SRD Talk:Elans (Race)
From D&D Wiki
- This is not part of race listing in XPH, so it should be removed. I doubt that a DM would allow a player to use these weapon/armor feats, if he starts at LV1 (my DM didn't). This site isn't relyable anymore, if it differs from official sources (after applying errata)Zarathustra 07:57, 2 September 2009 (MDT)
- Despite the near-identical text used, the information present is based on the RTF copies of the SRD hosted on Wizards' web site, and not the XPH. Any differences from the SRD hosted on wizards' site, are due to errata, and rearranging the information in a more cohesive fashion. For example, there is no longer three different sections explaining what supernatural, spell-like, or extraordinary abilities are. They've been combined into one section with the text merged.
- The rules state that aberrations are proficient with all simple weapons and any weapon it is described as using unless specified otherwise. It makes no exception for PCs. This is why it explicitly states that elans do not get darkvision. If this wasn't stated as such, elans would get darkvision even if the racial traits were silent on the issue. Omission of an ability in the race description is not the same as not having the ability.
- For further reference and examples, see where the official FAQ supports this on pages 5 (the question about goliaths having darkvision) and 99 (the question about aasimar, tiefling and genasi PCs being automatically proficient with all martial weapons).
- That specification is because most aberration DO have Darkvision due to their type, and Elans are specified as not having ti to override that inherent ability. -Valentine the Rogue 21:13, 7 April 2009 (MDT)
Why does the elan have an ability reduction but not a bonus?
Why does the elan have an ability reduction but not a bonus? --Lord Mattos 08:57, 26 November 2009 (MST)
- the worlds not a perfect place.--Name Violation 16:21, 26 November 2009 (MST)
- Presumably, the race's perks outweigh a +2 bonus. --Dmilewski 18:31, 27 November 2009 (MST)