Coach (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Editing:||Constructive edits welcome|
- 1 Coach
- 2 Trick Plays
- 3 Coach Feats
- 3.1 Blue Team, Extra [General, Coach]
- 3.2 Blue Team, Greater [General, Coach]
- 3.3 Drilling, Beast [General, Coach]
- 3.4 Drilling, Improved [General, Coach]
- 3.5 Forceful [General, Coach]
- 3.6 Great Command [General, Coach]
- 3.7 Lead By Example [General, Coach]
- 3.8 Mascot [General, Coach]
- 3.9 Rally, Extra [General, Coach]
- 3.10 Rally, Improved [General, Coach]
- 3.11 Rally, Multiple [General, Coach]
- 3.12 Trick Play, Fastidious [Coach]
- 3.13 Trick Play, Switch-Up [Coach]
- 3.14 Campaign Information
Coaches are team captains, motivating leaders and hard ass drill sergeants. Coaches are tough, commanding disciplinarians able to get others to move, move, move on double-time. They get results by calling plays, using strategy, or at times by doing it by themselves. Teams aren't built around players, they are built around coaches.
Making a Coach
Coaches aid others and are vastly more effect as a part of team.
Abilities: A coach directly benefits from a high charisma, constitution and intelligence score.
Starting Gold: As fighter
|Saving Throws||Special||Trick Plays per Day|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||Blue Team I, Drill||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||+3||+1||+3||Drill(improves from +2 to +4 & from move to standard action)||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+5||+5||+2||+5||Inspirational Speech 1/week||1||—||—||—|
|9th||+6/+1||+6||+3||+6||Drill(no longer needs concentration checks)||1||0||—||—|
|10th||+7/+2||+7||+3||+7||Blue Team II||1||1||—||—|
|14th||+10/+5||+9||+4||+9||Great Speech 1/week||2||1||1||0|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+9||+5||+10||Drill(can be done as a swift action)||2||1||1||1|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+12||+6||+12||Blue Team III, Rally 5/day||3||3||3||3|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Coach.
Blue Team (Ex):
A coach instills certain traits in his team members. A coach can select 2 times his level in team members. Adding team members requires the coach and team member spend a day per level of the character selected in constant contact. Team members can only be on one team at a time. Team members retain Blue Team traits one day per level away from Coach. Coaches can remove team member as a move action, but characters retain Blue Team traits one day per level.
A coach can select any Blue Tram trait below 3 + Coach's level + Charisma score modifier. A Coach can select themselves as a team member. (E.G. A 10th level Coach with a 17 Charisma (+3) can select a trait with a rank of 16 or lower.
|Rank||Blue Team Trait|
|1st||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier on initiative checks & Quick Draw feat.|
|2nd||Team members gain +1 to hit, damage, ac and skill checks in selected terrain.|
|3rd||Team members gain +1 to hit, damage, ac and skill check verse a type of creature.|
|4th||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to charge attacks and damages.|
|5th||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to confirm critical hits and attacks of opportunity.|
|6th||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to Strength and Dexterity skill checks.|
|7th||Team members can not be shaken.|
|8th||Team members can not be fatigued.|
|9th||Team members gains +10 to move.|
|10th||Team members gain double natural healing rate, and the Campaigner feat.|
|11th||Team members gain Cleave feat.|
|12th||Team members gain Deflect Arrows feat.|
|13th||Team members gain Die Hard feat.|
|14th||Team members gain Mobility feat.|
|15th||Team members gain evasion.|
|16th||Team members gain Damage Resistance +DR -/2.|
|17th||Team members are fearless.|
|18th||Team members gain can make a full attack after a charge attack.|
|19th||Team members gain any two below traits in a selected terrain or verse selected creature.|
|20th||Team members gain +Fast Healing-1.|
|21th||Team members gain +2d6 Sneak Attack.|
|22nd||Team members are immune to ability drain.|
|23rd||Team members are immune to sleep and paralysis (as long as Coach is alive & conscious.)|
|24th||Team members gain Energy resistance 5 in a selected energy type.|
|25th||Team members are immune to death attacks.|
|26th||Team members gain + Dr -/3.|
|27th||Team members gain +4 to AC unless they are a target to a full attack.|
|28th||Team members gain +Fast Healing-2.|
|29th||Team members are immune to domination or charms effects (as long as Coach is alive & conscious.)|
|30th||Team members gain a spell resistance 10+ 1/2 Coach's level.|
A coach can improve the odds of another by drilling them. Drilling is similar to an Aid Another action. A coach may Drill a team member at a range of 30 feet, the aid adds a +2 to one of the following rolls next round; attack, damage, skill checks, AC, or Drilling may grant the target a move action. The coach must succeed with a concentration check DC 5 +HD of the target, in order to confer the benefit. Drilling is a standard action and the Coach must be heard in order to grant the aid.
At 3rd level aid granted by a coach drilling increases from +2 to +4, and from granting a move action to granting a standard action.
At 9th level a coach no longer needs to succeed with a concentration check.
At 15th level a coach may drill as a swift action.
A coach cannot drill themselves.
A coach may Rally his team to action. A coach may only rally once per encounter.
At 4th level, once per day, as standard action a coach can rally the entire team granting all allies within 60 feet a single standard action. Each affected ally takes this extra action immediately, acting in their current initiative order.
At 8th level a coach can use this ability twice per day, additionally affected team members gain a +2 to any rolls made during this action.
At 12th level a coach can use this ability three times per day, additionally affected team members gain 1d4+coach's charisma modifier in temporary hit points.
At 16th level a coach can use this ability four times per day, additionally affected team members gain the effects Freedom of Movement spell, till the end of the round.
At 20th level a coach can use this ability five times per day, additionally affected team members who have died in this encounter are affected by a Raise Dead spell.
A coach, doesn't effect himself with the Rally ability.
Commanding (Su): At 2nd level a coach becomes Commanding, by will and voice they can evoke an effect identical to the Command spell. Coaches can use this ability 1 time per two levels at will as a standard action. The save equals 10 + Coach's level + charisma modifier.
Toughness: At 2nd level a coach gains the toughness feat.
Inspirational Speech (Su):
At 7th level a coach can give an Inspiration Speech once per week. Giving an Inspirational Speech takes a minimum of 1 minute. The effects are: all team members gain 1d10+Coach Level in temporary hit points, all exhaustion and fatigue effects are eliminated, and a coach may confer an additional Blue Team trait on the team. These effects last 1 hour.
At 14th level a coach gives a truly Great Speech. Giving a Great Speech takes a minimum of 5 minutes. The effects are: all team members gain 2d10 + coach's level in temporary hit points, all exhaustion and fatigue effects are eliminated, and a coach may confer two additional Blue Team traits on the team.
A coach can uses speeches on himself.
Rage (Ex): At 11th level a coach gains the ability to rage. A coach can fly into a screaming blood frenzy a certain number of times per day, just as a barbarian. A lawful aligned coach can still rage. While raging a coach can not use any class abilities except: Rally and Commanding.
Trick Plays At 4th level a coach starts acquiring Trick Plays. Trick Plays are similar to spells, some but not all are arcane, all trick plays have a duration of 1 round or less. To learn a Trick Play a coach must have an intelligence score equal to at least 10+ the trick play level (Int 11 for 1st-level trick plays, Int 12 for 2nd-level trick plays, ect.) The saving throw against a coach trick play's DC is 10 + Trick Play level + the coach's Intelligence modifier. A coach must choose and prepare his trick plays ahead of time by spending 1 hour studying his playbook. At 4th level a coach starts knowing 1 trick plays an may acquire an additional trick plays every level. At anytime coach can learn other trick plays found in other coach's playbook with a Knowledge(Tactics) check DC 15 + Trick Play level. If the check succeeds, the coach has copied the trick play into his playbook. If the check fails, the coach can not attempt to learn the play again until he has increased his knowledge (tactics) skill.
Trick plays happen in conflict, competition or combat. All Trick Plays have a duration of 1 round or less (such as instantaneous.) All trick plays have either verbal or somatic components, the coach's choice. A coach has 1/2 the chance of arcane spell failure due to armor. A trick plays have a range of line of sight. Trick plays can target a single teammates, all teammates, a single opponent, all opponents or all involved.
Trick plays deal with specialized attacks, defense, time and position on the battlefield. Some trick plays are used as free action. A coach can not use more than one trick play per round.
- Level-1, Block (mundane) Target opponent's next melee attack to target team member is negated, if another teammate is with-in 10 feet. No Save.
- Level-1, Check Score (mundane) Coach learns hit points of teammates and opponents within line of sight. No save. Can happen prior to combat, competition, or conflict. Free action play.
- Level-1, Check the tape (arcane) Target opponent or teammate re-rolls and takes the new result. No Save. Free action play.
- Level-1, Cover the Ball (mundane) Teammates re-roll 1-s, or 1 teammate re-rolls a 1 as a free action play.
- Level-1, Down (mundane) All teammates hit by ranged attacks can go into a prone position as a free action, all range attacks misses for 1 round. Free action play.
- Level-1, Force Fumble(mundane) Target opponent must make reflex save each time they damaged or drop held items. For 1 round.
- Level-1, Injury Time Out (arcane) Transports target teammate to Coach's side. Teammate must have taken damage last round.
- Level-1, Roughing the Caster Opponent caster must succeed a concentration check 15+spell level+ all damage dealt. (Even the threat of damage, can foil a spell, IE. no damage must be dealt.) No Save.
- Level-1, Run them (mundane) Any opponent that attacks target teammate in next round is fatigued, fortitude save negates effect.
- Level-1, Set (mundane) Team members may make attacks of opportunity against charging foes. Free action play.
- Level-1, Up (mundane) All prone or sleeping team members are up and awake, and gains the quick draw feat. Free action play.
- Level-1, You're In (arcane) Touched target teammate is teleported next to another teammate who made a melee attack last round.
- Level-2, Challenge the Play (mundane) Negate another Coaches play, unless target opponent saves verse will. Free action play.
- Level-2, Defensive (mundane) Teammates gain +4 AC and Saves.
- Level-2, Double Team (arcane) Two target teammates attacking target opponent gain true strike on first melee attack.
- Level-2, Goal tending(mundane) All teammate gain additional attacks of opportunity, may attack single target twice.
- Level-2, Offensive (mundane) Teammates gain +4 to hit and damage.
- Level-2, Option left (mundane) Target opponent loses damage resistance. Reflex save negates effect, must save on each attack.
- Level-2, Out of bounds (arcane) Target opponent is held, if they did not make a melee attack last round. Will save negates.
- Level-2, Pig Pile (mundane) Target opponent makes reflex save or is knocks target prone each time they are damaged.
- Level-2, Scouting Report (mundane) - Coach learns target opponents weaknesses, including lowest save. Can not be used on first round of combat. No save.
- Level-2, Surprise Reverse (mundane) All opponents that hit teammates evoke an attack of opportunity from the hit teammate. No Save.
- Level-2, Time out (arcane) A round passes, no actions except free actions. No damage is suffered this round, all saves occurring this round succeed automatically. No Save.
- Level-3, Blitz (mundane) Target opponent must make a fortitude save each time they are damaged or is stunned for 1 round. Effects accumulative.
- Level-3, Glory (arcane) All teammates gain a Blue Trait.
- Level-3, Hail Mary (arcane) All teammate take -5 to AC but attacks which hit, are critical hits.
- Level-3, No Huddle (arcane or mundane) Any 1st or 2nd trick play in a coach's playbook as a free action.
- Level-3, Perfectly Executed (mundane) Teammates do maximum damage on attacks that hit.
- Level-3, Penalty Kick (arcane) Target Teammate gains a full round action.
- Level-3, Power Draw (mundane) All opponents must attack or move to attack target teammate unless they make a will save.
- Level-3, Prevent (mundane) All teammates take minimum damage from attacks that hit.
- Level-3, Ringer (arcane) Summons a Fighter of the Coach's level. The summoned fighter take a full attack immediately.
- Level-3, Sacrifice (arcane) Transfer all damage last round to teammate to a teammate. Will save negates.
- Level-3, Up the Middle (mundane) Opponent that is damaged by teammate is knocked prone and knocked back 10 feet. No Save.
- Level-4, Bought the ref (arcane) Teammates roll all rolls twice, teammates take best result.
- Level-4, Delay of game (arcane) All target opponents save or are dazed. Free action play.
- Level-4, In Position (arcane) Time stops. A coach can move teammates around the battlefield. Teammates can not be placed in positions they could not move to on their own.
- Level-4, Illegal Formation (arcane) Time stops. A coach can move opponents around the battlefield. Opponent's can not be placed in positions they could not move to on their own.
- Level-4, Regroup (arcane) All team members are transported to coach's side (or with in 15 ft) and in their place a Fighter 1/2 Coach's Level is summoned. The summoned fighter take a full attack immediately.
- Level-4, Rematch (arcane) Time starts again with the Coach's action last round, no effects that happened in the last round exist except the use of the trick play.
- Level-4, Reverse (arcane) Transfer all damage this round from teammate to target opponent. Will save negates.
- Level-4, Repeat Down (arcane) All teammates and opponents, reroll damage, both teammates and targets take that additional damage. No Save.
- Level-4, Shoot the Gap (mundane) Target teammate can sneak attack as a rogue of their character level.
- Level-4, Prove it (arcane) Both opponents and teammates are restored to full hit points.
Epic Coaches increase their rage, rally and blue team traits, and gain Epic Coach Feats. They no longer increase in the number of trick plays, or use of their commanding ability.
|23rd||Epic Coach Feat|
|26th||Epic Coach Feat|
|29th||Epic Coach Feat|
|30th||Blue Team Trait IV|
<-number of skill points-> + Int modifier skill points per level.
Greater Rage:Coaches gain Greater Rage, as a barbarian.
Rally: Coaches gain additional rallies per day every four levels, starting at 24th level, then 28th, ect.
Blue Team: Coaches gain additional blue team traits every ten levels.
Bonus Feats: The epic coach gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic <-class name-> bonus feats) every <-number of feats per level-> levels after 20th.
Epic Coach Bonus Feat List: <-list of bonus epic feats->.
Dwarf, Coach Starting Package
Armor: Scale (+4 AC, armor check penalty -4, speed 20ft, 30 pounds.)
Buckler (+1 AC, armor check penalty -1)
Weapons: Short Spear (1d6, crit x2, range inc. 20ft, 3lbs, one-handed piercing.)
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 3 + Int modifier.
Feat: Blue Team Extra.
Gear: Play Book, whistle, fanny-pack.
Gold: As Fighter.
Blue Team, Extra [General, Coach]
Blue Team, Greater [General, Coach]
Drilling, Beast [General, Coach]
Drilling, Improved [General, Coach]
Forceful [General, Coach]
Great Command [General, Coach]
Lead By Example [General, Coach]
Mascot [General, Coach]
Rally, Extra [General, Coach]
Rally, Improved [General, Coach]
Rally, Multiple [General, Coach]
Trick Play, Fastidious [Coach]
Trick Play, Switch-Up [Coach]
Playing a Coach
Religion: Normally coaches do not concern themselves with the greater religious or political events. They are primarily concerned with the here and now, that's not to say that on occasion they do not take sides. Coaches are also well aware that, even if religions aren't quintessential to their activities clerics often are.
Other Classes: Most recognize the value of a coach and work well with them, more typically combat classes such as fighters, barbarians and rogues who see the greatest benefit to being coached.
Combat: Coaches stay out of the direct fray, preferring to direct the action of others, however sometimes they lead by example.
Advancement: Coaches mix well with all other classes, except monks. Fighter/Coaches, Bard/Coaches, or even Wizard/Coaches are quite common.
Coaches in the World
|“||Take a big bite from them, if you can do that you win.||”|
|—Meaty Marv, Half-Orc Coach|
Battlefield, tournaments and small squads all benefit from a leader. You can find some one acting as a coach, without the title, it usually after spending time with a coach that another with want to pass on what they have learned.
Daily Life: Coaches are single minded in their dedication to perfection. All coaches develop a knack and personal strength that follows them from championships to the exact way to cook an egg.
Notables: Guys name Bull, Sparky, and unpronounceable names are reduced to letters like Coach K, L or J.
Organizations: Coaches, recognize that others do what they do. They have developed and perfected from the coaches that came before them. They also look up to the true legendary coaches and victories of the past. Their is no great coach college, but there are organizations such as kingdoms or cities where coaches past down tricks of the trade.
NPC Reactions: Most commoners do not notice the coach or give him his due, but all participants from solider to athlete give a nod to star-makers.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Local History or Nobility) can research coaches to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Coaches have an unmatched ability to aid others.|
|10||Coaches give speeches, rally teammates and use trick plays.|
|15||Coaches have great egos and terrible anger inside of them.|
|20||Great Coaches become figures of legend and surpass the mundane rule of combat into the arcane.|
Coaches in the Game
Coaches are the leaders but not the stars. A PC might be slow to realize the source of a groups strength is a coach.