Dragonborn, Keran Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
True Dragonborn (A warrior choosen by Bahamat) are Devoted to Bahamat's cause, having chosen a pure and noble path of service to the King of Good Dragons. This choice was not lightly made, but arrived at through ceremony and contemplation. Dragonborn have given up their former lives, loves, and interest for a hard life of duty. A Dragonborn, therefore has a strong sense of identity of themselves with a clear purpose in life. This causes them to be more content with what they have than other species in Keran.
But a Reborn Dragonborn (A rare child to two Dragonborn) is different. They weren't allowed to choose their destiny, unlike their parent, instead being forced into the destiny of killer of evil dragonkind. This causes them to be more agressive than most other people.
A Dragonborn stands around 5 foot to 7 feet tall and is covered in scales. The colour of these scales can be from a Dark Sanguine Red to a Shining Pure White. A Dragonborn is generally of muscular build, regardless of gender. Instead of hair, a Dragonborn has a few tendrils which after a week raise and harden into horn like structures.
Normally Dragonborn are only created when a Karmainian or similar creature makes a pact with the god Baham. They then enter a metaphoric state there they become encased within a fleshy egg-like sac. Inside the egg they decide on their Aspect. After eight hours they exit the sac and come out as a Dragonborn regardless of what they once were. While they are being "born" the Dragonborn seems to lose its reproductive system during the transistion. A Dragonborn "birthed" in this way is called a True Dragonborn.
Also in the late Second Era when Tiamus attacked, most Dragonborn were killed and their souls were damaged. As such Baham grant 1 in 10 True Dragonborn the ability to breed with other dragonborn and they retain their reproductive system instead of losing it during the transformation. The child would have the soul of one of the Dragonborn which died when Tiamus attacked. It wouldn't have the memories or personality of the orginal, but they did have the same aspect as its orginal. A Dragonborn "birthed" in this way is called a Reborn Dragonborn. Reborn Dragonborn are always born with reproductive systems.
Dragonborn take a strategic view towards other humanoid races. Anyone and everyone might be useful to the Dragonborn cause. These folks can and should be employed in the fight against Tiam's spawn.
In addition a True Dragonborn tends to hold members of its original race in a place of high esteem and gentle affection. Having grown up as that creature they better understand them and their culture.
A Reborn Dragonborn generally hate True Dragonborn (Especially the two who birthed it), seeing them as fools who have given up the only thing that makes mortals special.
True Dragonborn are normally some form of good, as they have dedicated their lives to the cause of slaying evil dragons. They cannot be evil as Baham will revoke his gift from the Dragonborn.
Reborn Dragonborn are generally chaotic, and doesn't care about harm coming to others. This causes them to steer toward evil acts, which allow them to finish each mission more efficently at the cost of there morality.
They have no homeland. They closest thing they had to a homeland is now destroyed. The Ruins was a once a small nation of Good Draconic creatures and Karmainian's. The goddess Tiamus saw that they were a threat to her children and flew over the nation. Then she opened all her heads, and let out their breath weapons upon the terrain. The land is now a wasteland were only abominations dwell, except in a single location. A kobold city built in the middle of a volcano. The Dragonbonr see this as a single sign of hope for a future nation.
True Dragonborn view Baham simultaneously as their deity and their father. They accord him honour and worship. Baham allows his children to worship other deities as long as they are of Good Alignment, but they seldom do.
Reborn Dragonborn generally hate the gods. They see themselves as pawns in gods schemes, and know that there creator will never let them go.
Dragonborn know all the languages from their previous life and normally try and learn Draconic the Language of Dragons to help gain allies or frighten enemies.
True Dragonborn regularly keep their old names to remind them of what they once were and what they have become. But recently some True Dragonborn have been taking new names in Draconic to symbolise they have are a new person after rebirth.
Reborn Dragonborn instictively know of the name of its previous self as uses it as its name.
- +2 Con, -2 Dex: Dragonborn are hearty and healthy, but their bodies are stiff and slow moving.
- Humanoid (Dragonblood): Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Dragonborn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dragonborn base land speed is 30 ft.
- Draconic Aspect: Baham has blessed the Dragonborn with aspects combining some of the best attributes of Good Dragons. Upon completing the Rite Of Rebirth the Dragonborn must choose which one of the three aspects to manifest. Once the choice is made it cannot be changed. See Below for the Aspects
- Draconic Dodge: +2 Insight bonus to Armour Class against creatures of the Dragon Type.
- Inborn Courage: A Dragonborn has a +5 racial bonus on Fear Effects.
- Favored Class: Paladin.
- Heart: A Dragonborn who selects this aspect gains a breath weapon. The specifics of the breath weapon are determined by whether the Dragonborn is a True Dragonborn or a Reborn Dragonborn.
- Wild Heart (Su): A Reborn Dragonborn who chooses the Heart Aspect gains a Breath Weapon. The breath weapon is a bright, shining line that coruscates with every elemental colour. The lines length is 5 feet per Hit Die the Dragonborn has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath Weapon deals 1d8 damage, plus an extra 1d8 for every 3 HD the Dragonborn possesses. The Damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing on use as the Dragonborn chooses. A successful reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the Dragonborn's HD+ her Con modifier) halves the Damage. A Dragonborn can use their breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.
- Focused Heart (Su): A True Dragonborn who chooses heart as her draconic aspect gains a breath weapon and energy resistance. The breath weapon can be either acid, cold, electricity, or fire, chosen at first level. The line’s length is 10 feet with an aditional 5 feet for every 2 Hit Dice the dragonborn has, up to a maximum of 60 feet at 20 Hit Dice. The breath weapon deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the dragonborn possesses (2d8 at 3 HD, 3d8 at 6 HD, and so on). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the dragonborn’s HD + her Con modifier) halves the damage. A dragonborn can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. The energy resistance is of the same type as her breath weapon. At first level the energy resistance is 2. At 6 HD it increases to 5, at 9 HD increases to 10, and culminates in immunity at 12 HD.
- Mind (Ex): A Dragonborn who selects the Mind Aspect sharpens her sense, gaining immunity to Paralysis and magic sleep. She gains Darkvision out to 30ft and low-light vision, plus a +2 racial bonus to listen, Search, and spot checks. At 6 HD, the Dragonborn's Darkvision extends to 60ft At 9 HD, the Dragonborn's Darkvision extends to 90ft, and her low-light vision allows her to see three times as far as a human in shadowy illumination. At 12 HD, the Dragonborn's Darkvision extend to 120ft, and her low-light vision allows her to see four times as far as a human in shadowy illumination. At 15 HD, the Dragonborn gains Blindsense out to 30ft.
- Wings (Ex): A Dragonborn who selects the wings aspect hatches sporting fully formed wings. Dragonborn can use these wings to aid their jumps (granting a +10 racial bonus on jumps) and to glide. Those with 6 HD or more can use their wings to fly.
- Gliding: A Dragonborn can use her wings to glide negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20ft of forward travel for every 5ft of descent. Dragonborn glide at a speed of 30ft with average manoeuvrability. Even if a Dragonborn's manoeuvrability improves she can't hover while gliding. A Dragonborn can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Dragonborn becomes unconscious or helpless while in mid air, her wings naturally unfurl, and powerful ligaments stiffen them. The Dragonborn then descends slowly in a tight corkscrew and only takes 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the actual distance of the fall
- Flight: When a Dragonborn who selected the wings aspect reaches 2 HD, she gains a flu speed of 30ft with average manoeuvrability. A Dragonborn can't fly when carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. A Dragonborn can safely fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to her Con modifier (Minimum 1 round) . She can double this length but is fatigued by such exertion. The Dragonborn is likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day of flying. Because a Dragonborn can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight she can remain aloft for extended periods, even of she can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued. When she reaches 4 HD, a Dragonborn has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. She can fly at a speed of 30ft (average manoeuvrability) with no more exertion than walking or running.
A Dragonborn with the flight ability can use the Run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|150 years||250 years||500 years||+5d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 2"||+2d10||125 lb.||× (3d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 9"||+2d10||90 lb.||× (3d4) lb.|