Veinoda (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Veinoda are a peculiar race of elves discovered by chance when a pair of Drow slavers made an expedition into the deep cave systems of the Mountains of Darkness, presumably to set up base. But after returning to the nearest city and describing to the locals a "swarm of pitch-black demonic vampires" in the residing caves a group of adventurers took the charge of settling the rumors for good. Less than a day later the party returned to the tavern, flanked by a multitude of tall, scaly creatures with intimidating wings apologizing repeatedly for inadvertently causing their neighbors a panic and half the party to faint in terror.
The Veinoda are generally reserved around strangers, but are more social when around people they know, and even more so if they are around friends. They are very friendly to members of their race and are anti-territorial. Their race is one that shares things well amongst themselves (including homes). Veinoda are universally moral and believe in standing up for their ideals, but are often not very vocal about it until they are confronted directly. The Veinoda are pretty agreeable and enjoy conversation, though they prefer to listen a bit more than speak themselves. Only a handful of Veinoda could ever be described as cold and cynical, as most are humble and curious of the world around them. Of all the traits Veinoda dislike, it is greed.
The Veinoda have an elven like body, complete with the slight build and shape of face. Their body is covered in scales and they have no hair. They have wings on their back. The Veinoda generally have very dark skin, and their wings are black with a blood red sheen, although their wings can sometimes be dark red. Both male and female Veinoda are basically the same size, and range anywhere from 5'6" to 6'6" feet tall. Generally they weigh around 100 to 125 lbs.
Veinoda can get along with any goodly race, and members of races that are not actively committing heinous acts. Veinoda can become cross with anyone doing criminal activity in front of them, even those who the Veinoda would consider a friend. Veinoda are sometimes nai've and can befriend those who only wish to manipulate them.
Generally the Veinoda are Lawful/Chaotic Good but can be Lawful/Chaotic Neutral.
The Veinoda are from a group of mountains known as the Mountains of Darkness. These mountains are little known by the general population and are devoid of sunlight.
Most Veinoda do not adhere to any particular God or doctrine, though they do try to be respectful of other Deities, within reason. Excavations into the deeper areas of the Mountains suggest that the anicent Veinoda once hailed a venerated Herald of great power, but most of their history pertaining to that era has been lost to time. Veinoda are generally open and tolerant of others' religions, with the exception of ones revolving around Dark Gods and evil Deities (Vecna, for instance).
Elven, Common, Haliaeetus, and many other languages.
- +4 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Veinoda can learn as fast as they can move, but most of them lack worldly experience.
- Monstrous humanoid (Reptilian): Veinoda are extroardinarily unique for having natural scales while also boasting a slender, elvish physique.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Veinoda gain no size related bonuses or penalties.
- Veinoda's base land speed is 30 feet. Flight speed is 60 feet of Average maneuverability.
- Armor Proficieny: Veinoda can wear light and medium armor. Their wings are easily tucked behind them and so they do not need custom armor.
- Racial Bonuses: +4 Balance, +2 Escape Artist, +4 Hide, +2 Listen, +4 Move Silently. Disable Device and Search are always considered class skills.
- Racial Hit Dice: Veinoda begin with 3 levels of Monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A Veinoda’s Monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier), with quadruple points for the first.
- Racial Feats: A Veinoda's Monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat. Veinoda freely start with the Hover feat.
- Children of the Eternal Night (Su): Veinoda can cover the dazing light around them with an unnatural mist up to 60 feet. The Veinoda gains the effects of Darkness exclusively, and their Flight maneuverability is changed from Average to Good. Enemies inside the mist are Shaken, and the damage output of the Veinoda is doubled. This effect lasts for three turns and cannot be used for the next 12d4 hours.
- Visions of Terror (Su): Whenever a Veinoda performs a Touch attack or an attack while unnoticed or concealed, the opponent can role a Will save every turn (DC 15 + Int modifier) or suffer a series of delusions, causing the target to potentially lash out (50% chance) and attack an empty area or a figure near them. The Veinoda may optionally choose to disable this ability or dispel its effects at any point.
- Immunity to sleep effects.
- Abyssal Attunement: The Veinoda can add her Intelligence modifier to attacks in addition to her Strength modifier.
- Hemeralopia: Veinoda cannot see during the daytime and can be temporarily blinded by particularly powerful lights.
- Automatic Weapon Proficiency: Any bladed weapons, excluding Exotic weapons.
- Automatic Languages: Elven, Common, Haliaeetus
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Sylvian
- Favored Class: Rogue, Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|10000 years||15000 years||20000 years||+8d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+2d6||100 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 6"||+2d6||100 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|