Leonin (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Leonin are a proud and noble race. The males engage in combat, while the females hunt and raise the young. While engaged in combat, Leonin are brave and chivalrous, never backing down from a challenge, and never resorting to underhanded trickery. While Leonin are not engaged in war, they commonly train. When they are not training, Leonin can often be found hunting or holding ritualistic celebrations.
Standing between 7 and 8 and a half feet, Leonin are tall, imposing creatures. They are lion-like in appearance (sort of obvious, given the name). They have claws rather than nails, and they have long tails to help them balance while they run, for they often lean forward to decrease wind resistance. The males have long, flowing manes, while the females do not. Female Leonin are somewhat shorter than males, with the tallest females only reaching 7'5" feet.
Leonin don't openly embrace those of other races, but at the same time do not scorn them. Once a Leonin befriends another person, regardless of race, he is loyal to the death. Leonin get along best, however, with the wild elves, who often share their beliefs.
Leonin are most often Lawful Good, although they sometimes (but rarely) stray from that axis.
Leonin often live in savannah-like areas, but can be found elsewhere as well. Most Leonin prides are nomadic, similar to Barbarians of other races, but are rarely found in cold areas. Some Leonin who seek enlightenment travel to cities.
Leonin most commonly worship the same gods and goddesses as the wild elves. Leonin also worship the spirits of their ancestors and of the animals that they hunt. The spiritual leader of a Leonin pride is usually a shaman.
Leonin speak Common. Any other languages learned by Leonin are usually due to the small amounts of contact they have with others
Leonin usually name themselves after heroes of old, but may gain a new name by accomplishing some sort of feat. The pride's shaman usually works with the parents of a newborn cub to help decide the cub's name.
Common names for Leonin males include: Oyere, Leunn, Rayk, Rakld, Bajin, Samkal, Rakhack, Risul
Common names for Leonin females include: Isai, Iessi, Raebea, Shier, Arila, Renaes, Imdra, Isechu
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, −3 Charisma. : Leonin are strong and able warriors, but do not often encounter those of other races, so they aren't skilled in arts such as Diplomacy.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Feline): Leonin are lion-like in appearance, strong, proud and regal.
- Medium: Leonin get no bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Leonin's base land speed is 40 feet.
- Courage (Ex): Leonin gets a +2 bonus on Will saves against mind-affecting abilities and fear effects. Lions are the symbol of courage, and Leonin receive this symbol as well.
- Roar (Su): A Leonin can roar up to three times per day. Each roar releases a blast in a 60-foot cone that duplicates the effects of a Bane spell and deals an extra 1d4 points of sonic damage per character level. An opponent can halve this damage with a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + Leonin's class levels + his Cha modifier). The save DC is Charisma-based. An opponent who succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that Leonin's Roar for the next 24 hours.
- Leonin have a Rake attack that deals 1d6 damage.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Elven, Orc, Dwarvish.
- Favored Class: Ranger.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||70 years||90 years||+10d4 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|