Charr (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The charr are an technological advanced cat-like race who's history is filled with war. A typical Charr only appreciates four things in life: Good meat, a fine made blade, whiskey and killing.
The charr are carnivorous feline-like humanoids. They stand on their hind legs and are taller than a human by half of an average human's height. They prefer a hunched pose when standing, but will on occasion stand tall and straight. When they are moving, and their paws are unoccupied, the charr favor running on all four limbs with a loping gait. While the males are described as being generally stronger and the females more lithe and quick..
They have a short fur from head to toe in a variety of colors and patterns, many of which are similar to those of lions, cheetahs and tigers. Their fur patterns are also like that of leopards, snow leopards, and even some fur types of common housecats. Many charr have a longer mane of fur between the shoulders and on the back of the head and neck. A male charr has less fur on the tail with longer fur only on the tip, while the female's tail has longer fur from top to bottom.
The charr muzzle is elongated and the mouth filled with prominent sharp teeth suited for their carnivorous diet. The teeth are larger on the males, particularly those on the bottom jaw which are usually considerably smaller on the female. The head has four horns, those from the top of the head are more prominent than those between the two sets of ears. The top pair of ears hears high frequencies such as a dog might, while the bottom pair hear low frequencies similar to an elephant. However, they have difficulty hearing mid-frequency sounds such as those used in human speech, which can aggravate already tense charr-human relations. Like cats, charr have six flat mammary glands hidden under their fur.
The charr have a set of sharp claws which can be used as knives for general tasks but it appears the charr tend to favour weapons when fighting.
Cubs are born fully furred, with open eyes and functional limbs. Within a few days, cubs can follow their mothers over even the harshest terrain. They eat meat within a month of birth, and are fully independent several months later. Charr mature at about the same rate as humans
The Charr have respect towards great hunters like half-giants and such other great folk. They call humans "mouse" and everything that reaches under 6 foot is to be called meat.
Seeing that the Charr have a heavy militaristic mindset and are ill-tempered, they are often mistaken for Lawful Evil. The truth is that a Charr may be of any alignment. Though Good aligned Charrs are rarely seen.
Charr mostly inhabit the same lands as humanoids, preferring grass lands with medium forest sizes and an occasional field, though they have no problems adapting to rough situations due to their fur.
The Charr have no gods, instead they have a military hierarchy as following:
- Khan-Ur (supreme leader of the Charr)
- Imperator (Leader of a legion)
- Tribune (sub-leaders of a legion)
- Centurion (commander of a few warbands)
- Legionnaire (leader of a single warband)
- Soldier (part of a warband)
- Gladium (Charr without warband, must join a (new) warband, until further notice does not even get respect from a cub)
The four Legions are:
- Ash (stealthy)
- Blood (full frontal combat)
- Iron (engineering)
- Flame (magic)
- Flame Legion is the Legion that is shunned / hated. Lore-wise it would not be advised to choose this Legion.
A Charr's Legion does not restrict his options of class.
The charr get their names from their parents and their surnames from their warband. As a cub they get taken away from their birth givers and train with other cubs who grow to become a warband. A Charr may also have a title as a surname.
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma: Charr are tough on the battlefield and show no fear or compassion.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Charr are large horned cat-like creatures who stand on two legs.
- Charr base land speed is 30 feet.
- Scent: Charr have a keen sense of smell.
- Darkvision: See in pitch-black up to 60ft.
- Fearless: +2 on saves vs fear.
- Intimidating: +2 on intimidate.
- Relentless: Charr always have the trait Relentless (+2 on saves vs. tiring. If fail exhausted rather than fatigued)
- Weather Hardened: Charr have a rather thick fur which protects them from harsh environmental effects found in (high) mountains, deserts and jungles, though when moving through these areas they have a movement penalty of -10 ft.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Charr.
- Favored Class: By Legion.
- Flame Legion: Wizard.
- Iron Legion: Any.
- Ash Legion: Ranger, rogue.
- Blood Legion: Fighter
- Cannot be paladins unless they are outcast charr or Flame Legion.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Depending on which Legion you choose:
- Ash Legion: Gain Stealthy feat, Hide, Move Silent and Open Lock become class skills
- Blood Legion: Gain Quick draw feat, Balance, Tumble and Intimidate become class skills.
- Iron Legion: Gain Rapid Reload feat, Knowledge:Engineering and Knowledge:Architecture become class skills and gain +1 on all Craft skills.
- Flame Legion: Gain Eschew Materials feat, Knowledge:Arcana, Use Magic Device and Spellcraft become class skills (you can choose Flame Legion, though Flame Legion Charr are usually shunned or killed on sight)
-Reason for editing: updated accordingly to new revision-