Sarli (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|WFRC Race Created by|
|WFRC User Page:||R.M.G.C.L.F.|
 The Sarli
The sarli are a mysterious and somewhat cat-like race. They are rare and far-apart so as a result they have little in the way of unified culture. They drink blood to sustain themselves and have an almost obsessive fascination with undead and the occult, hence their tendency to specialize in necromancy or being a necromancer.
Sarli tend to be mysterious and charming, though they always appear devious, as if they have something to hide or are plotting something. They always speak courteously and gently to all creatures, even in combat, but they have a semi-permanent snide look and often lace their soothing tone with sarcasm.
Most Sarli's tends to be relaxed, calm, and easy-going but slightly lazy. They tend to be lazy so far to works that are not of importance in their lives and can be seen not focusing their attention on things that does not interest them. But a Sarli can be hard-working and can spent their entire time on something that gets their attention. Mostly a Sarli that focused her attention and trains on a subject that is of interest to her can become an expert on it in a matter of days. Sarli's tends to be interested in the study of anatomical structure's of almost all species and are fascinated on how one develops and why it utterly leads to death and why. They are not far from studying undeath and almost all subjects under it. Because of this, Sarli's are not far from being corrupted in their study of the arts, specially its dark secrets and some are known to go way over what is morally accepted.
Apart from their evil, sarcastic and sometimes easy-going nature, Sarli's are at most disciplined and cultured. They know how to act well mannered and civilized if the occasion ask it and they know how to dress well. They also like to groom themselves well, bathing, picking the right clothes, and present theirselves to the public as best as possible.
Sarli's mostly prefer simple, practical yet luxurious dark clothes, they prefer actual comfort and shows of wealth through clothing but most of the time, being extravagant does not help so being comfortable in their clothing is what they apply most of the time. Most female Sarli's prefer to wear heavy cloaks or long overcoats along with white longsleeve shirts and long flowing skirts. Male Sarli's usually go for thick or baggy sweaters and either tight trousers or dark cargo shorts or pants.
 Physical Description:
Sarli's are a humanoid race, except that they have cat-like features, like having large cat ears, slightly loose skin, fur, cat tails and other minor cat-like details. They are humanoid in almost all aspects except that they are digitigrade (weight is borne on the toes) in which they use their toes to walk, run or stand straight. Being a digitigrade does only apply to their feet and Sarli's still have access to a fully functional humanoid hands,and because of this body make-up, Sarli's have great dificulty on running on all four's unlike other feline humanoids and are not good swimmers.
Sarli have a variety of strange features. They look vaguely feline but have snake-like pupils and fangs that can give hint of their diet. Their bodies are slender,lithe, appears frail and almost all of it are covered with black, short, fur with the thickest are located at the chest, knees, at the elbows and arms(though it is still slightly short and albino Sarli's are seen but slightly rare). They have crystal-like claws and deep, golden, mysterious eyes(though red, violet and green are seen but mostly uncommon) as well as a long ultraviolet-tipped tail. Sarli tends to have long flowing hair which grows rapidly at the 6th month after birth, though they tend to trim the male's hair to what is acceptable in human standards.
They stands from 2-1/2 to 3 feet tall and weighs between 15 to 25 pounds only, with female's shorter and lighter than male. Sarli tend to reach adulthood in their late teens (17 yr old) and can live for almost two to three century with little to no change of their adult appearance. Almost all of their kin are gifted with good physical appearance, from being simply cute, to charming, to outright attractive, which sometimes works like charm in certain situations.
Due to their appearance and reputation, few races, including evil races, trust sarli. However, elves and dwarves are particularly unnerved by them and sometimes cannot even abide their very presence, largely because of their connection to the occult and the undead, not to mention their diet of daily blood. Because of this, they are not usually welcomed to dwarven or elven lands and if a Sarli visitor steps inside one of either territories, they are either be mistreated or directed to the exit.
Half-orcs are not on the Sarli's friendlist since they did not enjoy conversing with beings who can't follow up with what they are talking about. However they tend not to tell them about it and feign interest if they are present and a lot of times, sliding a couple of unobvious sarcastic replies for their enjoyment. Half-orcs however find them cute and usually tries to pet them, intelligent or wise Half-orcs however found the truth sooner or later and resent them.
They tend to get along moderately well with gnomes, though neither can explain why, they somehow just seem to "click" and both enjoys the company of each other. Sometimes, gnome's will help a Sarli in its time of needs if needed be and will try to protect them if possible. Halfling's however are more aware of their evil tendency, though they treat the Sarli's just like other Catfolks are treated and are always fair with their dealings with them.
They are fairly tolerated and sometimes(though its rare) are taken good care by humans who finds them pleasing yet mysterious, eventhough humans do get their fair share of sarcastic replies when they are with them. Good humans are mostly concerned about their wellfare and safety and sometimes will try their best to take good care of them. A lot of times however, good humans always tries to watch the Sarli's daily activities if possible since Sarli's are usually involved on an evil activity or are known to be kidnapped by evil entities. Evil and vile humans are in constant need of the Sarli's magical services, specially their expertise in the undead and are willing to pay high specially during war in where massive forces are needed to replace the casualties.
However, with all the benefits that the Sarli's recieve from humans, there is always an air of a cold, sad feeling of fear and uncertainty when they are dealing with them and Sarli's are afraid to completely trust a human even those who treat them good. A large part of this is because some humans find Sarli's as an object of love and desire, either finding them cute, entertaining or attractive and it is not limited to those of evil alignment.
Since they are physically weak and prone to being mistreated, misjudged or abused by opportunist or other races who have slights on their kin, it is hard to see a Sarli alone and most of them are seen within parties or groups of four souls or more. A party composed mostly of Sarli's are rare to find, which leaves them little choice but to ally themselves with other races mostly humans, gnomes or halfling. This give's them also no choice but to always go in pairs to guard each other, if possible. If ever abandoned, lost, or seperated, they are not far from approaching legitimate authority or someone that looks trustworthy and ask if they are able to join with them for a moments time until they find another member of their race.
Sarli have a mild tendency towards evil, but encountering a good or neutral sarli is not at all uncommon. Those sarli that are evil tend towards lawful or neutral evil, those that are good tend to stray away from lawful good. These is partly because of their upbringing and how they are teached on how to live in a world in where they are mistreated and not trusted.
 Sarlis Lands:
Sarli's do not have a large territory that they call home, every Sarli's are on their own from birth with the exception of parents and nearby kins. Whatever land that they legally own, they protect it fiercely if ever be threatened and they are not afraid in using magic and necromancy to ward and protect it from hoax claimers, thieves and such.
However, Sarli are known to live wherever there is a book to read, food to eat, and they don't get attacked more than four times a week. Shelters are preferred warm and comfortable, if ever it be available and if ever they are settled, it must be near a source of profit for their kind.
Most lawful sarli worship Wee Jas, however male sarli do not devote themselves to any particular gods.
Sarli have common and draconic as their starting languages. Their bonus languages can be any languages other than elven or dwarven or secret languages such as druidic.
Sarli favor mysterious names, if any at all. They are generally few and spread out, so one in a small community may go through life being known simply as "The Sarlis"
Sarli will often go adventuring to seek out knowledge and new experiences. Regardless of alignment, they are always eager for an opportunity to try new things and hone their skills. Unlike some races, their society encourages adventuring rather than repressing it.
The most seen Sarli's that are adventuring are mostly wizards who tend to specialize in necromancy, though enchantment is also another school that they tend to like. An adventuring rogue or bard Sarli's are also easy to spot, though sorcerers and divine spellcaster other than clerics is slightly hard to find in their rank.
Most other classes are hard to find to the point of being rare. Druid and ranger Sarli's are exceptionally rare and fighter or monk Sarli's are just there to protect their own kin but most of them multiclass to rogue or wizards. However there are rumors going on of a Sarli paladin who is told to roam the lands and tries to clean her kins evil name. A barbaric Sarli however is most unheard of for all know how to read and write.
One thing that Sarli's don't like is large bodies of water, from ponds to streams specially oceans. It is not that they hate water, though self grooming through warm baths is one of the best things Sarli's like, the fact that their inability to swim effectively in deep waters unnerve's them and at most avoids it if possible.
All Sarli's have a P.C class.
|This section needs to be made into an NPC and become included here|
|Please feel free to help complete this!|
Sample Sarli's for the FR setting
Common, Draconic, Gnome, Sylvan, Undercommon,
A talented bard, negotiation expert and self-labelled spell-casting extraordanaire that roams from Metropolis to another Metropolis. Silalaqui or Syla for short is an intelligent, radiant, good-hearted yet flightly Sarli that is known to have a lot of friends and shady contacts concerning around trade, services, history, rumors or magic. She is quite distant and slightly hostile to those who she do not know, but she is nonetheless a loyal and quite a cheery companion if her trust is somehow gained. Only a few trusted people know that her happy and bright charm that she displays is just a front in a past that has teach and made her into a cunning and smart individual both in the field and society.
An artist at heart, Syla was raised just on the outskirts of Daerlun(sembia) with her wizard parents. At a young age, Syla was taught both by her parents on wizardry, her mother teach her on etiquette and manners while her father taught her how to play a Lute as a way to bond with his daughter, though he totally did not expect for her to fall in love with it.
As she grows up, Daerlun soon felt like a prison rather than home for her as the innocence of youth slowly fades away from her heart. Being teased by the youth because of her activities, accused of mischief along with her parents when something has gone wrong and at a tender age of ten she is already being courted by strangers that find her highly interesting. All these becomes a factor in her life that she tries to overcome and she all see these as challenges that will soon lead to her freedom and dream of seeing the world that her mother has always said in her bedroom.
Syla's 20th year in Daerlun is a signal that she is on her own, having already learned the basics of wizardry and a sprinkle of music, she was tempted into going on an expedition by several halflings and human merchants into Baldurs Gate to deliver Thayan and Sembian goods, of course with the promise of access to the mythical library of Candlekeep that she only heard in tales so far. With this, the eldest daughter of the Sarli family that lives in Daerlun secretly pack up her bag and was gone by morning.
However disaster struck just several weeks while travelling in the form of evil personalities who wished to gain wealth through violence, the caravan was attacked during the night by combined forces of orc and human bandits and was strucked hard. Although the caravan was protected and the bandit was forced to route to minimize losses, in the confusion Syla was taken by several human bandits as leverage to escape the merchants guards. Even though the merchant guild and party tries to do a rescue, their attempts fail.
Chained and thrown inside a cage, Syla offered little resistance to her captors as she was brought to a hidden slave market on the outskirt of Iriaebor. Her race, expertise(her wizard books as evidence), heritage and exotic, attractive yet cute looks has fetch a high price among the traders with what she had heard from her new master as ranging from almost 5'000 to 10'000 gold, or as what they have exaggerated.
|This section needs to be made into an NPC and become included here|
|Please feel free to help complete this!|
Common, Draconic, Sylvan, Undercommon, Giant
A lone Sarli that lives on the nearby villages on the outskirts of Cliffsport(a small city on the shores of sea of fallen stars) who is known to be a "pet" of the known elite force of Zenthil keep, Captain Girard. Her parents however pass her to Girard when she is still young because her parents are both sent to the front to tend the wounded and help the war effort, however after the times of trouble, that is the last time Alia has ever seen her parents alive.
Cared like his only daughter by her master, Alia under Girard has been trained rigorously under all forms of range weaponry, bladed weapons and tactics while still teaching her the values of hardship, love and of living a simple life.
However after 3 decades since the Times of trouble, Captain Girard was tasked to do an assasination to a known leader of the cyric cult by the name Arlovski, he handpicked Alia as his partner for the mission and both of them are teleported on the outskirt of Thar.
 Sarlis Racial Traits:
- +2 Intelligence and +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution and -2 Strength. Sarli are clever and charming but feeble and weak.
- Small: As a Small creature, a Sarli gains a +1 size bonus to Armor class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character. She also got a -4 on all grapple checks.
- Space/reach: 5 feet/5feet
- A Sarli base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision of 60 feet
- Low-light vision
- Sarli receive a -2 racial penalty to bluff checks due to their untrustworthy looks and devious reputation, plus the fact that their tails tend to wiggle when they lie.
- Sarli receive a -4 racial penalty to swim checks, as their bodies are ill adept to an aquatic environment.
- Sarli receive a +2 racial bonus to Sense Motive checks. Sarli' can naturally look at someone's intentions which helps them through their everyday lives.
- Sarli receive a +2 bonus to spellcraft & Concentration checks made when casting necromancies or trying to identify a necromancy via detect magic due to their innate familiarity with the school.
- Sarli receive a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against necromancies, due to their innate knowledge of necromancy and how to resist it.
- Sarli receive a +2 racial attack bonus against rats, dire rats, were-rats, and other rat-like creatures. This represents an instinctual predatory ability to successfully hunt rats.
- Sarli get a +1 insight bonus to AC against undead creatures due to a keen nose for carrion and an ability to sense the path of the negative energy approaching them. This same sense grants them a +1 bonus to weapon and spell damage rolls against undead creatures.
- Sarli are immune to a were-rat's lycanthropy curse and cannot become were-rats by any method (including wishes and divine and epic level magic) unless they are first changed so that they are no longer sarli.
- Natural Weapons: primary bite(1d4piercing damage) and 2 claws attacks(1d3 points of slashing damage). Because of these weapons they qualify for the multi-attack feat
- Weapon proficiency: Sarli's recieves Martial weapon proficiency feats for dagger, rapier and scythe as bonus feats.
- Necromantic Rend(Su): A sarlis that hits an opponent with both claw attacks channels a surge of negative energy into them dealing 2 temporary strength damage.
- When a sarlis bites a creature, it can lick up some of the sweet blood that flows forth as a free action. This has no statistical bonus other than its nutritional value, but it's fun.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day--ghost skull, ghostly manifestation, minor flesh weave. Sarli with intelligence 13 or higher can cast the spells create ghost skull, ghostly manifestations, and minor flesh weave, once per day, as cast by a 1st level necromancer. Those with intelligence 12 or lower can still cast ghostly manifestations once per day.
- Hypnotic gaze(Ex): This power is a relic from the Sarli's primal and predatory ancestors. They can, once per two rounds, as a free action, daze any rodent or rat-like creature by staring directly into it's eyes (will save dc:10 plus 1/2 the sarlis's class levels + the sarlis's Charisma modifier negates) and cause it to lose its dex bonus to AC. Rodents are unaccustomed to direct eye contact and become momentarily lost in the sarlis's deep eyes.
- Diet: another setback from their ancestors is that Sarli enjoy hunting and eating live prey. Regardless of this, they have no qualms about eating cooked meat or even a vegetarian meal. However, they must drink at least one ounce(1/2 point of Constitution worth) of blood each day in order to keep their iron supply up. Failing to do so will result in one point of temporary Constitution damage per day without blood. The loss will be regained at the normal rate of ability damage healing, but a sarlis can recover it all in an hour by drinking one eighth(mostly 4 points of Constitution worth) of its weight in blood. Sarli also like cheese.
- Note: It is generally assumed that each day a sarlis will find some rat or other small animal from which to obtain blood unless conditions make that virtually impossible.
- Sarli cannot abide the flavor of dwarven blood (they say it tastes like vodka and sour milk) and any sarlis that drinks the blood of a dwarf must make a fortitude save (dc:11) or be nauseated for one round.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Language: Sylvan, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Giant.
- Favored Class: Necromancer. A multiclass Sarli’s Necromancer class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment: +0
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|90 years||160 years||245 years||+8d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 6"||+2d4||20 lb.||× 1 lb.|
|Female||2' 5"||+2d4||15 lb.||× 1 lb.|
 Spells to help out the Sarli