Lombax (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
(Creation of the lombaxes is credited to the wonderful people at Insomniac.)
Master mechanics that are often underestimated, the lombax people are quick to fight and quick to make peace, though only when their adversary surrenders. They are very well known for their unique appearance and their technological contributions to society.
Lombaxes have been known to be a little self-centered, but if what they believe in or what they care about is threatened, they will risk their lives to save it. They are courageous when doing so, as well as noble.
They are also a bit sarcastic, but they do it in a charming way that one can quickly forgive. They are a little short-tempered, yet eager to have fun as well.
Lombaxes are about as high as an elf, measuring up to 5 feet high on average. Though they are lighter than a typical elf, weighing around 95 lbs on average.
They have a coat of velvety fur, usually golden or a shade of yellow in color with tiger-like stripes bearing a more orange color, unlike the rest of their fur, though some have been noted in having silvery fur with ruddy stripes. They have cat-like ears that are unusually large, and a long lion-like tail.
Their eyes are large, usually green or blue in color and their nose is also cat-like. Their feet are unusual, having three toes that are widely spaced on their triangular-shaped feet. Their hands are also somewhat large for their size.
lombaxes compared to humans are far more advanced and get along well with most other races including humans. Lombaxes do not see humans as a bad race but they think that polluting our planet will cause our race to eventually crash.
Lombaxes tend to be individualists, though they consider those they like a part of themselves. They would rather fight through cunning than fight fairly.
Though they are individualists, they will save innocent lives because they aren’t heartless towards others. These traits make them chaotic or good on some scale.
The origin of lombaxes is quite unusual, being they are from an alternate material plane, but they had to flee from that universe to save their race’s existence from the last member of the cragmite race in their universe (the lombaxes‘ greatest enemy), a tragedy that occurred thousands of years ago. Their former world was known as Fastoon, a planet comprised mainly of arid desert.
Lombaxes now commonly live in towns where gnomes or elves are plentiful, though they can be found in any city of considerable size. They are also known to have their own country in the south-west on a large island, which, like their previous world, is comprised mainly of desert. They named it New Fastoon, after their origin.
Lombaxes revere Dastet, the chaotic good deity of lombaxes.
Lombaxes speak Common, though they may also speak Gnome or Elven. They also have their own language, Lombax, which uses its own script.
They mostly take Common or Elven names, thought sometimes, they take a nickname off from the name of a tool or machine in Common.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution; Lombaxes are very agile, but delicate and frail creatures.
- Humanoid (Lombax)
- Medium size: As Medium creatures, lombaxes have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Lombax base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): Lombaxes can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to see color and detail under these conditions.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks. A lombax’s large ears catch sounds ordinary races wouldn’t.
- Lombax Weapon Proficiency: Lombaxes are automatically proficient with lombaxen wrenches, light lombaxen wrenches, hand crossbows, and repeating crossbows. (New weapons to be detailed later.)
- Weapon Familiarity: Lombaxes treat double lombaxen wrenches and firearms (if firearms are part of the campaign) as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- +2 racial bonus on Jump and Tumble checks. Lombaxes are natural acrobats.
- Metalcunning: This ability grants a lombax a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual machinery, such as hidden switches, ancient dormant machines, and anything else mechanical in nature. A lombax who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual machinery can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a lombax can use the Search check to find mechanical traps as a rogue can. Lombax are skillful with machines and devices of many kinds.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft and Appraise checks involving metal or machinery.
- Lombaxes gain the Heat Endurance feat (Sandstorm) automatically at 1st level.
- +2 racial bonus on Constitution checks or Fortitude saves to resist harmful effects from heat. Lombaxes, being natural desert dwellers, can survive more easily in the desert than other races.
- A lombax can go without water for two days plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score, before beginning to experience the ill effects of thirst.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls made with crossbows and firearms (if firearms are part of the campaign) that the lombax is proficient with. Lombax favor crossbows and guns due to their mechanical nature.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Lombax. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Draconic, Goblin, and Halfling.
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass lombax takes an experience point penalty, his highest-level class does not count.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|45 years||65 years||90 years||+2d20 years|
Note: Most Lombaxes, thanks to their nanotechnology, have achieved biological immortality, so they do not age beyond adulthood, but can still perish from wounds, poison, or disease and the like. The statistics above are for lombaxes without such resources
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 5"||+2d6||62 lb.||x(2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 4"||+2d6||58 lb.||x(2d4) lb.|