Rimecorpse (4e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
In areas of extreme cold sometimes fate claims the lives of the unsuspecting, draining the warmth from their bodies and slowly freezing them to death. If the victims of such tragedy suffer too long, or find themselves descending into hopeless misery, often the forces of the Shadowfell will fill their lifeless husks with a dark energy reanimating them with a hunger for warmth and comfort that they can never find. These horrifying creatures are called rimecorpses. Rimecorpses look very much like they did in life, only their bodies are drained of color and their faces are gaunt and twisted in the final throes of eternal agony. Ice and frost clings to their hair and skin with their eyes and lips drawn open as if partially dessicated by some hideous agent.
Rimecorpses are drawn to heat, and light. When they attack they will move to extinguish any source of fire they can find, hoping in vain to somehow warm themselves. After draining what they can from the flames they attack any living thing drawing it's heat away, and forcing them to feel the bitter suffering they must forever endure.
A character knows the following information with a successful Religion check.
- DC 20: Rimecorpses are the reanimated remains of those that have lost their lives either in the depths of icy landscapes or in the cold throes of winter. They seek out heat, and will drain it from any living thing they can find. Even in death they seem to suffer from the biting effects of the cold that has taken their lives. Those that die at their hands will very often rise within a few days as rimecorpses themselves. Rimecorpses are able to draw some strength from fire, and attempts to destroy them with it will often only make them stronger. Those that travel in areas that contain rimecorpses must be wary that they do not attract them with fires and light as it calls to them, and seems to only enrage them when they find no comfort in it's heat. These horrible undead can be found both outdoors, and in caves within icy landscapes. They haunt the areas near where they died seemingly chained to those locations for some reason. Still if they must they will follow creatures that have passed through their territories until they can kill and drain away all the heat they can find. After which they return to their former locations awaiting new prey
Rimecorpses can appear as lone individuals or in groups depending upon the circumstances that caused their tragic end. They are intelligent and free-willed, not willing to serve any other creature. Although they will take advantage of their terrain or other undead to help gain the heat they crave and to draw others into the same pitiless existence they now must endure.
Level 6 Encounter (XP 1400)
- 6 Rimecorpses (level 5 brute)
- Treacherous Ice Sheet (level 5 obstacle); page 89 of DMG
Level 10 Encounter (XP 2700)
- 4 Rimecorpses (level 5 brute)
- 1 Spirit Devourer (level 11 elite soldier)
- 1 Viscera Devourer (level 12 controller)
Level 14 Encounter (XP 5000)
- 4 Rimecorpses (level 5 brute)
- 4 Chillborn Zombies (level 6 soldier)
- 1 Death Knight (level 17 elite soldier)