Giants (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Giants greatly enjoy displaying their strength. They are self-confident and would do anything to win a bet or game, but like being at ease and having a good meal perhaps even more. The more restless spirits among the giants often leave their homesteads to depart on adventures out of boredom. Lack of challenges or occasions to prove themselves to others dulls them, and makes them pack a few belongings and set off. Giants do not want to be compared with hill-giants, whom they have no bonds with except that they occasionally like to throw a boulder at something. They are “just sturdy fellows,” they say, and they do not stink.
These rougher, sturdy humanoids are the embodiment of physical strength. They are broad shouldered, robust, bear-like creatures with lively chestnut or amber-brown eyes peering from underneath their heavy eyebrows. Thick dark body- and facial hair covers large parts of their tanned skin, although the women are seldom seen with a more than modest amount of this curly fur. They also are usually a bit paler of skin, but they weigh never less than the men.
A giant can't stand any form of authority more than one step higher than himself. Families of giants usually assemble under one capable chieftain, who does little more than resolving disputes and coordinate the families in times of struggle. They don't generally get along well with other races, especially those who are smaller.
Any, though there's a tendency towards chaos.
They can found anywhere throughout hills and mountains and some large dense forests.
They worship the gods of the giants: Annam (N), Hiathea (NG), Ialanis (NG) and Memnor (NE). (These are Forgotten realms gods. They may need a new deity that better fits their alignment)
The general languages spoken are Giant and Common but some Giants learn orc, goblin, dwarven, terran, gnome, or gnoll.
- +2 Str, -2 Dex: Giants are very muscular. Their large size makes them even stronger, but also less agile.
- Giants belong to the giant type.
- Large size creature: Giants get all the benefits of having large size: -1AC,-1to hit, can use larger weapons, higher base speed, unarmed attack damage 1D4, larger carrying capacity, -4 hide, +4 on grapple checks, etc...
- Despite their size, giants' reach is only 5ft.
- Base speed 40
- Exotic weapon proficiency: giant boulder. Each giant has his or her personal throwing boulder with which the giant is proficient. It's a big rock a starting giant character gets for free. The boulder can only be thrown to attack, it cannot be used in melee. It does 2D6 + 1,5 Strength mod blunt damage; has a critical threat range of x2; weighs 40 lb and has a range increment of 20 feet. The boulder can be carried under one arm, but needs two hands to be thrown. A giant has only one boulder at all times, so he/she has to get it back after having thrown. If a giant should ever lose his or her boulder it would be a loss, but he/she could go find a new rock to get fond of.
- +2 racial bonus on fortitude saves
- Skills: (-4 hide: from size). -2 move silently : they are large and heavy so have a harder time not making a lot of noise when moving around. -2 listen -2 spot : due to their size giants pay less attention to small details (small sounds and movements are even smaller to a large creature). +2 intimidate: Giants are tall, strong, hairy and look more impressive than smaller humanoids. +2 survival: Giants don't live in cities as men do. Their ties to nature are still stronger.
- +1 attack bonus with throwing weapons.
- +2 to saves vs fear: Their larger size and muscles makes them more confident of themselves and less easily scared.
- +1 attack bonus against aberrations, +1 attack bonus against orcs : These enemies are often encountered by the giants in the areas where they live.
- Low light vision
- Languages: giant, common bonus languages: orc, goblin, dwarven, terran, gnome, gnoll.
- Favoured class: Barbarian.
|Adult||Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||125 years||190 years||250 years||+2d4 years|
|Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|8'0"||+2d12||650 lb.||×2d12 lb.|