Lizardfolk, Twilight (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Twilight lizardfolk are very calculated in their actions.
As a Tiny race, twilight lizardfolk are often mistaken to be fragile creatures. They have a tough coating of scales, however, and are very nimble. They come in various patterns and colors depending on their lineage. They have no eyelids, and have large round eyes. They also have a prehensile tail from birth, but when they are attacked by large predators, they often drop their tail to distract the creature. As a result, most adults do not have tails.
Twilight lizardfolk generally stick to their small colonies and generally do not have contact with other races. When threatened, they will use their natural magic to drive away other races.
Twilight lizardfolk tend to be Neutral: they serve only nature.
Twilight lizardfolk tend to live in tropical forests because they are an arboreal species.
Twilight lizardfolk do not tend to have specific religions, they vary from tribe to tribe, but usually they involve a god/goddess of nature.
Twilight lizardfolk use a primitive form of draconic that scholars call pre-draconic. There is no evidential proof that pre-draconic actually came before the current usages of draconic, but there are similar etomological characteristics between the languages and scholars simply assumed that the simpler language would be the predecessor. Some newer theories contest this notion by claiming that pre-draconic is a tribal variant that evolved from the draconic subsets that were spoken by slaves of Ophion.
The language has relatively few verbs and nouns, each taking different meaning in different contexts. Their number system is extremely systematic and repeats sounds for various powers of ten. The sounds for numbers are the following:
- 0 - Na
- 1 - Ka
- 2 - Kz (this sounds the same as Ks and Ksz to almost all other races, but some with draconic as their first language can tell the difference)
- 3 - Ra
- 4 - Ks
- 5 - Ksz
- 6 - Kh (this sounds like K to almost all other races, but some with draconic as their first language can tell the difference)
- 7 - K
- 8 - Rr (this sounds like a rolled r. The lizardfolk use the same sounds as a growl to produce this)
- 9 - Nk
- repeat - Ss
- unknown - Zz
Ex. Ksz-Nk-K = 795, Na-Ss-Ksz-K = 700000, Zz-Ss-Kz-Ra = 3xx (300 to 400)
Syllable sounds are difficult for twilight lizardfolk to produce, so their words often have long strings of consonants. Their tongues and mouths are longer and much more flexible and as a result they are able to produce 24 more consonant sounds than humans.
Despite their primitive language, they are just as capable thinkers as humans. They are just less able to convey their ideas verbally to each other, so non-verbal cues play a very large role in their society.
Twilight lizardfolk usually do not have names for their people. Instead they have their job and rank. Loosely translated, various shamans would be called shaman 1 (Ma-Ka), shaman 2 (Ma-Kz), shaman 3 (Ma-Ra), etc.
The sounds for various jobs are as follows:
- Leader - Ak
- Shaman - Ma
- Warrior - Kra
- Hunter - Trr
- Slave - Thh
- +2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, −4 Strength, −2 Constitution: Twilight lizardfolk have a close bond with nature and have a higher wisdom to represent their natural bond. Their size grants them some nimbleness, but their natural toughness slows them down. Being so small, they are not very strong compared to larger races.
- Humanoid (reptilian)
- Tiny: As Tiny creatures, twilight lizardfolk gain a +2 size bonus to Armor Class, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +8 size bonus on Hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are one-half of those of a Medium character.
- A twilight lizardfolk's base land speed is 15ft. (3 squares)
- Twilight lizardfolk have a climb speed of 10ft. (2 squares) because they are arboreal creatures: they may always take 10 on climb checks and may use their Strength or Dexterity score for climb checks, whichever is higher.
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- +2 natural armor.
- +4 racial bonus to Hide checks in forested areas.
- +10 racial bonus to Jump checks: twilight lizardfolk are natural jumpers.
- Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft., 0ft.
- Racial Hit Dice: A twilight lizardfolk begins with three levels of humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +1.
- Racial Skills: A twilight lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, and Jump. Twilight lizardfolk always treat Hide as a class skill.
- Racial Feats: A twilight lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it two feats.
- Natural Magic Bond (Ex): Twilight lizardfolk may treat all sorcerer spells as divine spells and use their Wisdom score as their primary spellcasting attribute for sorcerer spellcasting. Arcane spell failure still applies even though they can cast arcane sorcerer spells as divine spells. They can still qualify for classes and abilities as if they cast sorcerer spells as arcane spells.
- Natural Spellcasting (Ex): Twilight lizardfolk cast spells as if they were a 1st level druid or a 1st level sorcerer. This must be chosen at character creation.
- Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds twilight lizardfolk for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
- Automatic Languages: Pre-draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer or druid.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|20 years||40 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||1' 0"||+2d6||3 lb.||× 1/2 lb.|
|Female||0' 10"||+2d6||2-1/2 lb.||× 1/2 lb.|