Black Knight (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
A Black Knight is a leader of the forces of evil. Often found amongst the ranks of necromancers, they learn how to raise the undead to aid in their conquest of the light. Much like a paladin, they are an order of knights who fight for a purpose. Yet unlike paladins, they utilize the dark lusts of using those who have passed to forward their goals. Rarely are they found off of the battle field, even more rarely are they found amongst a party of adventurers. When they are found in small groups of adventurers though, they are almost always at the head of the group making sure that their knight's code is being upheld by the entire party.
Making a Black Knight
Abilities: The class's primary abilities are Str, Dex and Cha.
Races: Any race.
Alignment: Lawful evil
Starting Gold: 6d4× 10 gp (120 gp)
Starting Age: Moderate
|4th||+4||+4||+4||+4||Negative Aura, Raise Undead 1/day|
|8th||+8/+3||+6||+6||+6||Raise Undead 2/day|
|10th||+10/+5||+7||+7||+7||Negative Blast, Negative Resistance|
|12th||+12/+7/+2=||+8||+8||+8||Bonus Feat, Raise Undead 4/day|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+9||+9||+9||Negative Wave, Bonus Feat, Negative Resistance|
|16th||+16/+11/+6/+1||+10||+10||+10||Raise Undead 8/day|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||+12||+12||+12||Neganover, Negative Resistance, Raise Undead 16/day|
Class Skills 8 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level) Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Black Knight is proficient with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields). He is also proficient with all simple and martial weapons.
Bonus feat When the Black Knight reaches his 3rd level, he gains a single combat-oriented feat. He gains an additional feat every third level thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th, and so fourth). These feats are gained as a fighter, and must be taken from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. The Black Knight must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums. Also can not get Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, with these feats.
Negative Strike (Sp) Any melee weapon or improvised weapon that is wielded by a Black Knight may be charged with negative energy. The total bonus damage caused is increased every 5 levels (noted in the following list). If a weapon that would normally cause non-lethal damage is used, the corresponding bonus damage is also counted as non-lethal.(EG, gaining Negative Burst makes the Dark Knight lose Negative Strike).
- Negative Strike Additional 1d8 of negative energy damage (damage reduction applies)
- Negative Burst Additional 2d8 of negative energy damage (damage reduction applies)
- Negative Blast Additional 3d8 of negative energy damage (damage reduction applies)
- Negative Wave Additional 4d8 of negative energy damage (damage reduction applies)
- Neganover Additional 5d8 of negative energy damage (damage reduction applies)
Negative Aura (Su) When the Black Knight reaches his 4th level, he gains the ability to maintain a 5ft radius aura of negative energy. All creatures in this area must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + Con mod + Half Black Knight level) to resist taking 1d8 + Half Black Knight's level of damage. Undead are healed instead of damaged by this aura. The Black Knight may turn this aura either on or off as a free action. The area affected by this aura is increased by 5ft every 4th level (8th, 12th, 16th and 20th).
Negative Resistance (Ex) Upon reaching level 10, the Black Knight gains resistance against the effects of negative energy. At level 10, the negative energy resistance is 5, increasing by 5 every 5th (15th and 20th). The resistance protects the Black Knight against damage received from Inflict wounds and other spells of similar effects.
Raise Undead (Sp) Starting at level 4, a Black Knight may raise 1 + Con mod number of medium sized creature as a zombie or a skeleton. The amount of undead that he may raise per day is doubled every 4th level. To raise a skeleton or zombie, he must have the proper materials (which are detailed below). Also, to raise a larger creature, more castings must be used up. For example, a level 20 Black Knight may only raise one Colossal undead per day, as to raise one he must use up 16 castings (all of his castings for that day) as it takes more energy to raise one Colossal undead than it does to raise one medium undead. To maintain an undead creature, he must cast Raise Undead on each undead again once per week.
- Body of a creature, raised in an area strong in negative energy (EG, a graveyard)
- A jet stone (100 gp, Rare)
- Medium or smaller, 1 jet stone
- Large, 2 jet stones
- Huge, 4 jet stones
- Gargantuan, 8 jet stones
- Colossal, 16 jet stones
Note on control
- A Black Knight may only control 10 + Con mod + level of Black Knight HD of undead at one time. If the number of undead exceeds this amount, the oldest serving undead will break free from the Black Knight's control and wander freely. Said undead may be reabsorbed into the Black Knight's ranks if the total HD count does not exceed that which the Black Knight may control. If it does, the required amount in HD of undead break free from the Black Knight's control in order for the initial undead to be reabsorbed.
Playing a Black Knight
Religion: Any evil deity.
Undead: Undead creatures will not attack a Black Knight unless provoked
Knighthood: A Black Knight must be knighted
Black Knight's Code
- A Black Knight must not attack the undead.
- A Black Knight must show no mercy in combat and must strike to kill.
- A Black Knight must exact revenge for slights against them and return favors for previous kindness.
- A Black Knight must be true to his word in the presence of a superior undead.
- A Black Knight must not attack or lie to a teammate unless for reasons against their honor