Other classes are seldom meet the initial requirements to even take this class.
As NPC’s, Taijutsu Masters serve best as heads of monasteries regardless of alignment. Also, they work well as hermits and elite bodyguards. Depending on your campaign, they could be an independent social class.
In order to become a Taijutsu Master, must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Alignment: Any Lawful
- Skills: Knowledge (Martial Arts) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks
- Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes, Improved Disarm or Improved Trip
- Base Attack Bonus: +5
- Special: If your alignment is Good, then you must speak Celestial. If it is Evil, then you must speak Infernal.
|Level|| Base Attack
|1st||+1||+2||+2||+2||Style, Bonus Feat, Multiclass Note|
|2nd||+2||+3||+3||+3||My Body as a Weapon + 1, Evasion|
|3rd||+3||+3||+3||+3||Style, Weapon Focus|
|4th||+4||+4||+4||+4||My Body as a Weapon + 2|
|5th||+5||+4||+4||+4||Style, Improved Evasion|
|6th||+6/+1||+5||+5||+5||My Body as a Weapon + 3|
|7th||+7/+2||+5||+5||+5||Style, Insight Bonus|
|8th||+8/+3||+6||+6||+6||My Body as a Weapon + 4|
|9th||+9/+4||+6||+6||+6||Style, Augmented Critical|
|10th||+10/+5||+7||+7||+7||My Body as a Weapon + 5, Style|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level)
Multiclass note: A monk that multiclasses as a Taijutsu Master can continue to advance as a Monk normally.
Style: A Taijutsu Master knows how to fight. And, he knows how to fight well. Styles are gained as a Taijutsu Master gains levels. He gains a style at every odd numbered level and at level ten. The styles add combat options and other tricks to a Taijutsu Master’s repertoire. A list and complete description follows.
- Aikido: a Style that teaches defense over offense. Martial artists who practice Aikido can increase their AC by 5 once per day. This effect is extraordinary and lasts ten minutes. Minimum Character Level to take- 3
- Capoeira: a Style that emphasizes agility and acrobatics over brute strength, this is usually demonstrated by dancing. Its practitioners are graceful and limber. This Style allows a character to fight without penalty while wearing manacles on either the ankles or the wrists. It does not eliminate a penalty for both. This is an extraordinary ability. Minimum Character Level to take- 5
- Ikken Hitobi: a style that teaches the student to do the most damage with one hit. Its practitioners are skilful and determined. This Style allows a character to sacrifice an attack to make a more powerful type of strike. This strike is called Haku-ikken (Armor-piercer). If this strike hits, the creature that received the strike dies unless they make DC 15 Fortitude save. If they make the save, they are shaken for one round. They take no actual damage regardless. If the creature is immune to critical hits, then this ability doesn’t work on them. This ability can be used one per week, and is extraordinary. Minimum Character Level to take- 10
- Iron Palm: a Style that focuses on the strength of attacks. Its followers have strengthened their strike to an almost inhuman level. A player who takes this Style can attack weapons and armor without provoking an attack of opportunity. Also, if the player has the Improved Sunder feat, the player receives an additional + 4 to the attack roll when attacking a weapon or piece of armor. This bonus stacks with any other bonus. This ability is extraordinary. Minimum Character Level to take- 5
- Jeet Kune Do: a Style that teaches its practitioners to attack the first target available on an opponent. If a player takes this style, he gains the ability to counter-attack. Once per round, when he is attacked the player rolls a reflex save and if the save is higher than the attackers total, then the player can make a counter attack. The attack is done with the highest Base Attack Bonus. If the attack hits, the foe is dazed for one round. This is an extraordinary ability. Minimum Character Level to take- 9
- Muay Thai a Style that teaches its student how to make a hit count. If a player takes this Style, he can make an intimidate check as a swift action immediately after an attack in which he dealt damage. The save DC = 10 + damage dealt. If the opponent fails the save, he is afraid, and tries to flee. This is an extraordinary, mind-affecting ability, and can be used once per day. Minimum Character Level to take- 7
- Pi Qua a Style that focuses on grappling and breaking bones. A player that takes this Style gains a + 3 to grapple checks, and for every round he maintains a hold on someone they take 3d6 + the grappler’s strength bonus. This is a special ability. Minimum Character Level to take- 5
Bonus Feat: Any non-metamagic or metapsionic feat
My Body as a Weapon: You become so in tune with your body that you can decide what kind of attack your unarmed strike will deliver. You can make your unarmed strikes slashing or piercing or you can keep them blunt. You can change the type of damage once per day.
- In addition, you unarmed attacked gain bonuses. These bonuses stack with the Monk Ki abilities. At the 2nd level, your attacks are treated with a + 1 bonus. You continue to gain bonuses until you reach +5 at level 10.
Evasion: At 2nd level, you gain the Evasion special ability
Weapon Focus: At 3rd level you, gain the feat Weapon Focus even if you do not meet the requirements
Improved Evasion: At 5th level, you gain Improved Evasion special ability
Insight Bonus: At 7th level, you gain the ability to add your Wisdom modifier (if positive) to your AC or to your attack roll. You can change the choice once per day
Augmented Critical: At 9th level, your unarmed critical attack improves. It becomes 19-20/x3. You can further augment it with the Improved Critical feat