Shadar-Kai variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Living on the material plane causes strain on a Shadar-Kai's sanity. They are often illogical and quick to anger, and many have at least one sort of psychological disorder. This generally rights itself upon returning home. In the plane of shadow, Shadar-Kai are much calmer and more logical, but are still very sadistic and masochistic.
 Physical Description
Shadar-Kai are tall and scrawny and very fragile. Their skin is typically grey, but can be a pale shade of any color imaginable. Their hair is typically a solid color that is very intense and vibrant. Shadar-Kai tend to style their hair either spiked up to defy gravity, or in dread locks. Their bodies are covered in scars, tattoos, and piercings because of their masochistic nature. Their eyes are entirely black.
Shadar-Kai tend to be neutral or evil.
Shadar-Kai are from the plane of shadow and are uncomfortable living anywhere else.
Shadar-Kai who live outside of the shadow plane often wear a Gal-Ralan. This bracer has a long spike on the inside that burrows deep into the lower arm, resting between the two bones. This causes constant pain. The wearer of a Gal-Ralan takes one point of constitution damage that can only be healed after the Gal-Ralan is removed. Although painful, this bracer helps keep the wearer's soul inside his body. It gives the wearer a +1 to all saves. If a Shadar-Kai wearing a Gal-Ralan has to make a saving throw vs the shadow curse, he gets an additional +2 to the roll.
Many Shadar-Kai who leave the plane of shadow also carry a Blackstone Rune. This stone acts as a portal between the plane of shadow and where ever the holder is. Once activated, the Blackstone Rune can transport one person and up to 50 lbs of items to the plane of shadow or back to where it was last activated if the user is already in the plane of shadow. Each rune has 3 charges.
They speak Common, Elven, and Sylven. Because they often make deals with the Drow, Undercommon is a popular bonus language.
Shadar-Kai have names similar to Elven names. They choose their own name as they enter into adulthood and may choose to change their name should they have some sort of life-changing experience.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma
- Medium: No size-related bonuses.
- Shadar-Kai base land speed is 30 feet.
- Blend into Shadows: A Shadar-Kai can hide in plain sight in areas with heavy shadow. They also get a +4 bonus to hide rolls made while in shadowed areas.
- Sneak Attack: Shadar-Kai get a +1d6 racial bonus to sneak attacks.
- Superior low-light vision
- Spiked Chain Proficiency: All Shadar-Kai are automatically proficient with the spiked chain.
- Shadow Curse: If a Shadar-Kai is dazed, stunned, staggered, knocked unconscious (except for natural sleep), or has his gal-ralan removed, he must make a will save (DC 15). If failed, the Shadar-Kai loses part of his soul to the plane of shadow, causing him to lose one level and feel a strong urge to return home. Multiple levels may be lost this way. A Shadar-Kai who has failed at least one saving throw cannot be brought back from the dead. Effects of the curse may be countered with a wish or lesser miracle spell, or temporarily removed by returning to the plane of shadow (though effects will return if he leaves again). A Shadar-Kai may continue to gain experience and levels as usual even if he has failed a saving throw vs the curse, but will be one level behind.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Sylven. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Draconic, Infernal, Abyssal.
- Favored Class: Rogue
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|