Escarians (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Escarians think slowly, but when they think, it's with purpose. They're ones to go over every possible outcome before making a decision. They are perfectionists, slowly going over every detail until it is flawless. They tend to be very polite and accommodating -- knowing that the other races look upon them with disgust, they will do anything to make a good first impression and get their company to look past their ugliness.
An Escarian looks like a snail with arms and legs. They stand from 5 to 7 feet tall, with men being a tad bigger than the women. They have giant shells on their backs and they may withdraw into those shell when they feel threatened. Their head is slightly humanoid, with eye stalks and a slow moving, slimy, raspy mouth. Their arms and legs are similar to humans, though they have no toes. Their torsos look like those of slugs. Their bodies are perpetually covered in a layer of slime.
Most people look upon Escarians with disgust. Escarians try to get people to look past this, but with failure mostly.
Escarians tend to walk the path of neutrality, though they can be any alignment. The fact that they're ostracized may sometimes spark a bitter hatred in them, which may cause some of them to be evil.
Escarians love moist places; they tend to form towns around or in swamps or rain forest. Most towns are made of about 20 Escarians living together. Knowing what it's like to be ostracized, they welcome all and treat everyone with the respect they deserve.
Escarians aren't very religious, though there are plenty that will worship any deity that is prominent in their area.
Escarians know common and Escarian, a rare language that sounds like slimy air bubbles popping.
- +2 Strength and Constitution, -2 Dexterity, Intelligence and Charisma:
- Monstrous Humanoid: Escarians are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Escarians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Escarian base land speed is 20ft
- Additional feat at first, fifth, tenth, fifteenth and twentieth level
- Hard Shell, Soft Body (Ex): An Escarian's hard shell provides it with a +2 natural armor bonus to AC, but attackers get a +2 bonus to confirm threats against them due to there soft bodies.
- Withdraw (Ex): When an Escarian takes the full defense action, he may withdraw into his shell for a total of a +8 bonus. It takes a move action to come out of its shell.
- Clingy Slime (Ex): An Escarian's slimy but clingy body provides it with a +2 bonus on climb and grapple checks.
- Eyestalk Feelers: An Escarian's eye stalks can also sense things around them, Escarians gain Blind Fight as a bonus feat at first level.
- Water Dependent: An Escarian needs twice as much water as normal and become dehydrated in half the time.
- Salt Vulnerability: An Escarian is especially weak against salt, for every ounce of salt he touches, its treated as an Inflict Minor Wounds spell, he must also make a fortitude save (DC: 12 + every ounce of salt) or become paralyzed for 3 rounds.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Escarian. Bonus Languages: Any non-secret.
- Favored Class: Druid.
- Level Adjustment: 0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|120 years||160 years||200 years||+1d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 0"||+2d12"||220 lb.||× (+3d20) lb.|
|Female||4' 8"||+2d12"||200 lb.||× (+2d20) lb.|