Lumians (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Lumians are planetouched humanoids who have been deeply affected by a particular energy type. Their personalities flow with the way these energies flow. Fire lumians for example are rash and quick to anger while Frost lumians are calm, rational and aloof. Personalities do vary between individuals as widely as humans differ but each lumian energy type brings with it distinct tendencies.
Illumians' appearances are similar to humans but their facial features are more bland having little to no visible ears or hair. Their skin glows softly with a color representative of their energy type.
Lumians get along nearly anywhere that they can but prefer to keep on the move because like most native outsiders, they have no true home.
Lumian alignments vary as easily as human alignments do.
Lumian religions tend to coincide with gods that have their energy type as one of their portfolio domains. Other than this tendency they vary as widely as humans do with their faiths.
Lumians speak Common plus one other language based on their energy type: Acid: Terran Cold: Aquan Electricity: Auran Fire: Ignan Negative: Abyssal Positive: Celestial Sonic: Auran
Lumian surnames often have an action involving their energy type such as "Thundermaker" or "Firedancer" and the such. First names vary to emulate whatever culture is nearest to the lumian organization at the time.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
- Outsider (Native)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, lumians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- A Lumian's base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Racial Skills: A lumian has a +4 racial bonus to Knowledge (the planes) and either Diplomacy or Intimidate (chosen at character creation).
- Energy Resistance (Su): At character creation a lumian selects one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, fire, negative, positive, sonic. A lumian has a resistance against their chosen energy type equal to 5 + their character level. They are also immune to the hazardous effects of environments created directly by their energy type such as those that would normally require a Constitution check (see Endurance feat). They are also adapted to living in planes with their energy subtype without harm from the effects of the plane aside from hit point damage which they have resistance to. So Acid Lumians are immune to the toxic fumes emitted by strong acids and Positive energy Lumians are immune to exploding from too many temporary hit points on a Positive Energy Plane and so on and so forth. Lumians are also treated as having a permanent endure elements effect upon them. Positive energy lumians gain this resistance against death spells, death effects, energy drain and negative levels other such negative energy effects (every 5 points of resistance blocks 1 negative level). Negative energy lumians gain the same resistance but against positive energy effects since negative energy cures them and positive energy wounds them.
- Energy Blast (Sp): As a standard action a lumian can create an effect much like the burning hands spell except that the damage dealt is of the same type as their energy resistance. This is treated as a 1st-level spell for spell level purposes. A lumian's effective caster level is equal to their character level; save DC 10 + 1/2 lumian's hit dice + lumian's Cha modifier. Lumians can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + their Charisma modifier. Positive Energy lumians instead create the effects of a cure light wounds spell while Negative Energy lumians create the effects of an inflict light wounds spell.
- Energy Sustenance: Lumians do not eat, drink or sleep. They survive by absorbing energy from the environment to sustain themselves and trance every day much like elves.
- Automatic Languages: Lumians speak Common plus one other language based on their energy type:
Acid: Terran; Cold: Aquan; Electricity: Auran; Fire: Ignan; Negative: Abyssal; Positive: Celestial; Sonic: Auran
- Bonus Languages: Any except secret languages like Druidic.
- Favored Class: Cleric
- Level Adjustment: +1
Lumians age at the same rate humans do but rather than grow wrinkled and venerable with age they merely cease to radiate their energy until finally their light "goes out" and they immediately vaporize into a cloud made purely of their energy which then slowly dissipates.