Andalites (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|This page needs an image. If you are an artist, or know of any image that would fit this page, please upload a picture and add it.|
Hailing from a distant dimension, Andalites were created by an unknown deity. Originally, the pocket-dimension in which they dwelled was untouched by the outside universe, but in time, dangerous creatures from parts unknown leaked in. In response, the unknown deity gave the Andalites sharp tail blades, and added two stalk eyes to their physiology. As time went by, the Andalites slowly developed powerful magics which enabled them to reach out into other dimensions.
Andalites are highly intelligent beings who can be arrogant and aloof. They would like to think of themselves as perfectly logical and rational, and while many of them are most of the time, they are times when they can give into irrational fits, usually when their plans fail. Andalite society divides males and females by tradition more than law; the traditional male occupations are the crafts (including magic) and the military; female occupations are the sciences (except for the most advanced ones) and arts. The Andalite military is almost entirely male.
In order to conserve resources, the Andalites practice zero population growth except for times of war. Typically, no more than two children are allowed, and only in serious times of population decline will three or four children per family be allowed.
Andalites possess four, deer-like legs, a humanoid upper body (like a deer-sized centaur, although some adult males can be as large as horses), four eyes (including two on movable stalks on the top of their head and two on their human-like face), no mouth (they eat crushed grass through their hooves and communicate using telepathy), and a sharp blade at the end of their long, prehensile, scorpionlike tail. The males have a large, scythe-like blade; the females have a much smaller, scalpel-like blade. Males are larger and stronger than females, but are less agile. Andalites have pink skin obscured by their fur; males have blue fur, females are colored violet. As an Andalite ages, his or her hair fades to tan on their face and chest. They have eyes of varying colors, usually different shades of green. An Andalite has seven fingers on each hand and generally has less upper-body strength than a human.
Andalites tend to be arrogant and aloof, but they have respect for races of similar intellect and power, though they try to avoid interspecies mingling by law. They particularly hate parasitic creatures as well as any sluglike animals.
Andalites tend to be lawful neutral, with a strong (yet very dry) sense of honor. The Andalites are an odd case; they have no settlements (save for three areas around inter-dimensional magical portals), and yet, they have some of the greatest minds of any sentient race.
Andalites are native to vast, grassy plains. Their home world has only a few kinds of trees and almost no forests. Andalites have no natural predators, but they evolved from a prey species. Andalites build homes called Scoops that are holes in the ground with awnings overhead to protect from rain. The majority of Andalites are extremely claustrophobic.
The Andalites have no organized religion, but venerate vaguely-established energy-beings which they believe control events in the universe, known as Ellimists. It is said by some Andalites that Ellimists gave them Telepathy by taking the forms of ancient Andalites and breeding with them. All Andalites perform rituals that honor nature. These rituals include The Morning Ritual and the Evening Ritual. A mated pair may also perform the Wish Ritual if they desire a child.
While Andalites do not have mouths with which to speak, they do have the ability to communicate using telepathy. This telepathic communication sounds like whatever language the recipient is most capable of communicating in. Archaic Andalites used their many-fingered hands to speak in sign language, and also used their tail blades to carve into rock walls. Some words are unique to the Andalite "thought-speak" language, such as shorm which is the word for tail blade and also the word for one's best friend, because if they held their tail blade to your neck you would not be afraid.
Andalites have complex, three part names joined with hyphens. The exact naming conventions are mysterious, but it is known that both the mother and the father pass name parts down to both sons and daughters alike. The first-born child shares their middle name with their father and the second-born child will take their mother's middle name. Andalite names are not necessarily gender specific. Sometimes a name that one Andalite has as a first name will be another's middle or last names. Andalites do not adopt nicknames and go by their first name.
A list of typical Andalite names:
Full Names: Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill, Elfangor-Sirinal-Shamtul, Aldrea-Iskillion-Fallan, Alloran-Semitur-Corrass.
First Names: Jahal, Ajaht, Arbat, Arbron
Titles: A military cadet has the title Aristh and is referred to by others as aristh or aristh followed by their first name. A Warrior is called a warrior. All warriors and arisths, by definition, serve a Prince or a War Prince. If an Andalite is separated from his or her people and still wishes to be a warrior or aristh, they may pledge themselves to a "prince" of a different race. Prince is not a royal title, but a military one, and most warriors hope to be elevated to Princes and later to War Princes. Ship captains are usually War Princes.
- For all: -2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence. Andalites are very smart, but their quadrupedal forms are less than graceful.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic).
- Medium : As Medium creatures, Andalites do not gain any special bonuses or benefits due to size.
- Andalite base land speed is 50 feet. Andalites are very fast runners, as swift as horses.
- Telepathy (Su). Andalites can always speak telepathically to any sentient creature with a language within 100 feet, so long as the Andalite has line of sight to that creature. They may speak publicly or privately, and need not share a language with the target to communicate.:
- Naturally Psionic: Andalites are psionic characters, and have a power point reserve of 1 power point. This does not naturally grant the Andalite the ability to use psionic powers, but it can use the power point to manifest powers if it gains them through another source.
- Tail Blade: The male Andalite's longer, scimitar-like tail blade does 1d8 slashing damage with a 19-20 critical threat range. The female's shorter, scalpel-like tail blade does 1d6 slashing damage but has an 18-20 critical threat range. For both, the tail blade is a primary natural weapon that may be used as a secondary natural weapon when wielded with weapons in the hands. As the Andalite's sole natural weapon, and being attached to a powerful tail, it applies 1-1/2x the Andalite's Strength bonus to damage.
- Herd Animal: Andalites are descended from creatures of prey who lived in close-knit herds. An Andalite separate from his or her people and planet feels extremely lonely and isolated. An isolated (or exiled) Andalite looks for a new social group. An Andalite on his or her own for more than a week takes a -1 penalty on Will and Fortitude saves. After a month, they lose their On the Lookout ability. These penalties dissipate 24 hours after the Andalite joins a social group.
- On the Lookout: Andalites' extra eyes on the top of their head, combined with their good hearing and sense of smell, are impossible to flank. Andalites enjoy a +4 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks.
- Automatic Languages: Andalite Thought-Speak. Bonus Languages: Andalite Sign-Language, Archaic Andalite.
- Favored Class: Psychic Warrior. Andalites are natural warriors, and many of them are skilled at altering their forms to better fight with their tail blades. Almost no Andalites become barbarians (and they abhor the idea) and few would become rogues (because they consider it dishonorable) unless they are in a situation where they must use guerrilla warfare. Female Andalites might become bards or wizards.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||200 lb.||× (4d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||160 lb.||× (4d6) lb.|