Twinborn, Depowered Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A race of humanoids with two heads, one mind, and an abundance of religious faith and philosophy.
The Twinborn (always capitalized) are a deeply religious people, and much of their time is spent in quiet contemplation and meditation. This colors their philosophy, making them slower to accept new philosophical concepts and conceits, and they come off as very "preachy" to less religious races. In spite of their two heads, each Twinborn has a single mind and personality. Typically, those born in a city or town dominated by another race uses one head to do most speaking, this head usually being on the same side as the predominant hand. Those born among other Twinborn, however, have a tendency to switch back and forth between heads while speaking, or even to speak through both at the same time. Ambidextrous Twinborn are accordingly rare in human, dwarven, or elven lands, but they are the norm among their own people.
Twinborn, as implied by their name, have two heads, placed side-by-side on a set of shoulders slightly wider than is typical of humanoids of their size. They are of similar height and weight as humans, with only a few pounds extra due to the added head. Their skin tends toward pale shades of blue, purple, and grey, while their hair tends to darker shades of blue, black, or on rare occasions, bright blonde. Their eyes are typically deep purple, blue, or crimson. The nails of their fingers and toes look like metal, typically a precious metal such as silver or gold, though they're actually no harder than those of any other humanoid. Their ears are typically 3-4 inches long, and pointed, rather like stretched elf ears.
The Twinborn share an odd trait with humans, in that they are close friends with both dwarves and elves alike. Their deeply religious ways endeared them somewhat to these two disparate folk, even if they disagree on matters of dogma. Humans, as well, accept them gracefully, though they tend to get along better in temples and chapels than in the city streets at large. The other races of the world tend to find them too odd to stay with comfortably, especially those who don't take particularly strongly to any deity or pantheon. Halflings are particularly strange to the Twinborn. To them, almost all other humanoids can be called "halflings", being as they have only half as many heads; a race that specifically singles itself out by that name confuses them.
By far, the vast majority of Twinborn are Lawful Good, with Neutral Good being the next most common, and Lawful Neutral the third. Other alignments are possible, but less typical of the race as a whole, and a Chaotic Evil member is exceedingly rare.
While a few thousand of their number have integrated with the cultures of the humans, dwarves, and elves, the majority remain secluded, almost to the point of being xenophobic. They take to small valleys deep in the mountains, hard to reach except through dwarven tunnels, and to dense forests, similar to (and often close to) the favored homes of the many races of elves. It is here that they can study and debate in peace, and through this learning, become closer to their deities.
Naturally, the Twinborn gravitate strongest to Lawful Good deities, but the worshiop of Neutral Good deities is still strong as well. Indeed, the worship of other deities is unheard of in purely-Twinborn cities and towns, and so those of atypical alignments find themselves drawn away from their homeland and into the lands of humans and others.
All Twinborn learn to speak Celestial from a very young age, and are taught the Common tongue shortly after. In addition, any local regional languages are quickly picked up and taught to Twinborn children in order to better understand and contemplate the local races and cultures.
In keeping with their religious ways, exceptional longevity, and divine affinity, Twinborn tend to give their young angelic, exotic names. In addition, an adult Twinborn takes the name of their deity or a relating term or concept as a sort of middle name, between their first, given name, and their last, familial name.
Male names: Ratus, Tirhalen, Arheas, Tahad, Zenaront
Female names: Atones, Taliel, Alarua, Sapurerai, Exania
Family names: Eharuch, Hozason, Bamirahal, Nedopuepon, Lelod
It should be noted that the term "Twinborn" is actually a simplification of their race's name from the Celestial tongue into Common. A more strict translation would be "The Whole and Complete People of Unity and Faith," but Twinborn is used in most modern conversation for its brevity and simplicity.
- +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, −2 Strength, −2 Dexterity: The two-headed Twinborn are possessed of exceptional wit and wisdom, but their double vision tends to make them unstable on their feet, and their studies tend to neglect physical aptitude.
- Humanoid (Twinborn): The unusual features and abilities of the Twinborn mark them as their own unique breed of humanoid.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Twinborn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Twinborn base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Twinborn can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Twinborn can function just fine with no light at all.
- +2 racial bonus on Heal, Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
- −3 racial penalty on Disguise checks to appear as another race. The distinctive appearance of a Twinborn makes them unlikely to pass for another race.
- Instability: A Twinborn suffers a -4 penalty on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). Their two heads, while in some ways advantageous, make them less steady on their feet.
- Spell-Like Ability: 1/5 minutes—cure minor wounds. The save DC is Charisma-based. This ability cannot be improved by any feats or effects. This ability cannot be used more than 100 times a day.
- Automatic Languages: Celestial, Common, and the regional language (if applicable). Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Favored Class: Cleric or Paladin, chosen at 1st level.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||400 years||1200 years||+10d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 5"||+3d10||125 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 0"||+3d10||90 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
This is a variant of the standard Twinborn class for those DMs who believe the Twinborn's CmW 1/minute ability is somehow game-breaking. The creator was surprised, and a little annoyed, at how many DMs reacted to the concept with utter revulsion. Nonetheless, this serves as something for those unhappy sorts to use. Expect further changes.