Keeper of the Eternal Flame (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
|This material is published under the OGL|
Keeper of the Eternal Flame
Born out of conflict, the Order of the Eternal Flame was founded in order to symbolize the need for eternal friendship and cooperation. The ever-burning Eternal Flame itself today lies in the order's main temple. The flame has been carried to all corners of the world, and small shrines exist across the continents, each with it own keeper, who is dedicated to the fighting against evil, to healing and succor for the weak, and to the pursuit of justice tempered with mercy.
When someone decides to become a keeper, she must pray for guidance. If deemed worthy, she is given a vision that shows the location of a shrine of the Eternal Flame. She must then journey to the site, known as the Pilgrimage of Light, aiding all those in need whom she encounters. Upon reaching the shrine, she then maintains an all-night vigil, and with the first rays of dawn, places her hand into the flame. If the gods determine that she has done well on her quest, the flame doe not burn, heals all damage that the seeker has taken and cures all diseases. The seeker in then allowed to join the ranks of the Keepers of the Eternal Flame. If not, she suffers minor burns, and must once more pray for guidance, and be sent to a different shrine.
To qualify to become a Keeper of the Eternal Flame, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
- Ability: Must be able to turn undead. Must be proficient with the longsword and the longspear.
- Alignment: Any good.
- Deity: Any good.
- Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Heal 5 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks.
- Spellcasting: Must be able to cast divine version of resist energy.
- Special: Must make the Pilgrimage of Light (see below).
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||Blessings of the Eternal Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+3||Healing Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|3rd||+2||+3||+1||+3||Blessings of the Eternal Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|4th||+3||+4||+1||+4||Inner Fire||+1 spellcasting level|
|5th||+3||+4||+1||+4||Blessings of the Eternal Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|6th||+4||+5||+2||+5||Sovereignty of the Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|7th||+5||+5||+2||+5||Blessings of the Eternal Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|8th||+6||+6||+2||+6||Inner Fire||+1 spellcasting level|
|9th||+6||+6||+3||+6||Blessings of the Eternal Flame||+1 spellcasting level|
|10th||+7||+7||+3||+7||Pilgrimage of Fire||+1 spellcasting level|
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level)
All of the following are class features of the Keeper of the Eternal Flame prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Keeper of the Eternal Flame gains no additional proficiencies in weapons or armor.
Spell Advancement: Each time the character gains a level in Keeper of the Eternal Flame, she gains additional spell slots and casting ability as if going up a level in her original class.
Turn Undead (Su): The keeper can turn undead as if she were a cleric of equivalent level. This is in addition to any turn undead ability that the character had in her existing class. A 5th level cleric/3rd level Keeper, for example turns undead as an 8th level cleric, while a 7th level paladin/4th level Keeper turns undead at 9th level.
Blessings of the Eternal Flame: The power of the Eternal Flame grants several abilities to all keepers. Once per day, a keeper may touch any Eternal Flame and be healed of an amount of damage equal to d8 x his Wisdom modifier.
In addition, at each odd level beginning at 1st, the Keeper may choose one of the following abilities (see: Table: Blessings of the Eternal Flame). Her Keeper level + Wisdom bonus determines the secrets she can choose—she may not choose a secret whose number is greater than the sum of her class and level and Wisdom bonus. No blessing can be taken more than once. Note that only the character's base Wisdom bonus is used for determining blessings; bonuses gained from magic items and the like to not count towards this ability.
| Level +
|1||Blessing of Light|
|2||Eyes of the Flame|
|3||Blessing of Flame, Blessing of Sun|
|4||Flow of Fire, Limning Flame|
|6||Burning Wrath, Greater Limnal|
|8||Flames of Purity|
|9||Arcane Fire, Wrath of the Sun|
|10||Fire of the Will|
|11||Spirit of Flame|
Healing Flame (Ex): If fire is at hand, the Keeper is able to effectively Take 20 on Heal rolls. Doing so takes ten minus his Heal ranks in rounds, however.
Inner Fire (Ex): At 4th and 8th level, the Keeper's inner strength is emboldened by the Eternal Fire, granting him a +3 additional hit points (as though he had gained the Toughness feat).
Pilgrimage of Fire (Su): At 10th level, the Keeper can create a new Shrines of the Eternal Flame. To do so, the Keeper places his hand within an Eternal Fire and absorbs some of its essence. While the Keeper maintains the Eternal Fire within him, one of his highest level spell slots is considered in use. The Eternal Fire can then be used to create another shrine. This shrine must be an altar that has the consecrate spell cast upon it. The Keeper then touches the altar and expends 500 XP. A portion of the Eternal Flame then begins to burn on the altar. The altar can then function as a shrine of the Eternal Flame in regard to pilgrimages, and is treated as if it had she spell hallow cast upon it. If an unhallow spell is successfully cast on the altar, it extinguishes the Eternal Fire but not not banish the hallow effect. The unhallow is destroyed in the process of extinguishing the Eternal Fire. A second unhallow spell must be cast in order to destroy the hallow effects.
Blessings of the Eternal Flame
- Blessings of Light (Sp): The Keeper is capable of casting continual flame as a spell-like ability once per day.
- Eyes of the Flame (Sp): The Keeper is capable of using detect evil at will as a spell-like ability.
- Blessings of the Flame: The keeper gains access to the Fire domain. The character gains the special ability of the domain as normal, as well as the ability to prepare spells from it as domain spells. Keepers who cast spells as paladins gain the ability to prepare a single spell of each level from this domain list. This spell is still counted towards their daily total for a spell caster of their level.
- Blessing of Sun: As Blessing of the Flame, but applies to the Sun domain.
- Flow of Fire (Su): The Keeper learns to cause fire to flow around her, allowing her to better avoid harm from it. The Keeper is assumed to have the Improved Evasion ability in regard to spells with the Fire descriptor.
- Limning Flame (Su): The Keeper learns to channel the Eternal Flame into a weapon, granting it a +1 sacred bonus to hit. This can only be performed on a longsword or longspear. Using this ability requires a swift action and the use of a single Turn Undead use and lasts for one round per Keeper class level. This bonus stacks with any existing magic bonuses.
- Greater Resistance (Su): When the Keeper casts resist energy for fire, the duration of the spell is 24 hours.
- Burning Wrath (Su): By expending a swift action and a Turn Undead use, the Keeper is able to sheathe either a longsword or longspear in flame, granting it +1d6 fire damage. This lasts for one round per Keeper class level.
- Greater Limnal (Su): As Limning Flame, but granting a +3 sacred bonus.
- Holy Flame (Su): Any spells cast by the Keeper with the Fire descriptor are empowered with divine energy. Half of the damage inflicted by such spells is assumed to be divine power, allowing the caster to affect creatures resistant or immune to fire. Thus, a flame strike that inflicts 24 points of damage still inflicts 12 points on a fire elemental or red dragon. The caster must still overcome any [[Spell Resistance|spell resistance] that the target has.
- Flames of Purity (Su): Once per day, the Keeper can cast any spell—even arcane ones, if she has that ability to do so—with the Fire descriptor and imbue it with the healing properties of the Eternal Flame. Rather than inflicting damage, such spells heal a number of hit points equal to half the amount of damage they would normally inflict. The area of effect of these spells does not change, allowing the caster to affect multiple targets. Doing so expends one Turn Undead attempt.
- Arcane Fire (Su): The Keeper may choose a single arcane spell with the Fire descriptor. He is then able to prepare that spell as a divine spell of the same level. The caster must choose a spell of a level that he is able to cast.
- Wrath of the Sun (Su): As Burning Wrath, but this ability also grants the weapon the keen and flaming burst enhancements. This requires the expenditure of two Turn Undeads.
- Fire of the Will (Su): The Keeper is able to spontaneously cast spells from either the Fire or Sun domains. The domain must be selected upon choosing this blessing and can not be changed once the choices has been made. This ability may be taken by paladins; additionally, it may be taken more than once in order to choose the other domain. Note that this power must be chosen for a domain the caster actually possesses, requiring paladins to first choose the Blessing of the Fire/Sun power.
- Spirit of Flame (Su): The Keeper's type changes to 'Elemental [Fire]'. He becomes immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and attacks that require that the target be living, such as critical hits and sneak attacks. He gains 60 ft. darkvision and immunity to fire damage. Only a wish or miracle can raise him from the dead if he is slain, however and he takes double damage from cold attacks.
Scarred Land Campaign Setting: Ghelspad Copyright 2002, White Wolf Publishing, Inc.
Permission to use this content granted via "Designation of Open Game Content", page 1, Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad. Alterations were made to this entry to avoid items designated as product identity or to bring the entry in line with the 3.5 rules set.