Talk:Boxer (3.5e Alternate Class Feature)
From D&D Wiki
This is a good one. I like it. If I would change anything, than state somewhere that the increased unarmed damage is just like monk increased unarmed damage, and fighter and monk levels stack for determining increased unarmed damage. That way, you also clear up whether anything that applies to monk unarmed strikes (monk's belt etc.) also works for the fighter with this substitution level. It also means you can shorten the description because you don't have to repeat the whole text from the monk. --Mkill 06:32, 12 August 2007 (MDT)
- Great points. I changed one statement to, "gains the monk's unarmed strike". That should cover many interaction issues.
- The ability should work correctly with fighter, any full BAB class/prestige class, and monk/monk prestige class. (Hopefully, the majority of cases.) So now we could have unarmed barbarians raging with their fists-of-fury and unarmed rangers. There are still a few interaction issues in there that I'm not 100% happy with. I'll see if I think of any corner cases that I missed.--Dmilewski 08:21, 12 August 2007 (MDT)
- It's probably the easiest just say
- "You use your BAB as your effective monk level to determine your unarmed strike damage. Treat all monk levels as full BAB for this purpose only."
- That way, players only need to calculate once without the need to compare anything.
- Another wording thing: instead of "You may learn the monk ability "Flurry of Blows" as if it were a fighter bonus feat." I would write:
- "At any level where you receive a fighter bonus feat, you may take the monk class feature Flurry of Blows instead. You may only flurry with your unarmed strike, and the -2 attack penalty does not improve at later levels like a monks." --Mkill 08:39, 12 August 2007 (MDT)
- I like that wording. Please edit that in. --Dmilewski 08:49, 12 August 2007 (MDT)
- Added in the second sentence. Your first sentence doesn't work due to prestige classes. We want the fighter able to pick martial prestige classes and still be able to maintain his chosen weapon. Since we can't guarantee unarmed attack progression in other classes, we need a metric that we can rely on. That is BAB. Unfortunately, we can't use that with monk, as monk prestige classes bump monk abilities specifically, and give 3/4 BAB. This means we can easily wind-up double-counting some elements. Blah. --Dmilewski 19:44, 12 August 2007 (MDT)
- Why not just make this a fighter only bonus feat (like weapon specialization)? that would be much easier, and I think it would also be better (this is practically a feat with a "fighter level 1st" prequisite, and "fighter bonus feat" special, anyway. Then you can have the "flurry of blows" thing as another seperate feat with prequisites that state that you have to get the first feat to get the second one. --Sam Kay 08:51, 15 August 2007 (MDT)
- If you compare this ability to [Improved Unarmed Strike], you will find that the this ability outclasses Improved Unarmed Strike by a fair margin. Unlike a feat, this ability advances as you level. It was these two things that convinced me to turn this into an alternate class feature. --Dmilewski 10:44, 27 August 2007 (MDT)
- Maybe the Fighter can take it again to get rid of the -2 to hit for all attacks?
it would be weird to see a fighter wearing plate armor to throw his fist up to an opponent... O_o --Jack Bread 00:08, 17 July 2008 (MDT)