Grandmaster (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
- In the next year, you will have to make sacrifices. You will not see your family. You will not rest. You will be drilled daily. All you will do is fight and march. One day you will be the pride of Tanris, and become Grandmaster.
- "The battle is a siren call for many. They rush toward victory... or defeat. With wit and magic, some blast away their opponents... only to be skewered when they run out of spells. Some augment their capabilities and turn into frightening killing machines... only to succumb to the next dispel. Some are master-swordsmen, surpassing all others in skill... only to see their weapons unable to defend against the simplest of spells. All of them have their strengths, but each also has a weakness.
- Listen carefully young captains of Tanris, before you can conquer your enemy, you must conquer yourself. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Your weaknesses will be beaten out of you with each mile you march and each enemy you kill. Your strengths will be honed with each town you raze. After you have conquered yourself, you will be ready to learn how to conquer your enemies. With stratagem in your head and a sword in hand, you can become the master any fight.
- --General Penubius, Grandmaster of Tanris
A Grandmaster is the supreme master of the martial arts. His biggest strength is versatility... the Grandmaster can fight anywhere, any time, but only on his terms. His biggest weakness is pride... unrelenting hubris that drives him from one battle to the next.
To qualify to become a Grandmaster, a character must fulfill all the following criteria
- Base Attack Bonus: +13
- Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Combat Expertise, Weapon Specialization (any martial weapon).
- Skills: Climb 8 ranks, Jump 8 ranks, Ride 8 ranks.
- Special: Must prove worthy to be accepted at elite fighting camp and spend one year training with a Grandmaster.
| Base Attack
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+0||Fighter's Training, Grandmastery|
Proficiencies: The Grandmaster gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.
Fighter's Training (Ex): A Grandmaster adds his Grandmaster level to his fighter level in order to determine which feats are available to him.
Grandmastery: At every level, a Grandmaster can select one special ability from the ones below.
- Ranged Power Attack (Ex): A Grandmaster can use the Power Attack feat with any ranged weapon for which he has the Weapon Specialization feat. For every point he subtracts from his attack, he can add one point of damage if he hits the target. This ability otherwise works as the Power Attack feat.
- Mounted Full Attack (Ex): A Grandmaster can take a full attack action during the move action of his mount. Between any of the attacks, his mount must move at least 5 feet. His mount can not enter a square it has just left, although it can return to that square later during the move action.
- Punishing Blow (Ex): A Grandmaster ignores the first 5 points of damage reduction when attacking with a weapon that he/she has Weapon specialization for.
- Reach Out (Ex): A Grandmaster gains reach with any melee weapon he has the Weapon Specialization feat for. He still threats any adjacent squares.
- War Power (Ex): A Grandmaster gains a +1 insight bonus to Attack and AC whenever he wields a weapon he has the Weapon Specialization feat for. This Grandmastery can be taken multiple times. Its effects stack.
- Weapon Maneuvers (Ex): A Grandmaster can trip with any melee weapon he has the Weapon Specialization feat for. Additionally, he treats it as a two handed weapon for any disarm and sunder attempts.
- Weapon Versatility (Ex): A Grandmaster can choose to deal bludgeoning with a piercing/slashing weapon or to have a nonlethal weapon be made to deal lethal damage (but not lethal to nonlethal), at no penalty with a weapon he has the Weapon Specialization feat for.