Allurin (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Synopsis: Humans with a Succubus heritage, and several racial abilties tied to it. They can become more powerful and demon-like with racial feats.
|A picture of the race from WotC Gallery|
Perfect cheekbones, perfect hair, tall, slim, beautiful... this is the average-looking Allurin. Humanoids of mostly human descent, a special blood runs in their veins. The blood of succubi and incubi.
Of how they came to be, two legends exist. One romantic, one frightening. The romantic tale tells of Tylia, a succubus who fell in love with a human. She defied the lords of hell, but was stripped of her demonic powers and gave birth to his children. The other tale tells of incubi that visit maidens at night and leave demonic seed in their womb, to poison humanity with their evil heritage. Both legends may be true, or neither...
Allurins blend into human society in a way only Changelings can match, but they still stick out. Their striking and exotic looks make them the center of attention. Many of them enjoy it and become famed muses and performers. Others, aware of their dark heritage, try to hide their faces and even scar themselves, hoping to be left alone.
While they appear human at first glance, all Allurin share an attractive physique, with almost exaggerated features. Women have curvacious bust and hips, and men have athletic bodies and impressive equipment. While some try to hide it, most Allurin stress this even more by wearing tight-fit and revealing clothing. Many have unusual features like deeply violet eyes or an almost pink natural hair color, or naturally red nails.
Allurins that hide their true identity share the same racial relations as humans. Yet, they tend to be shunned by the elves, who see themselves as the epitome of beauty and perfection. Orc see Allurin women as prized slaves. The sturdy, down-to-earth dwarves shun them for their touch of the supernatural. If Allurin are found out to be what they are, they are often driven away, or worse. Only in the company of other outcasts, such as other half-races and planetouched, can they find kindred souls.
Allurin can have any alignment, but their taint of evil (see below) makes it difficult for them to actually convince people of their good intentions. This being the case, few are truly neutral, and most tend towards any one of the extremes.
Allurin have no home region as such, and can be found in any human region. They are more likely to be encountered in lands that have a tradition of demon summoning or being haunted by demons. Their numbers are few, so any community with a majority of Allurin would be a small hamlet of outcasts rather than a city. Most Allurin prefer to blend in in a big city, earning their coin in the shady parts, or joining bands of traveling performers.
Religion is a difficult topic for Allurin, as clerics have the best tools of telling a person's true nature. Paladins, who will always detect evil in any Allurin, have a history of hunting and persecuting them for their heritage, not for who they are as individuals. A select few Allurin themselves have taken up the torch of light and fight evil to redeem themselves, and even battle their own kin.
Evil cults also seek out the Allurin, either as followers or as powerful blood sacrifices. Some Allurin embrace their dark side fully and serve the lords of the Abyss, working as spies and recruiters on the material plane.
Most Allurin feel uncomfortable around any kind of organized religion. They prefer to keep their spiritual beliefs to themselves and avoid organized religion as far as possible.
Most allurin speak whatever language is spoken in their home region. They tend to have a natural grasp of abyssal.
Any that is usual in their home region. Allurin that work as performers usually have stage names. Allurin who have given up disguising themselves as humans prefer names with a dark and demonic ring to them.
As their heritage will never allow them to have a quiet, undisturbed life, almost every Allurin is an adventurer, even though not all enjoy this or are successful at it. From their human half, Allurin inherited the versatility, and they take a variety of careers. Bard, sorcerer, hexblade, rogue and beguiler are the most common. While there are a select few very determined Allurin paladins, their taint of evil makes them outcasts within their faith.
There are two versions of the race, to give game masters a choice for their campaign. The main difference is, that the weaker LA +0 version has the Humanoid (planetouched) type, while the LA +1 version is an outsider, has a higher Charisma bonus and some goodies.
LA +0 version
- Strength -2, Charisma +2: Allurin have naturally attractive physiques and a vibrant personality, but are not exceptionally strong.
- Oustider (Native): As per outsider type, Allurin are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. As native outsiders, they can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be, and they need to eat and sleep.
- Medium size
- Allurin base land speed is 30 ft.
- +2 to saves against enchantment/charm effects
- electricity resistance 5
- Darkvision 60 ft. (Ex): Their Demonic ancestry lends them better eyes than common humans.
- Succubus Heritage: You gain either the Succubus Heritor or Fiendish Heritage (Planar Handbook) as a racial bonus feat.
- Delicious Kiss (Su): An Allurin may use this ability when kissing a victim, or during any other act of passion. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the Allurin must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The victim is dazed for 1 round, and the Allurin is treated as though she has just consumed a good meal. The victim feels as though the experience was highly pleasurable, but is not under any supernatural compulsion to allow another kiss. This counts as an Abyssal Heritor feat.
- Susceptibility to cold iron (Su): If an Allurin takes damage from a cold iron weapon, he takes one point of strength damage for each 5 full points of damage from the attack. He may take up to three points of ability damage with one hit. There is no saving throw. They also take this damage from creatures who are able to overcome DR / cold iron. Allurin suffer a -2 penalty to their attack rolls with weapons made of cold iron.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, and any spoken in the region of origin.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer.
- Level Adjustment: +0
LA +1 version
As above, except:
- Charisma +4
- Compelling Kiss (Su): Whenever an Allurin kisses another that target must succeed a will save DC of 10 + half your character level + Cha modifier or else they will be compelled to accept another kiss. This counts as an Abyssal Heritor feat.
- Vestigial Wings (Ex): Your wings aren't formed enough to allow true flight, but they do enhance your ability to jump. You gain a bonus on Jump checks equal to +3 per Abyssal heritor feat you possess. Your wings can also slow your fall. As long as you can take move actions, you can control a fall so that you land without taking damage. You cannot, however, alter the direction you fall. Because your wings create additional drag while you swim, you take a -2 penalty on Swim checks. This counts as an Abyssal Heritor Feat.
- Damage reduction 2 / cold iron or good.
- Spell-Like Ability: 3/day—Charm Person. Caster level is equal to character level. The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Level Adjustment: +1
The Taint of Evil
Both legends give an explanation for the Taint of Evil (in game terms: the evil subtype), although a conflicting one... The Succubus legend tells of an Abyss lord cursing the traitoress to prove that she and her spawn will forever belong to him. The Incubus legend says that the Taint of Evil is a mark by the gods, a call for all powers of good to find these creatures and exterminate them to prevent the dark blood from contaminating humanity. The Taint of Evil is indeed hard to get rid of, and there is no known case where it was successful. In one case it stuck to the Allurin even after a wish spell to change his race...
Their infernal heritage makes Allurin age slightly slower than humans.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|80 years||110 years||140 years||+4d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d8||70 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
- Yes, Allurin is both the singular and plural form of the race's name.
- Original thread on the WotC forum