Ood (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Ood are telepaths who communicate through mental singing. They are a hive-mind, bound by a great brain called the Ood Sphere. They are all bound together in peaceful thought. However, they can be brought to violence when the drastic need arises.
Ood have no vocal chords, instead communicating through telepathy. Where their mouth should be, coleoid tentacles protrude from a triangular opening. The Ood have two brains. One is regular to the size of a human brain and lies in their skulls. Their secondary brain is about one-fourth this size and is attached by an umbilical-like cord which protrudes with the coleoid tentacles. This secondary brain is held naked in the Oods' hands. They have naturally red eyes. However, the secondary brain can be severed, cutting them off from the Ood Sphere and their hive-mind and making their eyes appear white.
The Ood are naturally peaceful. For a race that holds part of its brain in it's own hands, the Ood must naturally trust anyone that they meet. Other races are not so friendly. This led to their enslavement by humankind. Humans would sever their secondary brains and replace them with a translator sphere. This made them subservient and limited their telepathic ability.
Ood are typically Lawful-Neutral or lawful-good. An Ood with his secondary brain severed must be completely Neutral.
No one knows the original planet where the Ood came from, but they exist throughout the Second Great and Bountiful Human Empire.
The Ood have no religion, but they exist in a hive mind controlled by the Ood Sphere. If the Ood had a god, it would be that central Ood Brain.
The Ood can comprehend any language, but cannot speak unless they are attached to a translator sphere. Their telepathy can only be understood by those with Psionic abilities. Otherwise, it only appears as a song which can be understood empathically.
The Ood are a nameless race, as far as mortals can perceive.
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, −2 Dexterity, −2 Strength: Ood are a highly intelligent race and are very alert thanks to their hive-minded society. Their empathic telepathy has made them charismatic in nature. However, they lack strength because they are not typically physical combatants. They also have to carry their brain around everywhere they go, costing them some Dexterity.
- Humanoid: Despite their horrifically unhumanoid facial features, the rest of the Ood body is rather humanlike.
- Medium: Being medium in stature, the Ood receive absolutely no benefits to anything with relation to size, unless a spell or effect such as Reduce Person or Enlarge Person is used upon them.
- Ood base land speed is 30 feet
- Empathic Telepathy (Ps): An Ood can communicate telepathically with any other Ood at any distance or a sentient being with psionic abilities within 100 feet. Other sentient beings perceive this telepathy as singing in their heads. From this empathic communication, such beings can easily infer the Ood's current emotive state. This telepathy can also be used for Diplomacy or Bluff checks. An Ood may choose not to use his telepathy to communicate with non-Ood. However, all Ood know what a single Ood is thinking at any given time, unless the secondary brain has been severed. If this is so, then all Ood characters are considered psionic non-Ood characters for the sake of Empathic Telepathy.
- Automatic Languages: An Ood may understand any language, at the DM's discretion. Ood read the surface thoughts of other beings to understand how they communicate. However, a powerful Psion might be able to hide his thoughts from the Ood, thus rendering the Ood unable to understand the Psion. Bonus Languages: None.
- Favored Class: Psion
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||80 years||100 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 1"||+1d4||90 lb.||× 1d6 lb.|
|Female||5' 8"||+1d4||82 lb.||× 1d6 lb.|