Coach (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Coach
- 2 Trick Plays
- 3 Coach Feats
- 3.1 Adult Tantrum [General, Coach]
- 3.2 Annoying Command [General, Coach]
- 3.3 Bottled Rage [General, Coach]
- 3.4 Bitter Rivals [General, Coach]
- 3.5 Blue Team, Extra [General, Coach]
- 3.6 Blue Team, Greater [General, Coach]
- 3.7 Drilling, Beast [General, Coach]
- 3.8 Drilling, Self [General, Coach]
- 3.9 Drilling, Improved [General, Coach]
- 3.10 Forceful [General, Coach]
- 3.11 Great Command [General, Coach]
- 3.12 Lead By Example [General, Coach]
- 3.13 Mascot [General, Coach]
- 3.14 Rally, Extra [General, Coach]
- 3.15 Rally, Improved [General, Coach]
- 3.16 Rally, Multiple [General, Coach]
- 3.17 Trick Play, Fastidious [Coach]
- 3.18 Trick Play, Switch-Up [Coach]
- 3.19 Campaign Information
Coaches are team captains, motivating leaders and hard ass drill sergeants. Coaches are tough, commanding disciplinarians able to get others to move, move, move on double-time. They get results by calling plays, using strategy, or at times by doing it by themselves. Teams aren't built around players, they are built around coaches.
Making a Coach
Coaches aid others and are vastly more effect as a part of team.
Abilities: A coach directly benefits from a high charisma, constitution and intelligence score.
Starting Gold: As fighter
|Saving Throws||Special||Trick Plays per Day|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||Blue Team I, Drill, Rival||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||+3||+1||+3||Drill(improves from +2 to +4 & from move to standard action)||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+5||+5||+2||+5||Inspirational Speech 1/week||1||0||—||—|
|9th||+6/+1||+6||+3||+6||Drill(no longer needs concentration checks), Rival III||2||1||—||—|
|10th||+7/+2||+7||+3||+7||Blue Team II||2||1||—||—|
|14th||+10/+5||+9||+4||+9||Great Speech 1/week||2||2||1||1|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+9||+5||+10||Drill(can be done as a swift action)||2||2||1||1|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+11||+6||+11||Greater Rage 3/day||4||3||2||1|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+12||+6||+12||Blue Team III, Rally 5/day||4||4||3||3|
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Coach.
Rival (Su): A Coach declares opposing team a rival. An opposing team must be an identifiable distinct group. A district group must have two of the following: same race, class, creature type, follow the same named leader, located or from the city sized area. Once declared it may not be changed, until that group of individual is wholly defeated or the coach gains a level, such death of Haldrawn or a city is razed to the ground and renamed.
As a swift action, the Coach detect a rival within 60 feet, as long as the detection isn't being used in the rival's defined geographical area. The aura of detects commitment to a cause more than an aspect of an identity, therefore aura's are aligned creatures, even if they may other qualify for a different detection. Otherwise a Coach's detect works like a paladin's detect evil. At 10th level, the detection is always in effect.
A coach may smite a rival. A Coach adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to his attack rolls and adds his Coach level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. In addition, while smite rival is in effect, the coach gains a deflection bonus equal to his Charisma modifier (if any) to his AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the coach targets a creature that is not a rival, the smite is wasted with no effect.
The smite rival effect remains for 1 round per level of coach or until the target of the smite is defeated. At 4th level, and at every four levels thereafter, the coach may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: Coach, to a maximum of four times per day at 17th level.
Blue Team (Ex):
A coach instills certain traits in himself and his team members. A coach can select 2 times his level in team members. Adding team members requires the coach and team member spend a day per level of the character selected in constant contact. Team members can only be on one team at a time. Team members retain Blue Team traits one day per level away from Coach. Coaches can remove team member as a move action.
A coach can select any Blue Tram trait below 3 + Coach's level + Charisma score modifier. Once selected a Blue Team trait cannot be changed until the Coach gains a level or a Coach gives an inspirational speech. (E.G. A 10th level Coach with a 17 Charisma (+3) can select a trait with a rank of 16 or lower.
|Rank||Blue Team Trait|
|1st||Any Teamwork feat|
|2nd||Team members gain +1 to hit, damage, ac and skill checks in selected terrain or verse a creature type. (pick terrain type or creature type upon selecting trait)|
|3rd||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to a skill. (may change skill each day, coach need not possess skill)|
|4th||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to charge attacks and damages.|
|5th||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to confirm critical hits and attacks of opportunity.|
|6th||Team members gain + Coach's Charisma modifier to the first save made each day, and proficiency in an exotic weapon.|
|7th||Team members cannot be shaken or fatigued.|
|8th||Team members gain Sound resistance 5 and cannot be shaken.|
|9th||Team members gains +10 to move, and Dodge Feat.|
|10th||Team members gain double natural healing rate or power attack feat.|
|11th||Team members gain any two teamwork feats.|
|12th||Team members gain Deflect Arrows feat or Blind Fighting feat.|
|13th||Team members gain Die Hard feat or Cleave feat.|
|14th||Team members gain Mobility feat or Coach's Charisma modifier on Combat Maneuver Defense.|
|15th||Team members gain evasion or Coach's Charisma modifier on Combat Maneuver Attacks.|
|16th||Team members gain Damage Resistance +DR -/2.|
|17th||Team members are fearless.|
|18th||Team members gain can make a full attack after a charge attack.|
|19th||Team members gain any two below traits in a selected terrain or verse selected creature.|
|20th||Team members gain +Fast Healing-1. (only while in line of sight of Coach)|
|21th||Team members gain +1d6 Sneak Attack.|
|22nd||Team members are immune to ability drain.|
|23rd||Team members are immune to sleep and paralysis (as long as Coach is alive & conscious.)|
|24th||Team members gain Energy resistance 5 in a selected energy type.|
|25th||Team members are immune to death attacks.|
|26th||Team members gain + Dr -/3.|
|27th||Team members gain +4 to AC unless they are a target to a full attack.|
|28th||Team members gain +Fast Healing-2. (only while in line of sight of Coach)|
|29th||Team members are immune to domination or charms effects (as long as Coach is alive & conscious.)|
|30th||Team members gain a spell resistance 10+ 1/2 Coach's level.|
A coach can improve the odds of another by drilling them. The method of drilling can vary in form from a pep talk to a peppering of obscenities, but it is always verbal. Drilling is similar to an Aid Another action. A coach may Drill a team member at a range of 30 feet, the aid adds a +2 to one of the following rolls next round; attack, damage, skill checks, AC, or Drilling may grant the target a move action. The coach must succeed with a concentration check DC 10 +HD of the target, in order to confer the benefit. Drilling is a standard action and the Coach must be heard in order to grant the aid.
At 3rd level aid granted by a coach drilling increases from +2 to +4; alternative a Coach can now grant a move or standard action.
Additionally, a Coach can Drill as an attack against non-teammates with his forceful booming voice. If Coach succeeds concentration check of DC 10 + HD of the target results in target taking sonic damage equal to Coach's level. A target gets a fortitude save results in half damage. Once a target saves verse a Coach's drill they are immune for 24 hours.
At 9th level a coach no longer needs to succeed with a concentration check.
At 15th level a coach may drill as a swift action.
A coach cannot drill themselves.
A coach may Rally his team to action. A coach may only rally once per encounter.
At 4th level, once per day, as standard action a coach can rally the entire team granting all allies within 60 feet a single standard action. Each affected ally takes this extra action immediately, acting in their current initiative order.
At 8th level a coach can use this ability twice per day, additionally affected team members gain a +2 to any rolls made during this action.
At 12th level a coach can use this ability three times per day, additionally affected team members gain 1d4+coach's charisma modifier in temporary hit points.
At 16th level a coach can use this ability four times per day, additionally affected team members gain the effects Freedom of Movement spell, till the end of the round.
At 20th level a coach can use this ability five times per day, additionally affected team members who have died in this encounter are affected by a Raise Dead spell.
A coach, doesn't effect himself with the Rally ability.
Commanding (Su): At 2nd level a coach becomes Commanding, by will and voice they can evoke an effect identical to the Command spell. Coaches can use this ability 1 time per level at will as a standard action. The save equals 10 + Coach's level + charisma modifier. At 19th level a coach can command at will.
Toughness: At 2nd level a coach gains the toughness feat.
Rage (Ex): At 6th level a coach gains the ability to rage as a barbarian once per day. A lawful aligned coach can still rage. While raging a coach can not use any class abilities except: Rally or use Trick Plays. At 11th level a coach can rally prior to using all of their Rallies for the day. At 18th level a coach can enter a great rage like as a barbarian.
Inspirational Speech (Su):
At 7th level a coach can give an Inspiration Speech once per week. Giving an Inspirational Speech takes a minimum of 1 minute. The effects are: all team members gain 1d10+Coach Level in temporary hit points, all exhaustion and fatigue effects are eliminated, and a coach may confer an additional Blue Team trait on the team. These effects last 1 hour.
At 14th level a coach gives a truly Great Speech. Giving a Great Speech takes a minimum of 5 minutes. The effects are: all team members gain 2d10 + coach's level in temporary hit points, all exhaustion and fatigue effects are eliminated, and a coach may confer two additional Blue Team traits on the team.
A coach can uses speeches on himself.
Trick Plays At 4th level a coach starts acquiring Trick Plays. Trick Plays are similar to spells, some but not all are arcane, all trick plays have a duration of 1 round or less. To learn a Trick Play a coach must have an intelligence score equal to at least 10+ the trick play level (Int 11 for 1st-level trick plays, Int 12 for 2nd-level trick plays, ect.) The saving throw against a coach trick play's DC is 10 + Trick Play level + the coach's Intelligence modifier. A coach must choose and prepare his trick plays ahead of time by spending 1 hour studying his playbook. At 4th level a coach starts knowing 1 trick plays an may acquire an additional trick plays every level. At anytime coach can learn other trick plays found in other coach's playbook with a Knowledge(Tactics) check DC 15 + Trick Play level. If the check succeeds, the coach has copied the trick play into his playbook. If the check fails, the coach can not attempt to learn the play again until he has increased his knowledge (tactics) skill. At 19th level a coach use any trick play without choosing and preparing it in advance. They still must spend 1 hour study the playbook each day.
Trick plays happen in conflict, competition or combat. All Trick Plays have a duration of 1 round or less (such as instantaneous) and occur this round unless the play states that it occurs next round. All trick plays have either verbal or somatic components, the coach's choice. Arcane tricks have 1/2 the chance of arcane spell failure due to armor. A trick play has a range of line of sight. Trick plays can target a single teammates, all teammates, a single opponent, all opponents or all involved. All trick plays are a standard action unless they indicate they are free action. The DC for arcane trick plays is 10 + level of Trick + Coach's intelligence modifier. The DC for mundane trick plays is Coach's level + level of the trick play + Coach's intelligence modifier + Coach's charisma modifier.
Trick plays deal with specialized attacks, defense, time and position on the battlefield. A coach can not use more than one trick play per round.
- Level-1, Block (mundane) Target opponent's next melee attack to target team member is negated, if another teammate is with-in 10 feet. No Save. This round.
- Level-1, Check Score (mundane) Coach learns hit points of teammates and opponents within line of sight. No save. Can happen prior to combat, competition, or conflict. Free action play.
- Level-1, Check Condition (mundane) Coach learns condition of teammate. Free action play.
- Level-1, Check the tape (arcane) Target opponent or teammate re-rolls and takes the new result. . Free action play.
- Level-1, Cover the Ball (mundane) Teammates re-roll 1-s, or 1 teammate re-rolls a 1 as a free action play.
- Level-1, Down (mundane) All teammates hit by ranged attacks can go into a prone position as a free action, all range attacks misses for 1 round. Free action play.
- Level-1, Force Fumble(mundane) Target opponent must make reflex save each time they damaged or drop held items. For 1 round.
- Level-1, Injury Time Out (arcane) Transports target teammate to Coach's side. Teammate must have taken damage last round.
- Level-1, Roughing the Caster Opponent caster must succeed a concentration check 15+spell level+ all damage dealt. (Even the threat of damage, can foil a spell, IE. no damage must be dealt.) No Save.
- Level-1, Run them (mundane) Any opponent that attacks target teammate in next round is fatigued, fortitude save negates effect.
- Level-1, Set (mundane) Team members may make attacks of opportunity against charging foes. Free action play.
- Level-1, Up (mundane) All prone or sleeping team members are up and awake, and gains the quick draw feat. Free action play.
- Level-1, You're In (arcane) Touched target teammate is teleported next to another teammate who made a melee attack last round.
- Level-2, Challenge the Play (mundane) Negate another Coach's play, unless target opponent saves verse will. Free action play.
- Level-2, Defensive (mundane) Teammates gain +4 AC and Saves.
- Level-2, Double Team (arcane) Two target teammates attacking target opponent gain true strike on first melee attack.
- Level-2, Goal tending(mundane) All teammate gain additional attacks of opportunity, may attack single target twice.
- Level-2, Offensive (mundane) Teammates gain +4 to hit and damage.
- Level-2, Option left (mundane) Target opponent loses damage resistance. Reflex save negates effect, must save on each attack.
- Level-2, Out of bounds (arcane) Target opponent is held, if they did not make a melee attack last round. Will save negates.
- Level-2, Pig Pile (mundane) Target opponent makes reflex save or is knocks target prone each time they are damaged next round.
- Level-2, Scouting Report (mundane) - Coach learns target opponents weaknesses, including lowest save. Can not be used on first round of combat. No save.
- Level-2, Surprise Reverse (mundane) All opponents that hit teammates evoke an attack of opportunity from the hit teammate. No Save.
- Level-2, Time out (arcane) A round passes, no actions except free actions. No damage is suffered this round, all saves occurring this round succeed automatically. No Save.
- Level-2, Pop it back in (arcane) Target takes 1d6 damage, but is healed Coach's level.
- Level-3, Blitz (mundane) Target opponent must make a fortitude save each time they are damaged or is stunned for 1 round. Effects accumulative.
- Level-3, Glory (arcane) All teammates gain a Blue Trait.
- Level-3, Hail Mary (arcane) All teammate take -5 to AC but their attacks which hit, are confirmed critical hits.
- Level-3, No Huddle (arcane or mundane) Any 1st or 2nd trick play in a Coach's playbook as a free action.
- Level-3, Perfectly Executed (mundane) Teammates do maximum damage on next attacks that hit next round.
- Level-3, Penalty Kick (arcane) Target Teammate gains a full round action.
- Level-3, Power Draw (mundane) All opponents must attack or move to attack target teammate unless they make a will save.
- Level-3, Prevent (mundane) All teammates take minimum damage from attacks that hit.
- Level-3, Ringer (arcane) Summons a Fighter of the Coach's level. The summoned fighter take a full attack immediately. Disappears at end of round.
- Level-3, Sacrifice (arcane) Transfer all damage last round to teammate to a teammate. Will save negates.
- Level-3, Up the Middle (mundane) Opponent that is damaged by teammate is knocked prone and knocked back 10 feet. No Save.
- Level-3, Boom Bam (mundane) Trick Play last round is continued.
- Level-3, Sweep the leg Target Teammate gains a improved trip feat, and gets to immediately make an improved trip attack and adds the Coach's level to the attack.
- Level-4, Bought the ref (arcane) Teammates roll all rolls twice, teammates take best result.
- Level-4, Delay of game (arcane) Skip next round. No actions, but duration for spells and effects are reduced by one.
- Level-4, In Position (arcane) Time stops. A coach can move teammates around the battlefield. Teammates can not be placed in positions they could not move to on their own.
- Level-4, Illegal Formation (arcane) Time stops. A coach can move opponents around the battlefield. Opponent's can not be placed in positions they could not move to on their own in one round.
- Level-4, Regroup (arcane) All team members are transported to coach's side (or with in 15 ft) and in their place a Fighter 1/2 Coach's Level is summoned. The summoned fighters take a full attack immediately.
- Level-4, Rematch (arcane) Time starts again with the Coach's action last round, no effects that happened in the last round exist except the use of the trick play.
- Level-4, Reverse (arcane) Transfer all damage this round from teammate to target opponent. Will save negates.
- Level-4, Repeat Down (arcane) All teammates and opponents, reroll damage, both teammates and targets take that additional damage. No Save.
- Level-4, Shoot the Gap (mundane) Target teammate can sneak attack as a rogue of their character level.
- Level-4, Prove it (arcane) Both opponents and teammates are restored to full hit points. Coach's hit points are reduced by half.
- Level-4, Iron Lotus (mundane) Target teammate gains whirlwind feat next round.
Epic Coaches increase their rage, rally and blue team traits, and gain Epic Coach Feats. They no longer increase in the number of trick plays, or use of their commanding ability.
|23rd||Epic Coach Feat|
|26th||Epic Coach Feat|
|29th||Epic Coach Feat|
|30th||Blue Team Trait IV|
<-number of skill points-> + Int modifier skill points per level.
Greater Rage:Coaches gain Greater Rage, as a barbarian.
Rally: Coaches gain additional rallies per day every four levels, starting at 24th level, then 28th, ect.
Blue Team: Coaches gain additional blue team traits every ten levels.
Bonus Feats: The epic coach gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic <-class name-> bonus feats) every <-number of feats per level-> levels after 20th.
Epic Coach Bonus Feat List: <-list of bonus epic feats->.
Dwarf, Coach Starting Package
Armor: Scale (+4 AC, armor check penalty -4, speed 20ft, 30 pounds.)
Buckler (+1 AC, armor check penalty -1)
Weapons: Short Spear (1d6, crit x2, range inc. 20ft, 3lbs, one-handed piercing.)
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 3 + Int modifier.
Feat: Blue Team Extra.
Gear: Play Book, whistle, fanny-pack.
Gold: As Fighter.
Adult Tantrum [General, Coach]
Annoying Command [General, Coach]
Bottled Rage [General, Coach]
Bitter Rivals [General, Coach]
Blue Team, Extra [General, Coach]
Blue Team, Greater [General, Coach]
Drilling, Beast [General, Coach]
Drilling, Self [General, Coach]
Drilling, Improved [General, Coach]
Forceful [General, Coach]
Great Command [General, Coach]
Lead By Example [General, Coach]
Mascot [General, Coach]
Rally, Extra [General, Coach]
Rally, Improved [General, Coach]
Rally, Multiple [General, Coach]
Trick Play, Fastidious [Coach]
Trick Play, Switch-Up [Coach]
Playing a Coach
Religion: Normally coaches do not concern themselves with the greater religious or political events. They are primarily concerned with the here and now, that's not to say that on occasion they do not take sides. Coaches are also well aware that, even if religions aren't quintessential to their activities clerics often are.
Other Classes: Most recognize the value of a coach and work well with them, more typically combat classes such as fighters, barbarians and rogues who see the greatest benefit to being coached.
Combat: Coaches stay out of the direct fray, preferring to direct the action of others, however sometimes they lead by example.
Advancement: Coaches mix well with all other classes, except monks. Fighter/Coaches, Bard/Coaches, or even Wizard/Coaches are quite common.
Coaches in the World
|“||Take a big bite from them, if you can do that you win.||”|
|—Meaty Marv, Half-Orc Coach|
Battlefield, tournaments and small squads all benefit from a leader. You can find some one acting as a coach, without the title, it usually after spending time with a coach that another with want to pass on what they have learned.
Daily Life: Coaches are single minded in their dedication to perfection. All coaches develop a knack and personal strength that follows them from championships to the exact way to cook an egg.
Notables: Guys name Bull, Sparky, and unpronounceable names are reduced to letters like Coach K, L or J.
Organizations: Coaches, recognize that others do what they do. They have developed and perfected from the coaches that came before them. They also look up to the true legendary coaches and victories of the past. Their is no great coach college, but there are organizations such as kingdoms or cities where coaches past down tricks of the trade.
NPC Reactions: Most commoners do not notice the coach or give him his due, but all participants from solider to athlete give a nod to star-makers.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Local History or Nobility) can research coaches to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Coaches have an unmatched ability to aid others.|
|10||Coaches give speeches, rally teammates and use trick plays.|
|15||Coaches have great egos and terrible anger inside of them.|
|20||Great Coaches become figures of legend and surpass the mundane rule of combat into the arcane.|
Coaches in the Game
Coaches are the leaders but not the stars. A PC might be slow to realize the source of a groups strength is a coach.