From D&D Wiki
When it says "caused the death of other folowweres/cohorts", does that include death in battle, since hes fighting on my side, there should be some deaths in battle? Zau 15:09, 1 September 2009 (MDT)
- DM's discretion. If you are using your cohorts as blatant canon-fodder, then you caused their deaths. If you make good decisions and they die in battle, then no. Think of this as a "no abuse" rule.--Dmilewski 20:41, 1 September 2009 (MDT)
 A lie for a companion
Referring to the first three tables of modifiers. Assuming no-one else knows, or gives the lie away, is it possible to Bluff and give them the illusion that, perhaps, you do have a guild base, or fail to mention to them that your other cohort or two may have died needlessly, thus gaining modifiers for something you do not have, or lack penalties for something already done? From my perspective, it seems perfectly plausible, or is this a DM thing? --SgtLion 07:30, 19 October 2009 (MDT)
- Great renown and special power? Pay bards to tell people. People can't know if you're cruel or have caused the deaths of followers if there are no survivors! I think all of these modifiers are meant to be messed around with by the players in such a way. A person going out of their way to be recognized or hide bodies is going to succeed more than a person taking things as they leave them. -Dr. Seymour (talk) 19:43, 27 June 2013 (MDT)
- Do you have an official reference to support your claim? —Sledged (talk) 08:47, 7 March 2011 (MST)
- Quoted from Page 106 of the Dungeon Master's Guide "The character can attract a cohort of up to this level. Regardless of a character's Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself." OP is mistaken.
- OP is mistaken, the cohort is able to level only to 2 levels below a 'Leader'. This is because if the Leader dies and is rez'd, he'll have one less level but still be one level above his/her cohort. The cohort will then not gain xp again until the Leader is once again 2 levels above his/her cohort. This information is in the DMG in the NPCs section. I am currently away from home so I can't provide page number.