Inumimi, Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
This is a variant template of the "Inumimi, Oreisa" Race by Eroneko.
 Inumimi Creation Myth
Existing only in a high–magical setting, the inumimi's legend of origin is steeped in lore and mystery dating back an indeterminable span of time. One story says they are from a lost and isolated land. In this land, there was an evil and deranged Sorcerer who subjugated a large area of human settlement. Instead of fighting, the human beings, accustomed to years of peace and prosperity, had lost their will to defend themselves. After the Sorcerer established his dominion, he openly began stealing people away using his magical army of armor for his own personal experimentation. Using the abducted villagers, the Sorcerer hoped to create an army of strong warriors who would obey him indefinitely. Eventually, the villages in the surrounding grew desolate and empty, leaving only the few towns and cities to cower in fear at the possibility of abduction. One day, the Sorcerer sent his entire army to abduct an entire village. When they arrived, they demanded that 500 people accompany them back to the Sorcerer's castle. With only roughly a 1000 people in the village, no one wished to depart. However, appearing from a local monastery dedicated to the god Pelor, a group of 500 worshipers offered themselves for the entire village. The quota satisfied, they were lead away to the Sorcerer's castle.
The villagers were originally jubilant and thankful for the selfless sacrifice of the worshipers. As the days passed, however, they grew sad that they could not have stopped anyone from taking them away. Their sadness turned to rage as they began a general revolt against the Sorcerer. They fought with such tenacity that the small village managed to defeat the small magical army that was sent in to quash them. Although they suffered a high number of casualties, their courage served as a spark for the neighboring human settlements. Eventually, the entirety of the human population under the Sorcerer's control revolted against his rule and attacked en masse against his castle. By the time the human forces managed to defeat the failing remnants of the Sorcerer's magical army and break down the gate, the Sorcerer had trailed his newest experiment: the inumimi. A few inumimi showed signs of being warped and evil, but the 500 who gave themselves for the small village remained pure and far from the Sorcerer's original vision. The Sorcerer, realizing this, quickly crafted the Name Brand, binding all 500 to his will. Just before the spell was completed, the human revolutionaries broke in and slew the Sorcerer.
However, the damage had been done. The land was ravaged and depopulated, and the humans who survived the experiment were forever changed. Though they looked relatively normal, their psyche was molded and channeled into a finding new master. The original worshipers became the ancestors of the modern inumimi. They migrated outward from the original land, taking companionship with humans and other races throughout the entire world, along with the Name Brand spells crafted by the original Sorcerer.
Inumimi are mostly playful and helpful to most other sentient races, taking after their canine and good natures. There are a few serious, more stoic inumimi, but they are generally more unique occupying positions such as guards. Although they are very similar to humans, most of the negative personalities present in humanity isn't present within inumimi. Inumimi enjoy socializing with good or neutral creatures, but generally try to avoid engaging with evil creatures. After meeting and confirming a good or neutral creature, the inumimi will be very trusting of that creature; On a number of occasions, this trust is taken advantage of for personal gain or enjoyment (especially pranks). Inumimi, when feeling they are threatened, revert to a more defensive level of engagement in order to deter further aggression.
When in the presence of his/her master, the inumimi is, for the most part, passive and submissive. There are more playful relationships with their master, but inumimi are more reserved when in the master's presence.
 Physical Description
Inumimi stand at around 5’5’’ and looks like an ordinary human with the exception of a pair of dog ears replacing the regular human ears and a tail. The eye color varies widely, but the hair color is generally along the lines of the inumimi's ears and tail color. Their build is very similar to a very lean human, and their distinction between male and female is also similar to humans. Each inumimi, if appropriate for the game, can transform into their predetermined breed of dog (Dog Shape). They usually wear light clothing, and almost never wear medium or heavy army, instead opting to use their natural body's strength and dexterity to their advantage. They generally use human crafted weapons, but some have been known to specialize entirely with their fangs and fists.
The majority of inumimi have naturally good relations with most intelligent humanoid races. However, they are most naturally inclined to humans, who they bear a great deal of similarity with. Inumimi treat any new races they meet as good until proven otherwise, making them appear foolish and gullible. As a result, they are a favorite prank target for halfings and other mischievous races because of their naive tendencies. Because of their nature, most inumimi will gravitate towards characters with a good or neutral nature. If confronted with an evil alignment character, an inumimi will generally try to distance himself/herself from that character.
An inumimi's relationship with his/her master is generally characterized by unwavering loyalty. If around a good or neutral master, an inumimi will follow each task with exuberance, even if the inumimi doesn't necessarily agree. On the other hand, it isn't unheard of for an inumimi's evil master to have a negative affect on the inumimi's alignment; the inumimi subjugated to the whims of an evil master will mostly try to change his master's alignment over changing their own.
Inumimi, along with mating with other inumimi, may mate with humans. The children are a natural combination of the parents genes, but will either be fully inumimi or fully human. This is also true for elves, except that the child is either elf or inumimi (as in human).
By nature, an inumimi is generally some good alignment. There are also some neutral inumimi, except this is usually not the norm. Evil inumimi are almost non-existent, unless influenced by a powerful, evil master or dark magic. They see other creatures of good and neutral alignment as possible friends, while they treat evil alignment creatures with disdain and revulsion, with spite, or simply ignore the creature.
Inumimi do not have a “homeland”. Instead, inumimi reside with whatever sentient races are willing to keep them. In most cases, these are mainly humans, along with smaller numbers living with half-elves, elves, and dwarves, in that order. If not domesticated, inumimi will live on the fringe areas of these races, exhibiting either a quiet nomadic lifestyle, a sedentary lifestyle, or migrating “work–for–hire“ lifestyle with a clan/house as their family structure.
The inumimi generally pray to their master's god, if they have any. However, the inumimi have been known to pray to Pelor for his good nature towards common people; The inumimi believe that Pelor, the lawful good deity of commoners, will protect their masters just as they do.
Much like their culture, the inumimi have borrowed their entire language from humans. Lacking any racial language, all inumimi (if kept by humans) speak Common. They may also speak the language of their master, if taught to them.
For Inumimi, names are considered an invention of their masters and, thus, an important element of their personality. Generally, the master will assign give a name to an inumimi when it's young, but it isn't uncommon for more matured inumimi to be assigned names. The names given depend on the culture and feelings of the master.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Constitution, +8 Dexterity, +2 Charisma −4 Wisdom, : Inumimi are physically enduring, but are slightly less intelligent than the other races.
- Humanoid(Human): Although for the minute dog features, inumimi resemble humans.
- Medium: Inumimi have no bonuses because of their size category.
- Inumimi base land speed is 35 feet: Because of their dog attributes, they can run slightly farther than the average human.
- Dog Fangs (Ex): The unarmed strike is replaced with a fang attack. The fang attack is equal to the unarmed strike of the inumimi, except that it deals lethal damage. If an inumimi wishes to deal nonlethal damage, then it takes −3 to aiming.
- Name Brand (Su): When given a name, the inumimi may have that name magically branded into their skin by their master (only if the master has the ability to use basic magic and access to the knowledge in game). By doing so, any command given by the master to the branded inumimi must be obeyed, regardless of the consequence. This effect is only usable by the current master of the inumimi. The inumimi cannot make a Will save for this effect. The name is branded in black around the collar bone, and is not visible in Dog Shape. The inumimi will generally keep the name hidden, as this ability is, usually, originally employed by an evil or controlling master. The branding process lasts roughly 7 hours to complete.
- New Master (Sp): When an inumimi’s master dies, the Name Branding turns white and becomes dormant. By reawakening the brand, the inumimi is tied to a new master. The master must fulfill the same requirements in Name Brand to perform this contract. If a former master is resurrected (i.e. necromancy), this new contract becomes null, instead being replaced with the older contract. This process lasts only 1 hour to complete.
- Master and Servant (Ex): If an inumimi has designated an unofficial master, that inumimi gets a +1 for all battle-related roles if within 20 feet of the designated master. These bonuses increase by +1 for every five levels (i.e. +1 bonus for levels 1-5, +2 bonus for levels 6-10, etc.) If the inumimi has a Name Brand with that master, the bonus is doubled, and the range increased to 40 feet.
- Master's Presence (Ex): If an inumimi is in the company of his master, he/she suffers a −2 to his/her Diplomacy and Gather Information. However, if using Bluff to defend his/her master, the inumimi gains +2.
- Inumimi have a +2 racial bonus to Jump, Listen, Spot, Survival Checks, and Handle Animal (if the animal is canine).
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Depends on master (if any).
- Favored Class: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
- Level Adjustment: +0
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|200 years||350 years||400 years||+1d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 8"||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 4"||+2d8||100 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|