Talk:Priest (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
 Rating: 1/10
This will be straightforward. The class actually never gets spellcasting ability; I think it is supposed to but, as written, does not. So it is not as good at healing as a cleric. Second, the class's innate healing abilities are extremely weak; even if combined with a cleric's spells, they provide no great benefit. Third, this class has the opportunity to raise dead, resurrect, etc. far too early. This is extremely unbalancing. Third, the class has no hit die, poor skills, weird base save progressions (why will so high?), a poor attack bonus, no armor and nearly no weapon proficiencies (even simple weapons!), and an extremely limiting alignment restriction. And, as I mentioned, no spells. And they lack the other cleric abilities, such as turning undead. This class is so weak as to be unplayable. Frankly, NPC classes like the expert and adept are more effective than this class. Even if a spellcasting ability is added, the class still is much weaker than a cleric, except the startlingly easy access to resurrection magic. --EldritchNumen 15:56, 9 December 2006 (MST)
 Can i even give it a 0?
wow....why would you even play this? at first level a cleric can heal at least 1d8+1 a couple time a day, whereas this can only heal 1d4 once? no turn undead, no weapons or armor, weird save progression....wow, ive seen bad. not to sound like an ass, but is this your first class attemt? In the DMs guide right before the pristeige classes there is a guide on how to create your own classes. if i may, im asking permission to improve it a bit. i like the idea, and i think i can improve it with a little research. ==Alabastor 07:27, 9 March 2007 (MST)
- You can always edit a class if you feel you can improve it. If someone wants something locked, they will request it. I quote from the bottom of an edit page:
- "If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here."
- So go right ahead and improve it, that is the whole beauty of D&D Wiki! Take a look at Class Construction System (DnD Other) and Character Class Design Guidelines (DnD Other). They are better than what you will even find in the DMG. --Aarnott 10:34, 9 March 2007 (MST)
- Would you like to improve on this and adopt it as your own? --Green Dragon 15:12, 11 March 2007 (MDT)
- yeah, ill have to do some reaserge on some rules and abilities, but i should have it a lean mean healing machine in no time. i just wasnt sure if i had to ask permission from thje author or not. ^^;; ==Alabastor 07:26, 12 March 2007 (MDT)
- Okay. --Green Dragon 22:49, 12 March 2007 (MDT)
well i fixed it up, we'll just see what you think ==Alabastor 08:28, 12 March 2007 (MDT)
- Hello Alabastor. Thanks for fixing it up, it looks much better now. One thing about your previous comment (whether or not to ask for permission to modify something). If it is a user who created the page, you definitely should ask, and post in the discussion stating what you want to do and whether it is okay or not. However, if you look through the history for this page, you will see that an IP created it and left it after this stage. That means the author has not kept up to date with it, and you are probably safe to modify it to your hearts content. I hope that this clears a few things up. --Blue Dragon (talk) 09:05, 12 March 2007 (MDT)
 Rating - 5/10
I give this class a 5/10 because it is "Workable, yet clearly needs improvement. Needs better wording." I would like to emphasize the "Needs better wording" Half of these abilities are not written out - even though a player can guess at the result of the ability. Also, this class has no information under "Other Classes" and "Alignment". Once the abilities of this class are written out so one can see better how they work this class will be much better, however until that time this really should not be considered playable. --Green Dragon 18:42, 13 March 2007 (MDT)
- ok, i redid what you sugested. hows it now? ==Alabastor 07:28, 14 March 2007 (MDT)
- You may want to supply a link to the spell so it is easier for people to find the spell. --Green Dragon 18:38, 15 March 2007 (MDT)
- i tried,but either i spelled some of them wrong, or those pages dont exist. ill try my best to find them thought ==Alabastor 16:44, 16 March 2007 (MDT)
- Have you tried searching for the spells to find them? --Green Dragon 22:38, 18 March 2007 (MDT)
- Truthfuly, no. Usually i have a whole 15-30 minutes a day to edit. Its my bad==Alabastor 07:37, 19 March 2007 (MDT)
- It's fine, EldritchNumen took care of the links. However, still the abilites are badly worded. If you want this rating to be taken off the abilites should be worded how WotC would word their abilities — make them clearly defined. To see what to compare your writings of abilities to check out SRD:Character Classes. --Green Dragon 22:36, 19 March 2007 (MDT)
- Alot of the abilities arent complicated, but i tried to make them as spesific as i could. ==Alabastor 07:50, 29 March 2007 (MDT)
- Looks better. I have now nullified this rating. --Green Dragon 16:51, 29 March 2007 (MDT)
 Rating - 9/10
I was very much in lvoe with this concept, and I'm happy to see someone figured out how to pull it off. We now have a great and pure healer, one I'll be waiting to throw in my next campaign. You solidly worked out the issues for this, and aside from the lack of external links, it's now much more solid for gameplay. --Theophenes 16:38, 1 May 2007 (MDT)
- well thank you. if you have any more things that need fixing, just call doctor nick! ==Alabastor 06:24, 2 May 2007 (MDT)
 Rating - 5/10
This class gains only one real ability: to heal, and to heal well. The class would benefit greatly to at the very least other priestly support magic. I feel that virtually every member of this class would be cookie-cutter similar, and I find this unacceptable to the spirit of the game. The class seems to have been created essentially by a player who wanted a very specific ability and so wrote a class for it; I feel that this is more a character outline than a fully developed class. 5/10 –EldritchNumen 01:33, 3 May 2007 (MDT)
- So what would you suggest then? ==Alabastor 06:23, 3 May 2007 (MDT)
- As a side comment I changed the overall balance from 7.5 to 7 ((9+5)/2 = 7). --Green Dragon 16:28, 3 May 2007 (MDT)
- Heh. Thanks. Anyway, I think the problem is basic to the class; it's simply constructed in a way that doesn't allow for any real variation. Any lasting change would involve a base-up reconstruction of the class. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The changes you made have improved this class unbelievably, but such resuscitation can only do so much. –EldritchNumen 19:48, 3 May 2007 (MDT)
- Well, i dont have any ranks in Perform (miacle) lol. I was thinking mabey i could convert it into a PrC, but itd take some finagling. ==Alabastor 06:23, 4 May 2007 (MDT)
 Rating 2/10
This could be a useful NPC class. But a PC class? No. Why? It is much too limited. Nobody likes the Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook, but this one here is even more useless. It doesn't even get a unicorn!
- It sucks so bad at melee it can hardly defend itself. D12 hitpoints is nice but without armour he's still dead. Compare to a cleric in full plate.
- It can't use a wand of Cure Light Wounds because it doesn't have a caster level and it doesn't have UMD.
- It can't even break enchantments.
- It can't even neutralize poison.
- It can't heal negative levels, ability damage, stunning, paralysis, petrification, blindness, deafness, dazzle... it can't heal any of the afflictions and conditions that heroes have to deal with.
There is nothing this class can't do except healing hit point damage. What's the point of having this guy in a party when you can have a cleric? Give the Rogue a few wands and scrolls and he could play that part. Heck, give everybody a few potions and this guy is superfluous. It's so completely useless. I'd rather poke my eye out in shame than play this, and he can't even heal that.
If that class ever shows up on my gaming table I'd throw him into the next river. Without swim as a class skill he'll be gone soon, especially since he can't take off his Priest robes without losing his class abilities!
This class stinks! (Literally, considering that he'll lose his powers if he ever takes his clothes off to wash them.) --Mkill 09:14, 14 June 2007 (MDT)
- This rating has been nullified with the implementation of the new Rating System. --Green Dragon 14:41, 20 February 2008 (MST)
Power - 0/5 I give this class a 0 out of 5 because the class has no options and exists only to react to the choices of others --18.104.22.168 11:52, 11 June 2010 (UTC)
Wording - 1/5 I give this class a 1 out of 5 because the class offers no meaningful choices, has minimal ability to participate both in and out of combat --22.214.171.124 11:52, 11 June 2010 (UTC)
Formatting - 2/5 I give this class a 2out of 5 because Formatting was followed on the most basic level but standard formula driven progressions were ignored. Take the Pain is a nightmare lacking any game definitions. --126.96.36.199 11:52, 11 June 2010 (UTC)
Flavor - 0/5 I give this class a 0 out of 5 because No flavor is provided. This is a poor attempt to create a dedicated healer class. --188.8.131.52 11:52, 11 June 2010 (UTC)
I overide the class by mistake. I tried to resore it. i dont know how it happened. I named the class "Priest,Physician"
 Possible Replacement?
My friend created a Priest class for my personal use, and I would like to share it with you guys. How exactly would I go about doing that? Should I overwrite this page, or should I create a completely new one? Any help would be appreciated. 184.108.40.206 21:33, 1 September 2010 (MDT)
 I am the creator
thanks for the help.
Hello. I am the creator of the class. I am glad you enjoyed the class. It is supposed to be designed for the Teoryran World. Where spellcasting is rare and there are no clerics in Teoryran. Priests and Paladins are not Spell casters. I forgot it existed and keept working on other aspects of that setting. The class is a non-spell casting healer class that was supposed to compensate with trickster and deception related concepts.
The character type was supposed be able to sell fake medicine to get extra money or to gather rumours. Get close to patients in order to spy on them or kill them etc. The class was not supposed to be able to raise dead on early levels. How is the alignment restrictive?
Mm, the name is problematic. I made several Priest classes or planned them. They would all be Kored priests. But the Physician was one of the Priests Classes. The Priests can only take other Priest classess. Monks only other Monk classess.