Kobolds, Whiskered (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
 Whiskered Kobold
Kobolds are well known for being weak and cowardly creatures without any morals or honor. However, the whiskered kobolds of the Yagura region (an oriental campaign setting) are slightly different. Still, retaining the normal kobold structure rendering them physically weak, they have overcome foreign stereotypes and are accepted in society.
Whiskered kobolds are timid creatures with a high code of honor, however, much like other kobolds, most tend to be rather blunt, harsh, and disrespectful. This shows itself in petty reasons for duels, taking more than is given, using nasty or underhanded tactics to get them out of a situation and mainly arguing a lot. This behavior is usually targeted at other Kobolds due to their timid nature and fear of larger races.
Their more solitary nature fuels their greedy and competitive side, this leading them to always seek rare or exotic items just to be better than the other kobolds they know (competitive and cranky). Kobold raids result in the stealing of anything from necessities, such as food and clothing, to items of value, such as magical trinkets and jewelery.
 Physical Description
Whiskered kobolds stand only 2 to 2.5 feet tall. However, they often are slightly hunched in posture when going about their daily routines. Whilst running, however, the kobold is swift and elegant, moving faster than most two legged creatures of its size.
The whiskered kobolds' skin is tough and often golden-yellow to brown in color. They have pale orange eyes due to the kobolds evolving to live in the light rather than the dark. Their usually nasty, unkempt teeth are sometimes replaced with tooth-shaped jewels.
Male kobolds stand taller than female kobolds and have large manes of multi-colored hair, along with long, thin mustaches that are often as much as half the kobolds' height in length. This hair is very rarely styled and is often just left to grow ever longer. Female kobolds are completely bald and are duller in color than the male kobolds. Kobolds weigh about 40 pounds and reach maturity at the early age of 6, though they can live to the age of 100.
Unlike other kobolds, the whiskered kobolds do not dwell in gangs and tribes, but often live alone, only meeting with other kobolds to show off, argue, trade, or reproduce. Due to this solitary nature the kobolds seek ways to better themselves in the views of other, larger races.
Known for their crafting skills and natural talent for finding things, they often find a place under samurai households as either weaponsmiths or as loyal retainers. They are found often to be in monasteries training among monks who value them for their dexterity and ability to find things quickly. Most humans and spirit folk value and respect whiskered kobolds and are always willing to give them an opportunity, whilst most other races pay them little attention and see them as a nuisance.
Whiskered kobolds are nearly always lawful and follow the terms of honor in society. They tend to be neutral or evil in alignment, but are rarely good due to their selfish and greedy ways.
Whiskered kobolds live alone but usually integrate into other societies hoping to gain status and wealth. Their homes are often crowded with items that they have collected over their lifetime; this is due to their love of rare or exotic objects and the kobolds' need to always hoard more and more.
Whiskered Kobolds tend to adopt the religion of the people that they find a place to work and serve with.
Much like other kobolds, whiskered kobolds speak Draconic which sounds not too dissimilar to that of a yapping dog. However, most have lost this ability due to integrating with other societies for too long and now only speak the most common language of the region, while some may be lucky enough to learn more languages of those around them.
A whiskered kobolds name is often very simple and straightforward due to parents caring very little for their young and leaving them after a few years to fend for themselves.
Male examples: Aka, Btu, Jan, Hak, Tun, Tyn, Get
Female examples: Sai, Nei, Min, Hit, Bta, Lyn, Jui
 Racial Traits
- Type: Humanoid
- Have the dragonblood subtype
- Stat Bonuses: -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Charisma: whiskered kobolds are weak but nimble; sadly due to their rash nature they less charismatic.
- Size: As a small creature, a Kobold gains a +1 size bonus to its Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls and a +4 bonus on hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than humans use and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a medium character.
- Base Land Speed: whiskered kobold base land speed is 30ft
- Darkvision: Kobolds can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Kobolds can function just fine with no light at all.
- +4 racial bonus on Craft (weaponsmithing) due to the kobolds natural ability to craft and that they have been the weaponsmiths of Yagura for generations
- +4 racial bonus on search checks due to their greedy and keen nature
- +4 racial bonus on jump checks due to hind legs made for jumping
- Detect Magical Items (Su): A kobold's senses are more aware of magic and it’s properties. If a Kobold gets within 10 feet of a magical item, she knows that it is magical. However, she does not know how powerful it is, what school it is from, or even were it is. However, the Kobold is allowed a Charisma check (DC: 20) to pinpoint were the magical item is. When using Detect magic to identify what school of magic the item comes from, the Kobold does receive a +2 racial bonus to the check.
- Whiskered kobolds also gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their AC. (This is due to their scaly skin.)
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Spirit Tongue, Gnome, Gremlin, Draconic.
- Favored class: Monk. A multiclass whiskered kobold’s monk class does not count when determining whether they take a experience point penalty.