Shower of Arrows (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Shoot a barrage of arrows every round, adding Skirmish damage to each of them all the while keeping full skirmish damage and a high BAB.
- Flaws (Unearthed Arcana)
- Complete Adventurer
- Complete Scoundrel
- Complete Warrior
- Magic Item Compendium
- Races of the Wild
- Complete Mage
Game Rule Components
Starting Ability Scores (Before Racial Adjustments): (Assuming 32 Point Buy) 10 18 14 14 10 8
Race (Templates): Elf
|Saving Throws||Feats|| Class
|1st||Scout 1||+0||+0||+2||+0||Expeditious Dodge||Skirmish +1d6, Trapfinding|
|2nd||Scout 2||+1||+0||+3||+0||Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge|
|3rd||Scout 3||+2||+1||+3||+1||Weapon Focus: Longbow||Fast Movement +10', Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC, Trackless Step|
|4th||Ranger 1||+3||+3||+5||+1||Track, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot||Arcane Hunter, Wild Empathy|
|5th||Scout 4||+4||+3||+6||+1||Swift Hunter||Favored Enemy: Undead, Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC|
|6th||Ranger 2||+5||+4||+7||+1||Improved Skirmish, Rapid Shot|
|7th||Ranger 3||+6||+4||+7||+2||Endurance||Skirmish +2d6/+2 AC|
|8th||Ranger 4||+7||+5||+8||+2||Animal Companion|
|9th||Ranger 5||+8||+5||+8||+2||Mobility||Skirmish +3d6/+2 AC|
|10th||Ranger 6||+9||+6||+9||+3||Manyshot||Favored Enemy: Constructs|
|11th||Ranger 7||+10||+6||+9||+3||Skirmish +3d6/+3 AC, Woodland Stride|
|12th||Ranger 8||+11||+7||+10||+3||Greater Manyshot||Swift Tracker||Build reaches full potential|
|13th||Ranger 9||+12||+7||+10||+4||Evasion, Skirmish +4d6/+3 AC|
|15th||Ranger 11||+14||+8||+11||+4||Elusive Target, Improved Precise Shot||Favored Enemy: Oozes, Skirmish +4d6/+4 AC|
|17th||Ranger 13||+16||+9||+12||+5||Camouflage, Skirmish +5d6/+4 AC|
|18th||Ranger 14||+17||+10||+13||+5||Woodland Archer|
|19th||Ranger 15||+18||+10||+13||+6||Skirmish +5d6/+5 AC|
|20th||Ranger 16||+19||+11||+14||+6||Favored Enemy: Elementals|
At level 20: Scout 4 / Ranger 16
Items of Note
- Goggles of Foefinding (Get this ASAP to ignore soft cover)
- Boost Wisdom at higher levels with an item to get access to your spells
- Skirmisher Boots allow you to add 2 to all skirmish attack damage rolls. Also, you may add an extra attack at your full base attack bonus when you move at least 10ft from the space you began in 2 times per day.
- Bow with Splitting enchantment. Fire an arrow and it turns into two. Now you too can block out the sun.
- Use Greater Manyshot to add Skirmish damage to each arrow, firing all arrows as a Standard Action after moving.
- Assumed stats at level 20:
- Dex: 18 (Base) + 2 (Racial) + 5 (Level) + 6 (Item) + 5 (Tome) = 36 (+13)
- Attack Bonus: 19 (BAB) + 13 (Dex) + 1 (Weapon Focus) + 5 (Magic) + 1 (Point Blank Shot) - 8 (Greater Manyshot) = +31/+31/+31/+31
- Damage: 1d8 (Arrow) + 5d6+5 (Magic) + 5d6 (Skirmish) + 2d6 (Improved Skirmish) + 1 (Point Blank Shot) = 1d8+12d6+6
- Total damage per attack comes out to 52.5 (on average). Should all attacks hit, that's 210 damage, or 126 damage when weighted against an AC of 40.
- Move, then use Greater Manyshot to attack foes in range, adding Skirmish damage to every arrow.
- Keep foes within 30' for skirmish damage, and move at least 40' per round to gain +2 to AC from Expeditious Dodge.
- Replace Woodland Archer or Elusive Target with Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium) to add your Dexterity modifier to damage.
- Pick up a strength-enhancing item and a Composite Longbow.
- Pick up a wand of Hunter's Eye (PHB2) and have someone cast Greater Invisibility upon you to add even more damage.
- Pick up a wand of Hunter's Mercy (Spell Compendium) for an automatic critical on your next attack the following round.
- Creatures immune to Skirmish (though Favored Enemy through Swift Hunter should help)
- Multiclassing XP penalty slows down leveling
- Defenses apart from AC (illusions, concealment, etc)
- Keep enemies at a distance greater than 30' so they can't be affected by Skirmish.
- If you don't care for Ranger spells, take the Champion of the Wild alternative class feature in Complete Champion for more feats.