Cinders (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Cinders are a hot-headed race, forever quarreling with other races, especially elves and dwarves. They are very prideful, to the point of arrogance. If you challenge a Cinder to a fight, you had better be prepared to back it up, because a Cinder will not stand to be insulted, or dishonored.
 Physical Description
Cinders are born with a skin texture approaching that of charcoal, and black in coloration. This skin provides excellent protection from fire, though it is not a Cinder's most distinctive feature. A Cinder's most distinctive feature is that its head is wreathed in orange-and-red fire, which their mystics refer to as "the Soulflame". This flame lasts from minutes after birth until hours after they die.
Cinders are distrustful of anyone who is not a Cinder. This is not to say they cannot have close relations with anyone who is not Cinder, but at the start they are more open and trusting of Cinders than they are to other races, namely elves and dwarves.
Cinders are a Chaotic race, tending away from the Neutral alignments. They tend to find it difficult to get along with someone without a clear opinion, even if they disagree with them. They would rather fight someone of the opposite belief than be forced to go along with someone who doesn't care either way.
Cinders normally live in small, nomadic villages in warmer and dryer parts of their world. The few permanent settlements they have normally lie in valleys by volcanoes, in deserts, but most important of all- away from water.
Cinders speak Common and Ignan. Due to their supposed descent from the Elemental Plane of Fire, this is appropriate.
The Cinders' creation is a mystery to most. Their creation myth lends credence to the possibility that they were created when Khumon, a God preparing to fight in the Primordial War, tried to make divine fire fueled by mortal materials. From the ashes of that strange fire arose the first Cinder, to the delight and amazement of Khumon. He then repeated the process, creating the second Cinder, and all Cinders since that day were the progeny of these two. This cannot be proven, as Khumon disappeared during that war, but it is at the center of their dogma, and because their cleric's spells still work, even those that worship Khumon, who is to say it isn't true?
 Racial Traits
- +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha. Cinders are athletic and are wondrous sorcerers, though they are also hot-headed and are often found getting themselves into endangering situations.
- Creature Type: Humanoid (Cinder)
- Cinders are Medium sized and take no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- A Cinder's base land speed is 30 ft.
- Special Abilities- A Cinder has the following special abilities.
- Soulflame (Ex): As a full round action, while inside the radius of damage of nonmagical fire, a Cinder regains 1 hit point per hit die.
- As a creature born of flames, Cinders are immune to fire damage. For example, if hit by a fifth-level fireball (5d6) they take no damage from the flames. Creatures around them are affected as normal.
- Fireball (Sp): At 3rd level, a Cinder gains the ability to cast Fireball 3 + 1/2 their class level times per day. Their caster level is equal to their class level. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 their class level
- Flaming Soul (Sp): Beginning at level 9, the cinder gains the ability to make its weapons become flaming weapons, as in the flaming weapons enchantment 3/day. This spell lasts 5 + their Charisma modifier rounds. At eleventh level, the duration is increased by two rounds. At thirteenth level, the damage done by this weapon deals an additional 1d6 fire damage. At fifteenth level, it can use this ability 5/day. Every two levels after that, the duration, effect and number of times the ability can be cast per day increase again in that order. For example, at level 21, a Cinder can use Flaming Soul to cause his sword to deal an additional 2d6 points of fire damage for 9 + his charisma modifier rounds, 7 times per day.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Ignan. Bonus Languages:Draconic, Abyssal, Dwarven, Goblin.
- Favored Class:Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +2