Accipiter/Corivair (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Accipiter are a proud and honourable folk with a love of heights and flying. Their pride drives them to prove themselves greater, their honour to treat all with fair hands. Their love of flying and heights has often caused a significant minority of them to abandon normalcy and take up a life of adventure, ever searching for greater heights. They normally dwell on tall mountains in extensive cities which often lack much in the way of stairs to accentuate the use of flight to traverse ground. The Accipiter are a rather conservative people with a patriarchal and matrilineal society.
 Physical Description
The Accipiter are a tall folk with great white wings sprouting from their backs. They have fair skin and golden hair, which they normally wear long. Their eyes are normally deep blue, though some are known to possess green or violet eyes, and one in every thousand has golden eyes. The Accipiter are physically very similar to popular depictions of angels, and so they have a tendency to possess a rather intimidating presence. The females of the race tend to be slightly taller, though slimmer, than their male counterparts.
The Accipiter accept and are well-accepted by most human races, though they cannot stand any group which partakes in slavery. They also hold good relations with Elves, from whom they obtained the name 'Corivair', meaning 'Folk of the Wing' in the Old Tongue. Due to theri close proximity to mountain-dwelling Dwarves, the Acciptier are known to be good friends of the Dwarves. Accipiter are rarely comfortable around orcs or goblins of any form, and it takes much willpower to abstain from remaining polite towards such creatures. However, the Accipiter will accept such creatures should they bear the mantle of the Paladin. The Accipiter see the title of Paladin as superior to all others in honour and glory, and if one should be a Paladin than they shall be seen as a Paladin over their race or nationality in the eyes of the Accipiter.
The Accipiter are almost exclusively Lawful Good, as many take up the path of the Paladin. However, there is a significant minority of Chaotic Good Accipiter in the world, with such Accipiter often being found in adventuring companies or otherwise simply wandering the world in search of adventure.
The main Accipiter territory is Mount Accipiter, located in the north of the world. However, one can find Accipiter colonies on numerous mountains throughout the world.
Most Accipiter worship Aevir, the Lawful Good god of the Sky and patron of the Accipiter. Many also worship Corellon Larethian due to their association with Elfkind. A few other good-aligned deities are also worshiped among the Accipiter, and they hold no prejudice against these. However, any Accipiter who serves a non-good deity is an outcast among his kin and rarely dwells in the beautiful cities of his brethren.
All Accipiter speak their own language, Corivair, and Common. Due to their association with Elves they are also able to learn Elven and Sylvan. Some learn the tongue of the Dwarves with whom they share their mountain homes. Those who take up a life of wandering sometimes learn the languages of their foes, specifically the Orcs, Goblins, and Giants. They often speak with an accent reminiscent of Victorian Aristocrats, and use a similar speech pattern no matter which language they are speaking.
Upon birth an Accipiter is given his first name and take the surname of their mother. An Accipiter has the opportunity to take a second name upon achieving adulthood, though few normally take advantage of this.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom
- The Accipiter are strong and charismatic warriors, but they lack a powerful sense of constraint, especially in battle, and their great size prevents them from being agile.
- Type: Humanoid (Human)
- Accipiter are normal Humanoids who happen to possess wings.
- Size: Medium
- An Accipiter receives no bonus or penalty for being Medium.
- Accipiter base land speed is 30 feet: Fly Speed 40 feet.
- Please note that when wearing armour which restricts speed, an Accipiter's Land Speed is reduced to 20ft and their Fly Speed is unaffected by Medium Armour. However, Heavy Armour reduces the Fly Speed to 30ft.
- Weapon Training(Ex)
- An Accipiter receives free Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the Bastard Sword, Lance, Greatsword, and Greataxe.
- Flying Combat(Ex)
- When in flight an Accipiter can use any Two-Handed Weapon with which he has proficiency as a one-handed weapon. However, this does not allow the Accipiter to dual-wield weapons; their off-hand can either hold nothing or hold a shield when an Accipiter is using this ability.
- Automatic Languages: Corivair, Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Giant, Sylvan, Orc.
- Favored Class: Paladin.
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||132 years||197 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 2"||+4d6||200 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||6' 5"||+4d6||180 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|