Bladesinger (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Boost your whole party's damage to impressive heights using your bardsong while being a formidable foe yourself.
- Unearthed Arcana
- Dragon Magic
- Complete Warrior
- Dungeon Master's Guide II
- Tome of Battle
- Magic Item Compendium
- Races of the Dragon
- Spell Compendium
- Player's Handbook II
- Eberron Campaign Setting
 Game Rule Components
- Inspirational Boost
Starting Ability Scores (Before Racial Adjustments): (Assuming 32 Point Buy) 16 14 12 15 8 13
Race: Draconic Human (Mostly for the stat bonuses, buy off +1 LA. Need 15 Intelligence and Charisma for Words of Creation)
|Saving Throws||Feats|| Class
|1st||Bard 1||+0||+0||+2||+2||Dragontouched, Draconic Heritage (Battle), Power Attack, Dragonfire Inspiration||Bardic Music, Countersong, Inspire Courage +1, Lore Song|
|2nd||Warblade 1||+1||+2||+2||+2||Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude|
|3rd||Bard 2||+2||+2||+3||+3||Song of the White Raven|
|4th||Warblade 2||+3||+3||+3||+3||Uncanny Dodge|
|5th||Warblade 3||+4||+3||+4||+4||Battle Ardor|
|6th||Bard 3||+5||+4||+4||+4||Song of the Heart||Inspire Competence|
|8th||Warblade 5||+7||+5||+4||+4||Iron Heart Aura||Inspire Courage +2|
|9th||Warblade 6||+8||+6||+5||+5||Words of Creation||Improved Uncanny Dodge|
|10th||Warblade 7||+9||+6||+5||+5||Battle Cunning|
|12th||Warblade 9||+11||+7||+6||+6||Stormguard Warrior, Combat Reflexes|
|14th||Warblade 11||+13||+8||+6||+6||Battle Skill, Inspire Courage +3|
|15th||Warblade 12||+14||+9||+7||+7||Robilar's Gambit|
|16th||Warblade 13||+15||+9||+7||+7||Improved Initiative|
|18th||Warblade 15||+17||+10||+8||+8||Optional||Battle Mastery|
|20th||Warblade 17||+19||+11||+8||+8||Diehard||Inspire Courage +4|
At level 20: Bard 3 / Warblade 17
 Optional Feats
- Defensive Sweep to generate another Attack of Opportunity with Stormguard Warrior, especially if you have a Zone Controller in the party
- Improved Buckler Defense for extra AC
- Close-Quarters Fighting for excellent defense against grapplers
 Items of Note
- Badge of Valor
- Vest of Legends
- Wand of Inspirational Boost
- Must be good (Exalted)
- Assumed stats at level 20:
- Inspire Courage: 4 (Base) x 2 (Words of Creation) + 1 (Song of the Heart) + 1 (Inspirational Boost) + 1 (Badge of Valor) = +11, Dragonfire Inspiration + Draconic Heritage (Battle) = 11d6 Sonic damage
- Strength: 16 (Base) + 2 (Race) + 6 (Item) + 5 (Tome) + 5 (Level) = 36 (+13)
- Attack Bonus: 19 (BAB) + 14 (Str) + 5 (Magic) = +38/+33/+28/+23
- Damage: 2d6 (Greatsword) + 19 (Str) + 5d6+5 (Magic) + 11d6 (Bardsong) = 18d6+24
- Total damage per attack comes out to 87 (on average). Should all attacks hit that's 348 damage. (200.1 when weighted against AC 40)
- Shore up the low Will save with Moment of Perfect Mind
That's with a regular full attack. Add extras (such as Time Stands Still, Raging Mongoose, Diamond Nightmare Blade and others) and you can reach far higher damage.
 Combat Sequence
- Full attack and maneuvers
 Munchkin-Size Me
- Get another bard or use a wand to cast Creaking Cacophony to double your Sonic damage.
- At high levels, Diehard can be used to good effect when combined with the Delay Death spell (Spell Compendium).
- Creatures with resistance/immunity to Sonic damage. Fortunately, not many of these exist.
- Bardic Music quota is equal to Bard class level.
 DM Counters
- Usual melee defences apart from AC (illusions, concealment, distance, etc)
- If you're willing to give up on the awesomeness that is Stormguard Warrior when combined with Robilar's Gambit, you can pick up the Two-Weapon Fighting tree for extra attacks. Take Two-Weapon Fighting instead of Power Attack, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting instead of Robilar's Gambit, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting as the optional feat. If you choose to go this route, a few levels of Bloodclaw Master may be appropriate.
- You can switch in Crusader instead of Warblade. If you do so, take Stone Power instead of Power Attack (combines incredibly with Steely Resolve), Endurance instead of Stormguard Warrior, and Steadfast Determination instead of Robilar's Gambit to shore up the low Will save. Finally, as the optional feat pick up Stand Still and combine with Thicket of Blades and a glaive + armor spikes for good Zone Control.
- It's possible to switch the three Bard levels and one of Warblade for Paladin and insert the From Smite to Song feat (Champions of Valor) instead of Song of the Heart to achieve full BAB with this build.
- Alternatively, one can pick up the From Smite to Song feat (Champions of Valor) in place of Song of the White Raven to switch out the Warblade levels for Paladin, the build becoming Bard 3 / Paladin (probably of Freedom) 17. If you do so, also consider picking up Initiate of Milil (Champions of Valor) to get all the bardic songs which the Bard gains access to.