Aurochs (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
An auroch is very similar to a minotaur though with differences that could be considered minimal to most humanoid races. Minotaurs look more bull like in appearance while the auroch actually look more like buffalos. Also the aurochs tend to be much more calm and level headed though they live a very nomadic lifestyle. Certain learned arts are unusual in auroch society such as wizards.
The standard for auroch personality is that they are contemplative and tend to think unlike the minotaurs love for action. However since most people can't differentiate, or at a minimum don't take the time to check, they usually take an aggressive stance towards humanoids. Towards most non humanoids they generally are very gentle and amiable.
The average auroch stands between 8 1/2 to 9 feet tall and weighs in between 900 and 1200 pounds. Skin color is normally dark though there are cases of albino aurochs (much like there are albino buffalo.) Eye colors tend to be darker, though all colors can occur in the auroch population. They have a pair of relatively short horns that are not really suitable for combat.
Most relations with aurochs will be amiable but due to constant attacks from individuals who mistake them as minotaurs they tend to be aggressive towards humanoid races (posturing, brandishing weapons but not attacking unless someone initiates combat.)
Most aurochs would be considered neutral good due to their nomadic existence. A strict law structure isn't in place, though endangering the group they live with is likely to have reprocussions.
Planes and lightly wooded areas are most favored by the aurochian people as this allows them to find food with ease (primarily they are herbivores) while giving them ample room to move as necessary.
Ancestor spirits and general nature worship with no deity in particular being favored by the aurochs.
Giant (like minotaurs) and common
Trum, Grase, Hunder
- +10 Strength, +6 Constitution, -2 Dexterity –4 Intelligence (minimum 3), –4 Charisma.
- Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
- An auroch’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of Aurochs allows them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Aurochs is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Aurochs is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Aurochs is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. Aurochs can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Racial Hit Dice: An auroch begins with seven levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 7d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +7, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5.
- Racial Skills: An auroch’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 9 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Search, and Spot. Aurochs have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.
- Racial Feats: An aurochs’s monstrous humanoid levels give it three feats.
- Weapon Proficiency: An Auroch is proficient with all martial two handed weapons like the Greataxe and all simple weapons.
- +7 natural armor bonus.
- Special Qualities: scent.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Orc, Goblin, Terran.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level adjustment +4.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|150 years||220 years||290 years||+10d8 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||8'||3d6"||900 lb.||+5d6x10 lb.|
|Female||7' 8"||+3d6||850 lb.||+4d6x10 lb.|