Myconids (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Myconids, or fungus men, are a race of intelligent fungi that live in remote reaches underground, far away from others. They are cautious creatures that deplore violence, with the exception of those who join adventuring parties and stray from home.
Myconids resemble humanoid toadstools. Myconids stand 3 feet tall. Their flesh is bloated and spongy and varies in color from purple to gray. Their wide feet have vestigial toes and their pudgy hands have two stubby fingers and a thumb on either side.
Though adventurous myconids differ from common ones of their race, they tend to be somewhat unsociable compared to most races when first meeting, but they form tight bonds with any group after a while.
Any, but most commonly lawful neutral.
Myconids typically live in any underground environment, warm marsh, or temperate forest; as long as they can keep warm, humid, and isolated.
Though they communicate amongst themselves with spores, myconids that adventure have developed the ability to speak. They tend to speak Common and Sylvan.
Myconids do not name themselves or each other since they normally have no language. In a party, a myconid would probably gain a nickname and be known as that, or decide a formal one on their own.
- Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Constitution, −2 Intelligence, −2 Charisma.: Their pudgey bodies are resilient, but they aren't as knowledgeable or sociable because of the environment in which they were raised.
- Plant: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. Not subject to critical hits.
- Small: As small creatures, myconids gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than Medium-size creatures do, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
- Myconid base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Myconids can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Natural Armor: Myconids gain a +1 natural armor bonus to Armor Class.
- Skills: +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Terran, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Ranger.
- Level Adjustment: +0.
Notes for editors:
- This is an altered version of the myconid from Monster Manual II to be able to play as a character. I tried to keep alterations as simple as giving it a mouth and language, taking away the spore thing and acid skin (although if you think I should keep that or instead have acid resistance 5, feel free to say so), giving it more environments, taking off light vulnerability, and taking off the -2 to Strength (that would make things really low). I was thinking about making Common a bonus language, but the penalty to Intelligence makes it a little difficult to learn right away.
- Plant type is a +1 level adjustment, Small size is a -1. It equals out.
- If you think the favored class of any of the races I make is weird, feel free to say something. I usually go with something completely different, so it doesn't really matter to me what it is.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|10 years||18 years||24 years||+2d8 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 8"||+2d4||30 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 8"||+2d4||30 lb.||× (1) lb.|