Half-Nymph (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Since the beginning of time, humans have always felt an allure towards the amazingly beautiful nymphs of the wilderness. On occasion, the nymph reciprocates the attraction, and inevitably as a result, half-nymphs are created. The child of a nymph and a human brings together the dangerous combination of the nymph's appearance and body, and the human's versatility and mind.
Usually the result of a paring of a nymph and a human but in some cases a half-nymph can draw their mortal heritage from a half-elf
Most half-nymph characters have nymph mothers, this of course being because there are very few known male nymphs. However, there are some known instances of an extremely rare case where a female human does find and then fall for one of the few rare male nymphs and they reproduce, making a male nymph as the parent. Half-nymphs are born as a male or female with an equal chance.
Like their mothers, a half-nymph both loves and reveres nature to more or less of an extent, but unlike an actual nymph, a half-nymph does not have the dedication, or the long life span, to stay inside the nymph woods for all eternity. Half-nymphs are naturally charming and likable, getting along with most anyone they meet. They also will generally have the curiosity, inventiveness, and ambition of the human parent, along with the love of nature and free spirited nature of the nymph parent.
To humans, half-nymphs strongly resemble more of their nymph lineage, while to nymphs, they look more like humans. A half-nymph's height on average ranges from five to six feet tall, and weight usually ranges from 85 to 175 pounds with males being noticeably taller and heavier than females. With their amazing and sleek figures, deep penetrating eyes, full luscious lips, long silky hair and perfect skin, half-nymphs are (needless to say) an ideal standard of beauty for most humanoid creatures. Many half-nymphs tend to have blue eyes with hues ranging from bright sky blue to a deep topaz blue, but other Exotic and vivid colors such as Amethyst, Verdant Greens, and Autumnal Oranges and Ambers are by no means uncommon. A half-nymph reaches adulthood at 20 years old, and can live to be 185 years old. Half-nymphs, unlike most other races, retain their physical beauty all of their lives; even while on their death bed, dying of old age, half-nymphs rarely look older than a middle age human.
Half-nymphs try to get along with everyone else. They are adept at fitting into many other races communities and making themselves valuable and welcome. Half-nymphs particularly get along well with half-elves whom they see as kindred spirits being both half human and half of a what is seen as a graceful and beautiful race. Often, because of their intense beauty, most any humanoid creature (and especially those of the opposite gender) are quite happy to get along very well with a half-nymph.
Half-nymphs share the chaotic bent of their nymph heritage and like humans can be either good or evil. Their nymph heritage gives a greater chance of a good (or at least neutral) half-nymph, as opposed to an evil one. Like nymphs, half-nymphs value personal freedom and creative expression, demonstrating neither a love of leaders nor a desire for followers. They chafe at rules, resent others' demands, and sometimes prove unreliable, or at least unpredictable.
Half-nymph communities usually reside in wooded areas, most likely in the treetops. They are most generally isolated from other races except for elves and the nymphs that live in the forest that they call home. They grow and harvest their own food from crops, livestock, and game animals and rarely ever buy their food, especially from dwarves. If the growing seasons are bad then they will accept trade from other communities. If there are individuals that live outside of the forest home, you will most likely find them in elf communities. Since it is rare for a nymph to breed with anything, this race is very rare. You will never find any bigger than a small town made-up mostly of Half-nymphs.
Half-nymphs are most likely to worship and pray to deities that have themes of nature or have aspects of nature in their portfolios or nature related domains. Commonly worshiped deities, for example, could include (from the Players Handbook) Ehlonna, Obad-Hai, (from the Faerun campaign setting) Chauntea, Lliira, Mielikki, Shiallia, Silvanus, Sune.
Half-nymphs do not have any language of their own, but they do commonly learn the languages of both of their parents while growing up: Common and Sylvan.
Half-nymph names are commonly related to nature and beautiful animals (eagles, cats, etc), beautiful concepts (flowers, sunshine, etc) or that merely sound beautiful. Some half-nymphs may uses names that are Elven in convention or that mean something about nature or beauty in Elven. Some, few rare half-nymphs change their names to human names.
Female names: Alika, Carmita, Cecilia, Drusilia, Kaitani, Kalliyan, Lalani, Shandina, Soriya
Male names: Amara, Ratanak, Sangha,
- +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
- Medium: Half-Nymphs have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Half-Nymph base land speed is 35 feet
- Lowlight Vision (EX): An Half-Nymph can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Fey Blood (Ex): The Half-Nymph is given the Fey type for all spells, effects, and magical abilities, etc. that affect the fey type.
- Druidic Affinity (Ex): A Half-Nymph Druid gets +6 on Wild Empathy checks, and one extra charge of the druid's highest spell rank.
- Skills: A Half-Nymph gets +4 on swim checks and can choose to take a 10 on a swim check regardless of distractions.
- Dreaded Cold Iron (Su) Being of Fey origin grants a Half Nymph a certain amount of resilience against attacks granting her DR5. However, like other Fey she is vulnerable to Cold Iron, but her mortal blood ironically makes a half-nymph even more vulnerable to cold iron. Whenever she is hit by Cold Iron it not only ignores her DR but it does double whatever damage it would otherwise have done. Example: when you break a half-nymph's AC and roll damage you get a total of 5 damage; however, since you are using a Cold Iron weapon you multiply that damage by two to get a total of 10 damage.
- Fey Immunities: Half-nymphs are immune to magic sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
- Keen Senses: Half-nymphs receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
- +1 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks: Half-Nymphs get along naturally with all people.
- Automatic Languages: Common, and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Druid
- Level Adjustment: +0
The Fey within
Half Nymphs are inherently fey and show their fey heritage in many ways. However, some--through devotion to nature, time spent in the Fey wild or perhaps through a gift from their Nymph parent or other powerful fey--manifest their full innate potential.
By taking an additional level adjustment Half-nymphs can gain the Half-Fey template. Doing so grants them the following:
- +2 Dexterity; -2 Constitution; +2 Wisdom; +2 Charisma; + 1d2 or 1d4 to appearance (DM's discretion)
- Additional +2 to saving throws against enchantment spells and effects
- 50% chance of having wings with a fly speed of twice the Half-nymphs base land speed.
- Level Adjustment +2
- Fey Magic Half-Fey gain spell-like abilities. A Half-Fey must be of the appropriate character level to cast a spell-like ability.
Table: Half-Fey Spell-like Abilities ---1st Charm person at will, hypnotism 1/day ---3rd Enthrall or sleep 1/day ---5th Snare 3/day entangle ---7th Confusion or emotion 1/day ---9th Mind fog or lesser geas ---11th Dominate person or hold monster 1/day ---13th Mass invisibility 1/day ---15th Geas/quest or mass suggestion 1/day ---17th Insanity or mass charm 1/day ---19th Polymorph (any object) or Otto's irresistible dance 1/day