From D&D Wiki
- 1 Gheil
- 1.1 Description
- 1.2 Backstory
- 1.3 Build
- 1.4 Spells Prepared
- 1.5 Equipment
- 1.6 Place of Residence
Gheil is rather small and quirky, as far as Lizardfolk go. He must be rather old, but it's quite hard to tell for certain. Perhaps magic has helped him keep his youthful appearance, for his scales are a beautiful glossy green and his claws and teeth are bright and sharp.
A long time ago, Gheil was a powerful Lizardfolk mage. He was a leader of his kin, who lived in fetid swamps and he was ashamed of their less intelligent and sophisticated nature. Working with a visionary and forward-thinking human, he founded a large city that was to be a site of unity between Lizardfolk and Humankind, a site to make his lizardfolk brethren civilized. Gheil was always suspicious of the humans, however, and the uneasy peace between the humans and the lizardfolk didn't hold out. The city was soon segregated into a human side and a lizardfolk side, and some of the racist humans began inciting violence against lizardfolk, posing as lizardfolk to incite violence against lizardfolk, etc.
Gheil, slowly becoming embittered, imprisoned his fellow founder in a hidden dungeon and disappeared himself, making it look like a hunting accident that they both died in. Without their strong leaders the city quickly descended into further violence and chaos. Gheil planned to let the racial pot stir and boil before returning to magically enslave the humans. However, during his visits to the prison some piece of his fellow founder's compassionate nature must have rubbed off on Gheil. He eventually freed his fellow founder and, their relationship repaired, restored order to their city.
That time is long passed. The city still exists, and Gheil still rules there in name (though he rarely actually appears there anymore), but his fellow founder died of old age long ago. Without his friend around, Gheil quickly reverted to his old, embittered, and racist ways. He keeps the city mostly in order with both humans and lizardfolk because it has become an important trading nexus, a fact that greatly benefits him, but Gheil is no longer kind or compassionate to humans. He keeps a number of human slaves around (though the fact is not visible or even known in his city), despite not being willing to enslave other sentient creatures, and will always think the worst of humans.
HP: 16d4 + 4d6 +240 (328)
Stat Totals: Str 11, Dex 35, Con 35, Int 44, Wis 18, Cha 18
AC: 33 (+8 armor + 12 dex + 1 monk + 4 wis)
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +22, Will +26
Languages: Common, a bunch of other stuff
Resistances, Immunites, Etc.
- Immune to ability damage and drain.
- Immune to death effects.
- Immune to disease.
- Immune to energy drain.
- Immune to exhaustion.
- Immune to fatigue.
- Immune to poison.
- Immune to soul-trapping effects.
Active Spells and Effects
- Anticipate Teleport
- Bear's Endurance, Greater [Persisted via Incantatrix]
- Cat's Grace, Greater [Persisted via Incantatrix]
- Mind Blank
- Personal Warding (Violet, Indigo) [Persisted via Incantatrix]
- True Seeing [Persisted via Incantatrix]
- Background: Improved Initiative
- Flaw: Cross-Class Learning [Sense Motive, Survival]
- lev1: Spell Focus (Abjuration)
- lev3: Combat Casting
- lev5: Iron Will
- lev7: Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
- lev9: Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration)
- lev11: Skill Focus (Knowledge (Religion))
- lev13: Counterspell Tactics
- lev15: Master of Shaping
- lev17: Absorb Spell (Ultimate Feats)
- lev19: Item Creation Feat Pack
- Wizard 1: Scribe Scroll
- Wizard 5: Extend Spell
- Incantatrix 1: Persistent Spell
- Incantatrix 4: Quicken Spell
- Feat Buyoff 3: Componentless Casting
- Feat Buyoff 6: Track
- Feat Buyoff 9: Natural Empath
- Short of Breath (Drmg #333)
- Concentration 23 (+38) (all Concentration DCs are halved)
- Decipher Script 23 (+40)
- Feat Buyoff 11.5
- Knowledge (Arcana) 23 (+42)
- Knowledge (Geography) 23 (+42)
- Knowledge (History) 23 (+42)
- Knowledge (Mathematics, Physics, and other Sciences, including Engineering) 23 (+42)
- Knowledge (Nature) 23 (+42)
- Knowledge (Religion) 23 (+42)
- Knowledge (The Planes) 23 (+42)
- Search 11.5 (+28.5) (+2 for secret compartments and doors)
- Sense Motive 23 (+30)
- Spellcraft 23 (+60)
- Survival 23 (+27) (+2 for following tracks) (plus a bunch more for knowledge synergies)
- Speak Language (Everything) -- dropping the rest of my copious skill points into speak language, so I speak everything under the sun.
- Sphere Access: Magic (expert)
- Fly 60' (perfect)
- Swim 30'
- Breathe in Water
- Mana pool equal to Int bonus + ½ caster level from classes (10)
- Generalist Trade: Give up familiar, get one of the PHB2 specialist wizard abilities. In this case, it's Abrupt Jaunt.
- Focused Study (give up Evocation access)
- Cooperative Metamagic (Spellcraft DC: 18 + [3 x modified spell level])
- Metamagic Effect (Spellcraft DC: 18 + [3 x modified spell level])
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil
- Warding 4/day
- Unimpeachable Abjuration (add 7 to the DC to dispel any abjuration spell or effect created by Gheil)
- Unanswerable Strike (+4 bonus to counter and dispel Abjuration effects)
- Reactive Warding (create a Warding as an immediate action)
- Double Warding
- Kaleidoscopic Doom 1/day
- Extended Lifespan x4 (essentially, my mental ability bonuses accrued to max and I have no physical ability penalties. Currently young adult age.)
- Timeless Body
- Immortal Fortitude: immune to disease, poison, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, and exhaustion; also does not need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe.
- Deathless: No longer lose a level when being resurrected. Immune to death effects and soul trapping effects. Immune to energy drain. Can never be made into an undead creature.
- Anticipate Teleport (SC)
- Masterwork tool for Spellcraft (50)
- Spellbook with all the spells in the PHB and supplements (100k)
- Totally insane library (counts as masterwork tools for making knowledge checks -- so +2 on knowledge checks, as long as I consult it)
- Brooch of Intelligence +6 (36k)
- Monk's Belt (13k)
- Ring of Arcane Might (MIC) (20k)
- Ring of Spellcraft (+10 competence bonus to Spellcraft) (15k)
- Tooth of Arcane Might (30k) (Gheil has replaced some of his teeth. Himself. He is that hardcore.)
- Vest of the Archmagi (MIC) (200k)
- Tome of Con +4 (1105k)
- Tome of Dex +4 (110k)
- Tome of Int +5 (137.5k)
Focuses and Material Components
- Plane Shift -- for a bunch of planes
- Scrying (1k)
- Shapechange (1.5k)
Place of Residence
Greil resides on his own demiplane. The plane itself is a dense, swampy jungle, similar to the Lizardfolk terrain he grew up on. In the center the jungle is cleared away for a towering fortress. It looks kind of like the Morrowind mod Ravenloft (because I'm so unartistic). He also holds a fortress in the mountains in front of the icy oceans north of the great city. It looks like Solstheim Castle (again, because I'm so unartistic).