Darkkin (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
[[Race Description::Tar black humans from a world without natural light.]]
 Physical Description
Darkkin look like humans, but they have tar black skin and hair. Their eyes are a dull gray.
Most races find that darkkin are a little unnerving to be around, as they look like shadow creatures and are often demure and depressed. However, they aren't much different from humans, and thus have the same relationships with other races as humans have.
Darkkin may be of any alignment.
The Dark World is a harsh and oppressed land. The stone cities of the darkkin are slowly swallowed by the sands of great deserts that dominate the darkness. Food is scarce as plants only grow in small groves lit by magic. The darkness of the world is weak and light penetrates twice as far as it would elsewhere. Scavenging animals are hunted as food in the alleyways where drifts of sand wash in constantly among the many sandstorms in the darkness. The air is always a mild chill and the skies are clear. Water is welled up from the depths of the ground, pure, fresh and cold. Dark dragons demand sacrifice from the people as they offer their magic and protection from complete annihilation as the desert slowly claims their lives and their spirits.
Darkkin may also pay worship to other good-aligned deities.
Darkkin speak Common.
Darkkin share much of the naming conventions of humans.
 Racial Traits
- HumanoidHumanoid (HumanHuman): Darkkin are humans from the Dark World.
- MediumMedium: As Medium creatures, darkkin have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Darkkin base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision (Su) out to 60 feet.
- Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds darkkin for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
- 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
- 1 extra feat at 1st level.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass darkkin takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
- Level Adjustment: +0.
- Base Effective Character Level: 1.
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
 Darkkin Ritual Magic
All darkkin are capable of contributing to a Darkkin Ritual. These rituals are very limited, and come with several restrictions. Darkkin Rituals cannot perform epic magic.
- Spell effects can be duplicated using Darkkin Rituals, at a casting time of 1 hour per spell level. Example: It takes 3 hours to cast a 3rd level spell, during which time, the participants can take no other action other than participate in the ritual.
- Four times the spell's level in darkkin must be present to perform the ritual. Example: At least 12 darkkin must participate in a ritual to cast a 3rd level spell.
- A darkkin may only participate in a ritual if his character level is at least equal to the spell's level. Example: To participate in a ritual of a 3rd level spell, a darkkin must be at least 3rd level himself.
- A darkkin cannot participate in a number of rituals that exceed the total character level of the darkkin per day. Example: A darkkin with 6 character levels could participate in three 2nd level rituals in one day, one fourth level and two first level spells, or
- Spells with an Experience component are allowed, but the experience drain is shared by all participants at one quarter of the total value, regardless of the number of darkkin participating in the ritual.
- Zero level spells are treated as first level spells for determining all of the above.
- Participating in a ritual leaves the participant fatigued for one hour unless they make a Fortitude save DC 10+the spell's level.
- A ritual leader must make a Perform (darkkin ritual) check with a DC 10+the spell's level to initiate the ritual. The other participants do not grant a bonus to this check.
 Races of Rom
Other races from Rom include: