Talk:Foundling Monk (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
I just checked both the Oriental Adventures and Complete Warrior version of this class. In neither of them does the Mountain tattoo grant +4 Str and +4 Con. Both versions grant +4 Wis and +4 Con. 188.8.131.52 05:36, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
Monster class rules require you to take all monster levels before any character class levels. Also, an alternative to the ogre, is the half-ogre (Races of Destiny). It only gets a +6 to Str and +2 to Con, but mental stat penalties are only −2 to Int and Cha, and it's still Large with only a +2 LA and only one racial HD which can be replaced with a character class level. —Sledged (talk) 15:37, 24 December 2007 (MST)
- I looked at the half-ogre, but the one I found online was size M. That one sounds perfect. -- S1Q3T3 16:17, 24 December 2007 (MST)
Odds and Ends
- The Savage Species (3.0) half-ogre is a bit different from the Races of Destiny (3.5) one.
- With the progression you put together, the character doesn't have any HD (class, racial, or otherwise) until 3rd level. The first two levels are just adjustments. If you do the do the monster class progression, you have to have a class level (or the racial HD, but giant HD don't compare to monk levels) at 1st ECL.
- Feats need to be redone now that you're using the half-ogre. The character doesn't meet the prereqs for Improved Sunder (requires Power Attack), Improved Trip (requires Combat Expertise unless it's taken at the 6th level of monk), Fist of Iron [requires BAB +2 (and Stunning Fist if the Complete Warrior version is used)], Improved Natural Attack (BAB +4), Eagle Claw Attack (requires Improved Sunder), and Ki Shout (requires Cha 13).
- The ability score increase characters gain every four levels does not apply to level adjustments, only Hit Dice.
|1st||monk||Improved Unarmed Strike, bonus feat (Improved Trip, Stunning Attack, or martial arts feat), feat||half-ogre base traits (+2 Str, +2 Con, −2 Int, −2 Cha, giant type, darkvision), flurry of blows|
|2nd||half-ogre LA||+2 Str, +2 natural armor|
|3rd||half-ogre LA||+2 Str, +2 natural armor, Large size, −2 Dex|
|4th||monk||bonus feat (Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, or martial arts feat)||evasion|
|6th||monk||ki strike (magic), slow fall 20 ft., ability score increase (+1 Str)|
|7th||monk||purity of body|