Elves, Exiled (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Dunesti (Which means Exiled Elf in Estilex) are arrogant and intelligent. Dunesti are also cold and slightly distant, knowing that surivial in the desert is hard, and they need to do whatever is required to surivive. Knowing that they do survive in the hostile land is the cause of their sense of superiority. Dunesti try to think of all the risks of an action, but because of the speed of thought they don't take long to make decisions. This allows them to be able to make hard decisions very quickly.
They stand at the same height as Karmainians, with less weight because of their lithe and thin bodies. They have tanned skin, and slightly pointed ears. Their eyes aren't almond shaped unlike the Newesti, looking more like that of a Karmainian. Their hair is dark and normally long, serving to keep the sun's glare and heat off their faces.
They have slower metabolisms than Newesti or Karmainians, which is very useful when travelling the desert, but this often causes them to gain weight faster if they aren't nomadic. This also slows the effects of poison slightly, which is useful in that most creatures of the dunes have dangerous toxins.
Dunesti are seperated from the Fey unlike the Newesti, and as such cannot breed with Fey, the aging process is much quicker, and they don't naturally merge with the Feywilds. This has made them more likely to be able to procreate with Karmainians and the children that result aren't sterile.
They aren't seen as elves anymore by the Newesti, as they were exiled long ago, but since that was eras ago they are instead treated like Karmainians. They are also currently in a war with the Karmainians of North Karma so most are suspicious of each other at best. Dunesti are friendly with all other species though, because of a treaty between Sumra and most other nations. They also strangely friendly with Aegis because they didn't reach Sumra during the Aliēnus War.
They tend towards Chaotic Neutral, doing whatever is necessary for them to survive.
They rule the Empire of Sumra. Sumra is a the largest country in the world of Keran, being of continental size. It is a giant desert with the exception of the Mountain ranges in the east and the forests beyond the mountains. It has many cities in it, with the largest being Sumrana a city on the back of a colossal golem in the image of a Tortoise. With the exception of Sumrana, all the major cities are built from sand and clay, both of which are empowered by magic.
The reason Sumra's a desert is because the Sun Rana heats it more than anywhere else. He burns the entire desert, but his focus is centred on the city of Sumrana itself. This has caused the people of Sumrana only able to go outside at night, as the surface of Sumrana at day becomes hot enough to set even the toughest and wettest flesh aflame.
There are very few oasises, but those that exist are surronded by small towns which rely on its water. Bandits normally attack these town's for water.
During the season of Desertbane it is basically impossible to survive in the wastes. It gets so hot that flesh dries and sets alight. Water nigh existant. The only refuge is underground or inside the city of Sumrana.
In Sumra the common language is Sumran.
They turned there backs on the gods long ago, so there isn't much religious practice in Dunesti culture. They generally only have temples to the Moons of magic and Atlan, goddess of water. The Dunesti hate the divine Rana as he lays waste to Dunesti land each day through his unrelenting heat.
In addition to the Divines, it is legal to worship Demon Princes and the Infernal Lords in public. This strangely has reduced the amount of cults in Sumra, with most instead opperating as policed religions.
They are all taught to speak Sumran from a young age, this language is based off an ancient dialect of Estilex with several words of Infernal mixed in. When spoken its words sounds poetic but give off a cold and distant persona.
They are given their names from their parents two weeks after they are born. This name is generally words in Sumran.
- Male Names: Belshatzzar, Dawid, Filippu, Gedeon, Jericho, Samuilu, Zaboulon
- Female Name: Jescha, Merob, Michol, Naamah, Sepphora, Thamar
- Surnames: Bolshadi, Masajaes, Pascaes, Tyser
- +2 Dexterity, –2 Strength.
- Humanoid (Elf).
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Dunesti have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dunesti's base land speed is 30 feet.
- Desert Endurance: Dunesti receive a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot and cold weather. A Dunesti also counts as having the Heat Endurance Feat.
- Desert Magic: When in the Desert a Dunesti gains +1 caster level to all spells.
- Dunesti Proficiency: A Dunesti is automatically proficient with Scimitars, Shortbows and Katar's.
- Light Sensitivity: Dunesti are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell, after 1d4 rounds in bright light the Dunesti recovers from being dazzled.
- Low-Light Vision: Dunesti can see quadrupel the distance of Karmainians in Moon-light or otherwise shadowy illumination.
- Night Life: Most Dunesti live out their lives at night, rather than the day. As such they take a -4 racial penalty to appraise, search, and spot checks while in bright light. But they gain a +4 racial bonus to Appraise, Search, and Spot checks while in Shadowy Illumination.
- Slow Metabolism: A Dunesti gain a +2 racial bonus against poison. They also only require only one-half the the food and water it takes to sustain a Karmainian.
- Favored Class: Wizard.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||275 years||250 years||+5d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d8||100 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d6||80 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|