Groundbolds (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Groundbold's are normally nocturnal creatures. During the day they are grumpy, cruel and sadistic in their methods. During the night, if well rested, a groundbold is normally a cheerful, charismatic creature. Of course, you can't tell any of this due to the fact they can't talk anything but their own language.
Groundbolds, unlike their distant relatives, kobolds, are more of a dog like creature, with some characteristics of a simple dog. The majority of groundbolds have fur coated bodies, with mole like claws on their hands. Their heads are similar to that of a pug's, with a rabbit like nose. groundbold can reach up to 5' in height. Their small size allows groundbolds access to areas normally unreachable by most races, and their mole claws allow them to burrow a short distance into the ground. Due to their fur, groundbolds seldom wear clothing, unless it is to help them blend in. Groundbolds come in the following colors: brown, black, white, gray, green.
Due to their nocturnal natures, and their inability to speak anything but groundbold, the majority of races ignore groundbolds, treating them as outsiders. A few races, such as elves humans, orcs, see them as nothing more than simpleminded prey. Kolbolds however, due to their ability to understand groundbold, are on good terms with groundbolds, and are a groundbolds main way of trading and communicating with other species.
Groundbolds, due to being a tunneling based creatures, often find themselves digging into places they shouldn't be. After years of this, groundbolds have taken a curious fascination of trespassing. Due to this, they are never any good based alignment. They are either: neutral, chaotic neutral, lawful evil or chaotic evil.
Groundbolds, being tunneling based creatures, are use to living in dark, cavern like areas. They are, however, sometimes found in rocky areas, or dark places. They are also okay with high places, due to years of living in rough terrain has made them use to climbing. In fact, the only places they are not that good with is sea level, or anywhere full with water.
Groundbolds, although not the most religious of races, have adapted themselves for all religions. Their main deity though is Varuckt, Lord and Master of the earth and climbing.
Groundbolds, speak their main language which naturally is groundboldian, but they can also speak a tiny bit of kobold. Groundbolds can understand orc, comman, trollish, elven.
Groundbold names are most often dictated by when they were born, where they were born, who their parental groundbolds were, or the very first thing they saw outside their caverns. For example: Winters, craggyhole, Midsummer dew, blade of grass
- Ability modifiers: +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con, -2 Str: Due to their small size, groundbolds find it easier to duck and weaver through opponents, with a basic instinct their race possesses. However, due to their small size, they are not particularly strong, and seldom get into fights, so do not have as much health as one would expect.
- Humanoid: Although their features look animalistic, groundbolds are human like in proportions.
- Small: As a Small creature, a groundbold gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than humans use, their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Burrow: Groundbolds can burrow through dirt but not rock. They can burrow at 20ft a turn. Creatures can't follow them as they use the materials to fill in behind them if they are fleeing.
- Base land speed is 20 feet. If running on all fours, a groundbold can move 40ft, but can not attack.
- Ground bolds gain +2 to climb and move silently checks
- Automatic Languages: groundbold, kobold, basic common. Bonus Languages: Draconian, mere-creatures, elven, orc.
- Favored Class: Rogue
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||40 years||60 years||+100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 6"||+1d4||50 lb.||× (25)lb.|
|Female||4' 3"||+1d4||lb.||× (23)lb.|