Tengu (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Tengu are crow-people that live high in the mountains in hidden treetop villages. They are a secret people who rarely interact with the outside world. Tengu are lithe, fast, regimented, and diligent. To enter Tengu territory is to be under constant watch from unknown forces. Here the tengu take every precaution to keep their village from being discovered by outsiders.
The Tengu are by nature reclusive and alert, always keeping watch over their surroundings. The Tengu tend to stay hidden and watch from afar. Their lives mainly involve labor to supply and feed the Treetop villages in which they nest and judicious reconnaissance of their territory, always ensuring that their village is never discovered. On the rare occasions when individual Tengu interact with non-Tengu, it is usually to exchange information. Tengu make great investigators due to their aptitude for spotting details and keeping watch, as well as their natural affinity for reading others.
Tengu are mostly humanoid in shape, but as Crow folk, Tengu appear different in several ways. First, their nails tend to be sharper, like a crow's talons. Secondly, Tengu are lithe and slender, with males being noticeably larger then females, and tend to have thinner, slightly longer noses than humans do. Finally, every Tengu sports a pair of black feathery wings, which allow them to fly at great speed. Some Tengu are capable of flying so fast they appear as a blurr to those not expecting them to fly by. They are slightly smaller than Humans and often weigh less. Tengu are relatively long-lived compared to humans, often living several centuries.
Tengu are reclusive, and tend to keep others at a distance even on the occasions when contact is made. The Tengu are less suspicious of the Kappa, however, and tend to trust them more than other races, since they sometimes share mountains together, the Kappa in the dank caves and the Tengu high in the trees and clouds. Most communication with non-tengu is between Tengu and Kappa. Tengu are automatically unfriendly towards all races except other Tengu and Kappas.
Tengu tend to be enigmatic, but also regimented. The guard keeps close watch over the territory, and many of the happenings in the Tengu village are precisely orchestrated. Due to their tendency towards regimented society and disciplined life, the Tengu are most often Lawful. A Tengu's view on good or evil is dependent entirely on the tengu in question.
The Tengu are tree-dwelling people that live in the Mountains. Their villages tend to be wooden structures built into massive trees that grow high in the mountain forests, far away from human civilization. their treetop structures are only accessible by flight, and are unnoticeable from the ground. Most people who walk through the mountains and stumble upon a Tengu village dont even know it before they are assailed by swarms of talons and arrows.
Like all Japanese myths, the Animistic religions stand strong in the Tengu faith.
Tengu speak Common like the Kappas they speak with.
Tengu often have names that embody speed and agility, or something involving the structure of Tengu society.
Male: Aki, Junichi, Kaede, Kei, Kunio, Kyo, Mamoru, Michio, Osamu, Raiden, Sadao, Satoshi, Sho, Sora.
Female: Aki, Amaterasu, Amaya, Ayumi, Chika, Kasumi, Kotone, Maiko, Mayumi, Moriko, Sora, Suzume.
- Strength -2, Dexterity +4, Constitution -2, Intelligence -2, Wisdom +2: Tengu are frighteningly fast, but not physically impressive. They are also great at reading others and spotting things that others miss, however their seclusion from human society has left them uninformed of the happenings of the outside world.
- Monstrous Humanoid: The Tengu are humanoid, but boast a very crowlike appearance.
- Medium: Tengu gain no bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Tengu base land speed is 30 feet: Tengu, if they arent wearing Heavy armour or carrying a Heavy load, also have a fly speed equal to 40 plus an extra 5 feet for every point of their Dexterity modifier. (Good maneuverability)
- Low-Light Vision: Tengu can see up to 4 times as far as humans in dim lighting.
- Tengu racial skill bonuses: Tengu gain a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks, and a +2 racial bonus on Gather Information, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. Note that Hide is always considered a Class Skill to Tengu.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (except Secret languages).
- Favored Class: a Tengu's favored class is Ranger.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|150 years||250 years||500 years||+3d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 7"||+2d8||85 lb.||× (1d8) lb.|
|Female||4' 4"||+2d6||70 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|